test no topic

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: test no topic

Postby Teazer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:56 am

Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:58 am

Teazer
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:31 am

Teazer, they have those weird "synchronization tournaments" here in Japan every year, I think. Kind of a result of the popular "group think" phenomenon. Basically, however, it boils to a cranky "director" dude who yells at all the participants and makes them practice this, like, forever. Then, they cull down people who don't perform up to speed (they often leave crying). Finally, if they win the tournament, the director gets all the praise and honor, so I wonder what would make the lackeys decide to join such a thing?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:46 am

edededed wrote:Teazer, they have those weird "synchronization tournaments" here in Japan every year, I think. Kind of a result of the popular "group think" phenomenon. Basically, however, it boils to a cranky "director" dude who yells at all the participants and makes them practice this, like, forever. Then, they cull down people who don't perform up to speed (they often leave crying). Finally, if they win the tournament, the director gets all the praise and honor, so I wonder what would make the lackeys decide to join such a thing?

interesting. I had no idea about the background but makes sense. It seemed like some insane anal level of detail to me!
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby vehu on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:31 am

this ocean will not be grasped...
vehu
Huajing

Postby Strange on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:56 am

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:43 am

This needs to be posted again: Michelle Jennneke, 100m hurdles winner in Barcelona. it's great to see someone so happy and healthy enjoying their sport.

http://vimeo.com/45784191
Michael

Postby edededed on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:22 am

Teazer wrote:
edededed wrote:Teazer, they have those weird "synchronization tournaments" here in Japan every year, I think. Kind of a result of the popular "group think" phenomenon. Basically, however, it boils to a cranky "director" dude who yells at all the participants and makes them practice this, like, forever. Then, they cull down people who don't perform up to speed (they often leave crying). Finally, if they win the tournament, the director gets all the praise and honor, so I wonder what would make the lackeys decide to join such a thing?

interesting. I had no idea about the background but makes sense. It seemed like some insane anal level of detail to me!

Yeah - Japan is totally the country of "insane anal level of detail" (emphasis on the "anal" part)! On the bright side, this means that only the Japanese can produce certain items that require the highest precision, and also that vending machines NEVER don't give you your drink/snacks.

On the other hand, you are surrounded by anal people who cannot understand why you are not lovin' following various arbitrary rules that people make for no reason. (Also, vending machines NEVER give you two drinks for the price of one.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:39 am

I've never been to Japan, except through the airport, but I have spent some time in Switzerland, which I love, but they're very strict on details. Are you saying the Japanese are more strict than the Swiss? That is a staggering thought.
Michael

Postby edededed on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:13 am

Probably - but I've never been to Switzerland, so I can't say for sure. But think of Japanese cultural pursuits like ikebana (flower arrangement) and sado (tea ceremony)... basically, the point is to learn and follow the many rules (as per your ryuha) perfectly (i.e. rotate the cup thrice before drinking, etc.). Haiku are actually constrained by certain words/expressions that you are supposed to use for them. When you name your children, there are actually lists of Chinese characters that you are allowed to use (which specify the exact ways you can write them) - this list changes from time to time.

BTW, to me, tea ceremony is one of the silliest things one can imagine - it is like me, writing down all of my habits of drinking beverages, and forcing other people to do exactly the way I do it, because I think it is the best way to enjoy drink. I shall expose my "edededed-ryu inshoku-ho ikkajo" for you here:

1. Slouch in chair
2. Admire glass of beverage
3. Guzzle glass of beverage
4. Release gas via belch if needed
5. Add chips/snacks
6. Go back to #2, and then cycle throughout until beverage and snacks are gone.
7. However! Make sure that you end with beverage.

The 9-kyu test requires adepts to be able to do this while watching their favorite show on the telly (to demonstrate that the technique is near-instinctual).

But of course, tea ceremony is much more complicated than that... Foreigners have to first get through the infernal kneeling sitting posture that you must stay in the whole time...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:16 am

Okay.... here's a nice jump....
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:19 am

Detriot

Last edited by gzregorz on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:29 am

Steve Rowe wrote:Okay.... here's a nice jump....

camera man +1
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:42 am

Kevin_Wallbridge wrote:camera man +1

No kidding... :o
chud
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Last edited by Wuyizidi on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That