Chen Yuen San Retreat

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Chen Yuen San Retreat

Postby alexsuffolk on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:08 am

thanks to all who attended the 4 day retreat of Master Chen Yuen San this past days.
Last edited by alexsuffolk on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
alexsuffolk

Re: Chen Yuen San Retreat

Postby yusuf on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:08 pm

some pictures
Last edited by yusuf on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi, Ok have had time to organise my thoughts about the seminar...

Mr Chen is a small, unassuming person. A 60 year old whose movements put many of us younger people to shame. The Tai Chi has gone very deep into his being. He has gong fu, can fight and has the taiji skills we read / hear about in the old masters. His sensing was the best I have felt, and in many instances of being hrown you would not know he was there without seeing him. It felt like one was throwing oneself. It is as if there is a ghost in front of you, no substance to his being until you are on the ground or suffering from being hit. From what I have read of old masters this is probably what it means to be a tai chi fighter. Mr Chen opened up positions to finish the opponent very smoothly & quickly. We saw a lot of demonstrations of what he could do and how his martial stuff is designed to rapidly finish the opponent, by getting him to defeat himself. One could also sense there is a lot of devastating force in his hitting too, although i didn;t see anyone get really tonked.

It was an interesting seminar with a curious mix of meditation, massage and some training. It was a lot, lot less physical training than I am used to so I have to admit that my heart wasn't in it, I spent a lot of the breaks and after the seminar doing my own physical training. However a lot of the people there talked about getting some really deep stuff and a lot of the guys were very impressed. I went along to support my girlfriend (who has no IMA experience), she also liked the basic movements enough to say she will be practicing the peng lu jie from Mr Chens system... hmm yes....

It is rare to see people who practice CMA and can demonstrate this level of martial ability, unless you are lucky enough to have a skilled teacher. If you get a chance you should go along to a seminar / class.

Yusuf
Last edited by yusuf on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:36 pm

I would love to hear more about how/what he teaches and how it differs if anyone cares to go into it. I am very curious about this teacher, I love the quality of his movement and am interested in his healing/martial connection.
somatai

Postby somatai on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:52 pm

tanks
somatai

Postby AllanF on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 pm

alexsuffolk wrote: Master Chen Yuen San's main teacher was GM Lio Pei Zhong (who learned directly from Lao Tse)

:o
His GM must be one old dude!
AllanF

Postby alexsuffolk on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:01 am

Will be adding some video footage within a few days and will link here.
alexsuffolk

Postby middleway on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22 am

my friend mike, who's opinion i trust, was fairly blown away by master chens fighting skills. Hopefully i can get over to suffolk soon to meet him.

Looking forward to the footage Alex and please let me know when the DVDs are ready. I would very much like to see them.

All the best
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:44 am

Is Mr. Chen Yuen San based in Taiwan? Anybody knows his Chinese name? Thanks
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby eddie mush on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:34 am

AllanF wrote:
alexsuffolk wrote: Master Chen Yuen San's main teacher was GM Lio Pei Zhong (who learned directly from Lao Tse)

Minor detail, "we're" on to a guy only using tai ji who can fight... ;)
Martin Lund Rasmussen

In case you are unfamiliar with Eddie Mush, he was the character in the movie "A Bronx Tale" who was a total jinx. He had a perfect track record of losing every bet he ever placed as well as jinxing everyone around him.
eddie mush
Anjing

Postby eddie mush on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 am

Alex, I'm happy the retreat went well for you guys... I'm interested in hearing more about your teachers tui na. Could you provide any info?

Thanks Martin
Martin Lund Rasmussen

In case you are unfamiliar with Eddie Mush, he was the character in the movie "A Bronx Tale" who was a total jinx. He had a perfect track record of losing every bet he ever placed as well as jinxing everyone around him.
eddie mush
Anjing

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:43 am

eddie mush wrote:
AllanF wrote:

Minor detail, "we're" on to a guy only using tai ji who can fight... ;)

yes.. not just striking .. he demonstrated enough of his method that one sees how he deals with the wrestling/ takedown type attacks
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby eddie mush on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 am

Cool Yusuf, sounds great...
Martin Lund Rasmussen

eddie mush
Anjing

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:06 am

eddie mush wrote:Cool Yusuf, sounds great...

but the other thing is one can really see the old adage.. you have to give 100% of yourself to his method or it won't work imo :)
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby doug on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:26 am

First of all, thanks to Alex for bringing Master Chen to the UK and arranging this retreat. I have been wanting to meet him since hearing about him from Alex.

It was really impressive to meet some who has a level of skill that I have only read about before. I'm still trying to figure out how he does what he does since most of the time I couldn't feel any force from him and it seemed like he was making me defeat myself.

I'm curious if any of his students have achieved a high level of skill with his Taiji. Maybe Alex knows.
Last edited by doug on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
doug
Santi

Next

Return to Been There Done That