Bagua vs. 52 Blocks

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Bagua vs. 52 Blocks

Postby Iron Apprentice on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 pm

Ba-men wrote: I know with me.. I can let my emotions get the better of me. When that happens I forget to think. When I don't think...I'm not fighting.

I always felt and experienced thinking during a fight as exactly a way to be off your game and/or get beaten up. If youre thinking and the enemy is fighting freely, Id say HE's got the advantage. In my experience both occupationally and civil-ly (is that even a word?), Ive more reacted to a situation as or before it unfolded. In my opinion, taolu, technique, apps/usage ideas, are only for body training (muscle memory,specialized conditioning, possible reflexive reaction etc). For me, its not necessarily the technical aspect that make methods work, but attributes that give the fighter the ability to use it whether it be explosive footwork and powerful lower basin, well developed sensitivity, versatile power, natural use of structure, and all-important knowledge of and experience at fighting. And then AFTER that, maybe a catalog of possible attacks, counters, and changes to draw from. But only instinctively and possibly, not "okay Im gonna do such and such now". Not saying thats what your saying just saying. The only thing you should be thinking about IMO, is what gate is open on your enemy and seizing the opportunity the best way at that time and from that position, or twarting/countering what he/she is trying to do to you. Not time for technical thought. Unless you do a super technical method like BJJ, but hey many of those guys know the same moves so what sets the great ones apart? Id say, its intelligence and how well theyve trained/conditoned their body to be natural with it. I personally am striving for 'naturalness' in my methods. where they are a part of me and what I do without thinking. To train and practice my chosen methods and then fight freely with them. Thats why I was a little thrown off at the statement "didnt use". How do you not use something youve trained for 20 yrs.

As a bouncer Ive been grabbed up by lots of folks and before I CAN think my body is trying to immediately shift structure and shock (hit) or throw or whatvever else is called for. But everyone is unique under pressure I guess. Has to be true because I definitely believe that that fight doesnt represent Maoshans ability. He was thinking (about his discontent with Lyte) too much. And not enough of reacting effectively to what Lyte was doing (who didnt do much by the way). I could be wrong. Only my vantage.

Besides the thinking part, I gotta admit I agree on all other aspects you touched upon. Well said on all accounts. These cats both stepped up period. But I still believe Mao should have done better. But if theres a part two, I know Mao wont make the same mistakes-hes much too smart for that.

Im just another asshole with another opinion. Thats my take.
Last edited by Iron Apprentice on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
better known as DAi-BoXeR
Sudan Jeffers
CLUB XINYIDAO - Head Coach
http://www.Myspace.com/ClubXYD
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Iron Apprentice
Santi

Postby Iron Apprentice on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:48 pm

ashe wrote:to the pit...

(Falling echo)Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo........... ;D
better known as DAi-BoXeR
Sudan Jeffers
CLUB XINYIDAO - Head Coach
http://www.Myspace.com/ClubXYD
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Iron Apprentice
Santi

Postby Michael on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:51 am

Lincoln wrote:After all these years of major shit talking by Maoshan (Ben Hill) about others not being able to use Bagua in a fight.
That was pretty lame!
I have been in numerous arguements over the last 10 years with him about that very same subject.
He even critisized me for gassing out in a fight at his first Bagua tournament after I had to fight 6 rounds, 2 fights, in a row and gave up the last fight because they wanted us to do a tie breaker round. I gassed out because I was too busy trying to get from Manhattan to bum fuck New Jersey where the tournament was to get ANY food that day!

You could look at it like maybe you were the only one who was worthy of criticism. If someone is just plain awful, there's no point wasting your time on them.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:18 pm

I think if anyone's going to fight under MMA rules they may as well make MMA part of their training too.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Kurt Robbins on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:01 pm

This is an opportunity for both parties to improve (takedowns and sub-wrestling).
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby RobP2 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:01 am

Kurt Robbins wrote:This is an opportunity for both parties to improve (takedowns and sub-wrestling).

Mao had a lot of clips up of himself pounding students into the floor with Bagua throws AFAIR.
Last edited by RobP2 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Uh... I said "opportunity to improve" (as you can see from the clip).
Both need to improve.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Previous

Return to Been There Done That