BTDT (1): What is IMA?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

BTDT (1): What is IMA?

Postby justincasea on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm

Blank:
I am out
Last edited by justincasea on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
justincasea

Re: BTDT (1): What is IMA?

Postby edededed on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:18 am

That is sort of true for taijiquan, not quite true for baguazhang or xingyiquan. (Quite specifically, in xingyiquan, huajing is the last of three levels, after all.)

Perhaps the easiest way to define neijiaquan is the classical definition: taijiquan, baguazhang, or xingyiquan.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:50 am

justincasea wrote:John is right about this. Any taiji practitioner would call these ‘double weight”.

Disagree.

In human anatomy, we all know waist is waist, but in Taiji waist is not where we mean waist in everyday life.

People talk about yao, yao gu, kua, dantian in Chinese, not just yao. They're obviously different things.
Ian

Postby josh on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 am

edededed wrote:Perhaps the easiest way to define neijiaquan is the classical definition: taijiquan, baguazhang, or xingyiquan.

That can't be a valid definition since none of these styles existed as such at the time that the term "neijiaquan" was coined.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 am

I like something C.J. Wang said on another thread. Where you see rooting, neutralizing and short power all in use together, you're looking at IMA. What's neat about this definition is it looks at the what not the how. Discussions of how, of course, become scrambled up in confusion pretty quickly. We see that often enough.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:17 am

"internal" is when the main focus of one's training is oriented inwards, i.e. mind "leading" body, "know yourself (then) know your opponent"

"external" is when the main emphasis of one's training is oriented "outwards", i.e. perfecting technique (usually by a lot of repetition/drills) without "listening" to oneself in the process

Then again, looking from a completely different perspective (which is also the original meaning, I guess?), there's that whole Taoist vs. Buddhist thing re. origination of IMA vs. non-IMA...
But that effectively rules out, for example, any Shaolin-based training as possibly being able to be called "internal", so that's a very different sense/meaning for these terms.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 am

1. Your premise that being double-weighted refers to weight distribution on the feet is at best debatable and at worst outright incorrect.
2. The entire latter half of your post was dedicated to not so indirectly slamming CXW, and did very little to examine the question of "what is IMA?"
3. This is out and out BTDT, no matter how you attempt to frame the question.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am

Careful man, he might be one of those "undercover grandmasters" Yusuf is warning everyone about on the other thread... Thou shalt not judge, but listen and absorb -- you know, just in case... :P ;D (j/k...)
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:32 pm

oh god not another "what is IMA" thread... I appreciate thE BTDT in the title. let's me filter it easier.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby bailewen on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:36 pm

justincasea wrote:Recently a thread of " best internal guy alive today?" has caught a lot of attention and received a lot of responses. "Best" or not depends on whom one has met, seen, heard about, ...I guess the person who started the thread was not looking for a consensus. But a more fundamental question should be answered:

what capacity can one be qualified as an "internal guy"?

Actually, I think he was just looking to produce a list of guys to be aware of so that he or anyone who read the thread would know to definitely check them out if they ever had the chance. In fact, considering who started the thread, I don't think he even really cared that much if they were really "internal" per se. He just likes learning from people who are really soft and relaxed and besides that, officially anyways, this is a board devoted to "internal" arts.

As to the definition, I tend to go with something like Dmitri's explanation. I could add a little detail but basically just what he said.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby justincasea on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:
justincasea wrote:
As to the definition, I tend to go with something like Dmitri's explanation. I could add a little detail but basically just what he said.

Thank you, Omar. Indeed, Dmitri is surprisingly knowledgeable. Originally I thought we could have a team effort here at this forum to investigate the problem from "technology advancement" perspective ( technology being human body mechanics). I probably expect too much from such a online place.
justincasea

Postby justincasea on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:58 pm

edededed wrote:That is sort of true for taijiquan, not quite true for baguazhang or xingyiquan. (Quite specifically, in xingyiquan, huajing is the last of three levels, after all.)

Perhaps the easiest way to define neijiaquan is the classical definition: taijiquan, baguazhang, or xingyiquan.

I do NOT want to leave out tonbei, LH, YQ, paocui,...etc. They are just as "internal" as the big three. Thanks.

If we understand them by the progression of understanding body mechanics (in modern day terms, it is technology advancement), we can have a spectrum, very much like optics spectrum. One one end is hard nei gong. and soft nei gong on the other end.
Last edited by justincasea on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
justincasea

Postby justincasea on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:06 pm

Bhassler wrote:

1. Your premise that being double-weighted refers to weight distribution on the feet is at best debatable and at worst outright incorrect.

Read careful or blame my language skill. You did not understand what I said.

2. The entire latter half of your post was dedicated to not so indirectly slamming CXW, and did very little to examine the question of "what is IMA?"

You think so? I did not mean it. I do think his definition of DW is debatable.

3. This is out and out BTDT, no matter how you attempt to frame the question.

I am glad you are so sure. Congratulations to your martial success.
Last edited by justincasea on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justincasea

Postby justincasea on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Dmitri wrote:"internal" is when the main focus of one's training is oriented inwards, i.e. mind "leading" body, "know yourself (then) know your opponent"

"external" is when the main emphasis of one's training is oriented "outwards", i.e. perfecting technique (usually by a lot of repetition/drills) without "listening" to oneself in the process

Then again, looking from a completely different perspective (which is also the original meaning, I guess?), there's that whole Taoist vs. Buddhist thing re. origination of IMA vs. non-IMA...
But that effectively rules out, for example, any Shaolin-based training as possibly being able to be called "internal", so that's a very different sense/meaning for these terms.

if you take the perspective of Wang Zongyue according to his classical "On Taiji", we see another way to look at the distinction of IMA and EMA that is not based on taoist vs. Buddhist or working your body inward or outward. However, Wang did not spell out the term "IMA" - I believe it was Gan who first used the term IMA(?)
justincasea

Postby justincasea on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:23 pm

klonk wrote:I like something C.J. Wang said on another thread. Where you see rooting, neutralizing and short power all in use together, you're looking at IMA. What's neat about this definition is it looks at the what not the how. Discussions of how, of course, become scrambled up in confusion pretty quickly. We see that often enough.

Thank you, Klonk. I am new to this forum ( and soon getting very old :)), I am also not familiar with martial terms in English. Can you tell me what "short power" is?
justincasea

Next

Return to Been There Done That