BTDT (1): What is IMA?

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: BTDT (1): What is IMA?

Postby bailewen on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:49 pm

观耄耋御众之形,快何能为? josh's tranlation is good, so it your wife's.

My wife didn't translate it, asshole.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby justincasea on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:
观耄耋御众之形,快何能为? josh's tranlation is good, so is your wife's.

My wife didn't translate it, asshole.

//
justincasea on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:
Sorry Justincasea, no language teacher to check with. I'm just fine on my own.

Unless you actually have something specific you think I got wrong, then help yourself to a large cold glass of STFU.

This last post of yours is just an ad hominem with nothing specific. I will say though, even though you were unable to come up with anything yourself, I took another look at that last phrase, 观耄耋御众之形,快何能为。

When you originally said I got it wrong I was thinking that at the very least you did pick the one phrase in the translation that I wasn't 100% sure of but when you failed to suggest anything yourself I decided you were just being an ass. Nevertheless, being a stuffed shirt does not mean you are wrong and like I said, I already wasn't really that satisfied with that phrase. [u]Just talked it over with my wife[/u] who also couldn't tell what it meant at first (despite being Chinese herself) but after a little discussion she pointed out that it appeared to be a contrast with the previous phrase, 非关学力而有为也。察四两拨千斤之句,显非力胜. In that context, rather than "When you look at people as they age, they lose their speed" I would change it to "When you look at older martial artists, one's who have practiced for many decades, where do you see a reliance on speed?"

But you still an ass.
Last edited by justincasea on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justincasea

Postby bailewen on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Yes, that's right. I asked her opinion on MY translation.

I showed her the original text and asked here about that last line to which she responded, "我才看不懂。" I told her, "耄耋,我已经查过了,就是说。。。一个老头子,八十来岁的人吧".

I then explained the context of the article and she quickly read the bits leading up to the line in question and explained, "我觉得那一行应该跟前边那个对成的。前边都说明了太极的道理,他是说你怎么不用力,不用速度,等等。。。但是号可以战胜人,后边说的是那些老武术家,练了好多年。你看他们打都是慢腾腾的但是还能应付那些年轻家伙。他强调的是慢动作比快厉害。

I'm paraphrasing of course.

See "talked it over" and "had a little discussion" are not synonyms for "Translate". It just means that I had a chat with her about the deeper meaning of the text. We don't speak English in the home.

See we didn't discuss how to translate it. We discussed how to interpret the text.
Last edited by bailewen on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby justincasea on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Omar,

are you upset because I did not give the credit of translation to you? Explain to me your anger please.

Jusitncasea

Omar (bailewen) wrote:Yes, that's right. I asked her opinion on MY translation.

I showed her the original text and asked here about that last line to which she responded, "我才看不懂。" I told her, "耄耋,我已经查过了,就是说。。。一个老头子,八十来岁的人吧".

I then explained the context of the article and she quickly read the bits leading up to the line in question and explained, "我觉得那一行应该跟前边那个对成的。前边都说明了太极的道理,他是说你怎么不用力,不用速度,等等。。。但是号可以战胜人,后边说的是那些老武术家,练了好多年。你看他们打都是慢腾腾的但是还能应付那些年轻家伙。他强调的是慢动作比快厉害。

I'm paraphrasing of course.

See "talked it over" and "had a little discussion" are not synonyms for "Translate". It just means that I had a chat with her about the deeper meaning of the text. We don't speak English in the home.

See we didn't discuss how to translate it. We discussed how to interpret the text.
justincasea

Postby bailewen on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 pm

What happened to this:

If no one understanding my post, I must be out of my mind. With respect to all of you, including Chris, I pack and leave. Bye to you all. "Bao Hu gui shan" :)

Justincasea

Don't let the door kick you in the ass on the way out. ;)
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Some people just don´t get hints, even when they´ve ranged all the way from gentle to very, very loud.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby justincasea on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:32 pm

hahahhaha:) Thanks, Omar. Please do not pull me back. I just have to go. Hope you will miss me in the future. hahhahaha ;)
justincasea

Postby nianfong on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 pm

justincasea wrote: One has to understand taijiquan to certainl level to translate this, other wise , the whole sentence sounds like a crazy statement or joke. The real question is : Why is this piece considered to be the most important classics in IMA? WHy would generations of IMA masters take it so serious? I am sure you will find your answer in a few months. By the time comes, please do share with me your experience.

Justincasea

omar is pissed mainly because of these sentences of yours. he has a decent understanding of taiji, and you completely demean him, though none of us are "complete". If your words were directed at me, I would find that quite insulting too. You also write with a tone presuming superiority. who are you to teach him? he has not asked you to teach him anything. yet you ask him to share his answer with you, like a teacher would ask.

and then you assume that he does not understand chinese, as you assume that his wife translated for him. omar understands chinese better than most ABCs I know.

you presume too much, and are starting to tick me off too, as an admin. now take a humble pill, and chill out for a while. humility is one of the most important virtues of a daoist. I hope you come to learn it.

also, my name is NOT josh.

-Fong
Last edited by nianfong on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby bailewen on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Thanks.

[snip] . . . . .grumble. . . . .vent. . . .blah blah blah . .. [/snip]

edited for brevity
Last edited by bailewen on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Time for a short break from this thread.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 am

Is it just me, or does she look a little like Michael Jackson, in the face, from that angle? It's the nose. And other stuff, too. She really looks like MJ. Sorry, Ma'am, no offense intended. Thank goodness for pictures of pretty girls on the internet, but that pose is bringing out the MJ in you.
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 am

Michael wrote:And other stuff, too.

Whaaaaaah?!?!? :o :-/

Michael wrote:bringing out the MJ in you

Now you REALLY got me worried, Michael... :-X
Please, please go train some XY or SC.
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:37 am

Sorry, Dmitri, I'm taiji ghey all the way! Now where's my soy milk?
Michael

Postby Dmitri on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:12 am

Maybe putting these two side by side might help you out a little:

Image Image

Please tell me you see at least some difference.
(Hint -- MJ is on the right.)

You can do it man, I believe in you.
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:10 am

Oh, goodness, now you're going to make me go and look for friggin' MJ photos? Oh, I hate you, Dmitri. I hate you!! I will always hate you for making me do this. ;D

Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That