Who is the best non-living Internally External Master ??

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Who is the best non-living Internally External Master ??

Postby ShortFormMike on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Dmitri wrote:No such thing as "best" IMO, but Helio Gracie is way up there, in my book, at least as far as I understand the term "Martial Artist".

didn't mas kimura completely destroy this guy? this means there were probably at least 50 other guys who could've at least beaten him at the time.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby Fubo on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Kimura did very well against Helio, broke or dislocated Helio's arm (I don't completely remember, but I wouldn't say he completely destroyed Helio considering the length of the match. Kimura also had a lot of weight on Helio, and was also considered by many to be one of the best Judoka ever - so considering that, and the length of the match Helio did pretty good. Being able to survive a long time with Kimura is no easy feat, I can only imagine. Kimura does kick major ass.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby yusuf on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:39 am

did the Great Gama ever make it over to Brazil..?
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:51 am

ShortFormMike wrote:
Dmitri wrote:No such thing as "best" IMO, but Helio Gracie is way up there, in my book, at least as far as I understand the term "Martial Artist".

didn't mas kimura completely destroy this guy? this means there were probably at least 50 other guys who could've at least beaten him at the time.

Being a great martial artist doesn't mean being undefeatable IMO. Nobody ever is.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby ShortFormMike on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Fubo wrote:Kimura did very well against Helio, broke or dislocated Helio's arm (I don't completely remember, but I wouldn't say he completely destroyed Helio considering the length of the match.

i thought kimura was trying to make the match long. he did several throws on helio trying to knock him out with them. then on the ground he had him asphyxiated w/ his legs. then he released that and did a bunch of other shit. gracie didn't do shit to him in all that time.

i'm not saying gracie was not good. but i think robert smith's describing it as a match between a competent amateur and professional was accurate.

looking at how vibrant the gracie lineage is, i'd say he is the cheng man ch'ing of JJ.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby nianfong on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:18 pm

not completely correct. see this thread I posted a while ago:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=209&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gracie+kimura

gracie challenged kimura. kimura met him sized him up and laughed. told him he had to fight his student kato first, under gracie's ruleset--no ippon, only submission or KO.

Kato fought gracie. threw him around like a ragdoll. got tired from throwing him around so much. gracie choked him out--rear-naked choke.

Kimura said "it's on". and if gracie could last past 3 minutes, gracie could claim victory.

During the match, kimura threw gracie very strongly several times, and actually choked out gracie before 3 mins, but didn't realize it. he then changed holds, and the pain from the new hold woke up gracie. kimura put gracie in the classic kimura lock (named after him). gracie refused to submit. kimura broke his arm. then shifted his grip on the same arm, or went to the other arm (I can't remember which). Broke the bone again. gracie's brother threw in the towel. Kimura pwned him under any ruleset, and would have been able to claim victory if it weren't for his self-imposed handicap. gracie never stood a chance to take kimura down, or even try to submit him. all he could do was avoid being knocked out and refusing to submit. which is pretty impressive strength of will.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Dmitri on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:34 pm

Yeah, but, Fong, he lost... ;D

Thanks for a vivid reminder of that match; I always forget the details... 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 am

Micheal Jackson: He once knocked Chuck Norris out with his secret moonwalking technique.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:47 am

Odin.

Fear him you puny mortals!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Been There Done That