this is why i want Stephen Yan back

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

this is why i want Stephen Yan back

Postby ShortFormMike on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:55 pm

i think it was cd that asked me if i was on a question to get stephen yan back.

and while i was reading through the Wu Fast Form thread/novel i noticing stephen has so many great stories like this one:

in1991,master ma yueliang ,wu ying hua,shi mei lin and my self put ademonstration in PATRICK KELLY'S school,patrick was one of three top student of huang xing xian , huang was cheng manqin's no.1student, patrick did several other martial arts and is big strong man in his 40's,he calls his school as "fighting taiji", after our demo(lots of people watching),patrick thought ma's PH was not real ,request to have a go with ma whom was 90 years old by then,i said to patrick ma is already 90 , let me ph with P,BY THEN , i had not emphasis on practising taiji yet , but other kung fu,we kind of equal in that couple of minutes ,ma let me stop, and ask patrick to PH with him,P just couldn't maintaining his balance and was throwed around. afterwards , i asked ma why not deliever hard or throw P on the floor? ma said:we were in his school ,no need to be too unpolite to make him lose face.
4 years later in 1995, i was working as a general manager in wuxi a pharmaceutical co.where only 1.5 hour away from shanghai,somehow P phoned me from PARIS,and saying that he moved to Sydney several years ago,and once PH with chen xiaowang,nothing like ma,and they both equal ,stucked .and he had been giving workshops around europe,so far by then found nobody could match him. but one thing he still couldn't figur out was that how he was throwed around by ma effortlessly, and thought that he might not tried hard enough at that time, he ask if he can try again after several years hard training? i said to him that ma was 95 years old (by then), i need to ask if he wants to take the challenge. when i talked to ma , ma said: P wants to come all the way from Paris to Shanghai , indicates his sincerity of wanting to know the art ,ma asked me to tell P that he is welcome! soon P ARRIVED ,i picked him up in the airport,next day i took him to ma's house(where wu jian quan used to live), i said to P "THESE several years you improved and i feel also improved , why don't we PH fisrt", we did , that time , i was little better( i found my PH only improved big way by these couple of years). then ma push with P, THAT time P WAS sit his bottom on floor several times, finally ,after tried several times , P got up and bowed with huge respect. if competing force ,95 years old ma AND p were not in the same scale,ma said :yes, P had lots of power ,but his power eighter got killed when it just starting grow ,or got neutralised and throw himself out, so ma stressed again that "qing ling" lightness,sensetiveness is the spirit of taiji ,just like old taiji sutra 's saying.
when P WAS in shanghai, he had some private lessons from ma's student chen zaomao. i also took him to shanghai wu shu institute he had push hand with two famose taiji instructors there , one was fong rulong whom was fu zhongwen of yang taiji student, other name was chen of chen zaokui's student, INTERESTINGLY, P WAS BETTER than both of them, FONG was not happy with the result and tried to swing or fliping his palm to P's groin. another chen taiji guy GU lost to P , AND requested P TO PH with QIAN zaohong who does xylhq and chen taiji ,QIAN is a carpenter with years mannul carpenting ,he got huge arms, but they equal,stucked there,no one could throw each other out, QIAN FELT LOSING FACE, he suddenly grab P'S small finger tried to break it ,P JUST GOT out of qian's grab,and angry , blaming qian 's dirty move ,i also said to qian that his move was no "wu de"at all.
---------------

i mean the guy's traveled all around the world checking out other styles. like him or not, that effort should be appreciated shouldn't it?

i like reading how MYL put down adepts like patrick kelly or how mario napoli was bulldoggin' the chen village players. i read that stuff and then i get all fired up to practice.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Re: this is why i want Stephen Yan back

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:08 pm

I think they should bring back Sheriff Lobo.

Chris Fleming

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 pm

STEPHEN YAN STEPH

ENYAN

YAN
Ian

Postby bigphatwong on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:27 pm

I'd rather have Mike Strong back than Stephen Yan. His tales of hookers using feminine hygiene products in back alleys are far more captivating to me.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Mike Strong stories are lots of fun.
Michael

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Ma Yueliang was definitely awesome, in any case - noone disputes this in the wushu circles...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:15 am

Can't you see the sole purpose of all of these stories/tales? It is so twisted. I especially like how Ma Yueliang is supposed to have told Yan to learn the 24 forms of Neigong from Cheng Tinhung, because he and his wife forgot about them LOL. Or where he had his baishi in complete secrecy, against Chinese martial custom ::) ;D

Yan doesn't fit into this community. He has nothing to contribute except stories that are supposed to boast his teachers and make himself look authoritative on various topics. I'm glad he posted his tuishou videos, because it makes all doubts disappear that some people might have had, because he's been connected to Ma in some ambiguous way.

cd
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:47 am

ShortFormMike wrote:i mean the guy's traveled all around the world checking out other styles. like him or not, that effort should be appreciated shouldn't it?

i like reading how MYL put down adepts like patrick kelly or how mario napoli was bulldoggin' the chen village players. i read that stuff and then i get all fired up to practice.

The thing is- I read stories that continually put others down (low level) and big-up the author (who, of course, is high level) and just think... what a complete cock. But hey, that's just me. If that fires you up then burn, baby, burn.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:22 am

ShortFormMike wrote:
i mean the guy's traveled all around the world checking out other styles. like him or not, that effort should be appreciated shouldn't it?

of course it should.. my teacher, many people teachers have. They all relay stories about the masters, Stephen Yan always talks about how he was given a secret handshake and a full transmission up the ass
Last edited by yusuf on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:43 am

What the last three guys said. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Dr.Rob on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:53 am

Screw Dr Yan, I want Jesus! he rides dinasours and kills Nazi's!
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:28 am

Dr.Rob wrote:Screw Dr Yan, I want Jesus! he rides dinasours and kills Nazi's!

and he organizes viking forklift safaris!!!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 am

My take. My teacher was one of Mah's early disciples. Mah wrote her and told her about Shi Mei lin. Never said anything about Stephen Yan. End of story.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:02 am

what does he hold a phd in anyway?
just curious as i've encountered people in martial arts who call themselves "doctor" or "professor" but don't actually have any accreditation at all and aren't actually and truly entitled to those titles.

I am wondering if this guy is yet another of "those" lol.
you know, seeing as there is a lot of vitriol towards the guy.

I personally don't see much value in what he presents on youtube.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby lazyboxer on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:02 am

He's Back - and BADDER than evah!

:P
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Next

Return to Been There Done That