Dr. Stephen Yan Wu Tai Chi PHS vs wrestling and joints locki

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Dr. Stephen Yan Wu Tai Chi PHS vs wrestling and joints locki

Postby cloudz on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:46 am

yea, i liked the push hands in that clip, nice stuff. looked better than the last clip, more refined & variation. Maybe due to the familiarity. watched about 5-6 minutes, not sure why they're so long. The title is a bit unecessary and disengenious though. And come on guys.. We all have our erm... imperfections..

:D
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:59 am

Message to the Stephen Yan Zombie Horde: there are other forums to spam, you know. I think there's one place in particular that would LOVE to have each and every single one of your clips.
Chris Fleming

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:06 am

I don't object to Dr. Yan's video clips, per se, but rather to the cult-like manner in which so many of his followers saturate the forum with multiple threads concurrently. It always feels just a bit overbearing to me, regardless of the skills he presents. ::)

And while I admire his confidence in putting himself out there publicly, I think his opinions and his skills would generally be better received if they were presented more modestly in one thread from time to time, rather than through multiple threads all at the same time! :-\

Doc -oldman-
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 am

Doc Stier wrote:I don't object to Dr. Yan's video clips, per se, but rather to the cult-like manner in which so many of his followers saturate the forum with multiple threads concurrently. It always feels just a bit overbearing to me, regardless of the skills he presents. ::)

And while I admire his confidence in putting himself out there publicly, I think his opinions and his skills would generally be better received if they were presented more modestly in one thread from time to time, rather than through multiple threads all at the same time! :-\

Doc -oldman-

oh lord .. someone send the anti-brainwashing squad round to Docs.. hes been watching Yantube.com for too long... :)
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:42 am

Re-posted because it's awesome as fuck!
Chris Fleming

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:48 am

yusuf wrote:oh lord .. someone send the anti-brainwashing squad round to Docs.. hes been watching Yantube.com for too long... :)

Aw, c'mon, Yusuf. Yan's stuff is oftentimes obnoxiously egoistic and overbearing in presentation, but nonetheless, it ain't all bad! -shrug-
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:31 am

it's better than any of the stupid puppet dancing taichi demos out there by far. but the uke is doing some really dumb stuff like shaving the front leg without committing, and a diagonal pullling throw without position or moving yan's weight.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby yusuf on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:26 am

Chris Fleming wrote:Image

Re-posted because it's awesome as fuck!

i thank you... dicking around on teh internet is what happens when you are supposed to be workign from home :)
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 am

Tom wrote:
The good doctor may find himself confronted with an eyewitness narrative and film of how he got manhandled by the Chen boys at a push-hands tournament awhile ago. No amount of video clips of Yan dominating his students would answer that.

Better than that, there may be a video released of him getting chucked on his ass by an MMA guy who he subsequently slagged off...

And Doc, I agree it's not complete shite but it descends to that level when accompanied by all the twaddle and nonsense...
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm sure no one can disagree that that's a good looks tux at the beginning.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:33 pm

FYI, it looks like the guy getting pushed around by yan was not aware this video would be posted, and really did not learn much shuai-chiao, judo, or other grappling. He may be joining the forum to post something soon.

I can tell by how he moves and what throws he tries that he's not well trained in a throwing art.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Nick C on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:21 pm

So after asking myself if I should post on this thread or not... as I would hate to seem like a cult like follower Doc :) I would just say the following:

I think if you look at the vids for what they are (and not your personal opinion of Dr Yan's blogging or posting, as hard as that may be for whatever reason / however justifyable) they are not bad vids. This latest one does also have some commentary as well.

Tom - I agree with the teaching vid style may be easier to digest. I have passed this on :) I assume the vid of the Chen competition is the one around 2000 in China where Dr Yan placed 7th? I wouldnt mind seeing that one if it does get posted, although this I think was the first 'competition rules' push hands Dr Yan entered, and struggled with the rules about nothing above the chest area. We actually did some training specifically around this once he returned from that trip because it changes the approach somewhat, and you do struggle until you adapt to it (controlling the head is normally a good defence).

yusuf - Not sure of what MMA guy Dr Yan ever did anything with? So again, would love to see it. Do you have the guys name?

The only other thing I would say about this is that when students are doing this sort of PH with Dr Yan, it is in a fun, enjoyable environment, where we are encouraged to try things and work hard. In this way both the student and the teacher learns (with the subsequent examination of what went right and what went wrong).
Nick C
Anjing

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:16 pm

Nick C wrote:So after asking myself if I should post on this thread or not... as I would hate to seem like a cult like follower, Doc :) I would just say the following:

I think if you look at the vids for what they are (and not your personal opinion of Dr Yan's blogging or posting, as hard as that may be for whatever reason / however justifyable) they are not bad vids. This latest one does also have some commentary as well.

Agreed. Thanks for posting. :)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 pm

nianfong wrote:
I can tell by how he moves and what throws he tries that he's not well trained in a throwing art.

+1
Fubo
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:11 am

mrtoes wrote:AGAIN!?! How many remote controlled mini-Yans are there? ???

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That