Dr. Stephen Yan Wu Tai Chi PHS vs wrestling and joints locki

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Dr. Stephen Yan Wu Tai Chi PHS vs wrestling and joints locki

Postby mrtoes on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:00 am

Bwahahahahaha!!! Word to your pic-fu Graham-san, Doc has taught you well -bow-
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:01 am

mrtoes wrote:Bwahahahahaha!!! Word to your pic-fu Graham-san, Doc has taught you well -bow-

Soon we will be ready to reveal ourselves to the Jedi... but not yet...... there is much work to be done first.... bwwwwaaaa ahaaaaha hahahah ahaaa
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:53 am

GrahamB wrote:Soon we will be ready to reveal ourselves to the Jedi... but not yet...... there is much work to be done first.... bwwwwaaaa ahaaaaha hahahah ahaaa

That's funny! ;D

Nice work, Graham. 8-)

"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby ShortFormMike on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:50 pm

why wasn't this posted in the video section. stephen yan is a legit wu practitioner and this is a new video clip. it's almost an insult if you ask me. there is a cliquish energy from the anti-yan camp calling people clones and shit. i've never even met the guy and i don't do anything but cheng man ching style. so forgive me for thinking the man is interesting.

just pretty judgemental if you ask me. i don't see anyone being called a sam chin clone and he's represented here to a FAR greater extent. (am i'm a big admirer of that guy too so don't go there.)
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Because no one on here is ridiculously spamming Sam Chin clips every 5 seconds.

Like it's been said before, doing a blitz of Yan clips and topics in every forum is too much. If you guys would have acted normal from the outset rather than trying to use the forum to spam him and his methods/books/et all then more clips at a normal level would have been welcome.
Chris Fleming

Postby Fubo on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:34 pm

So, just because more than a few people find different issues surrounding Yan's multiple clips disagreeable, it's now considered "cliquish"?
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:19 am

Shortformmike's already said a couple of times he's got a bug up his ass about this forum, this is just his latest criticism. I think it's completely misplaced.
Michael

Postby ShortFormMike on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:19 am

Michael wrote:Shortformmike's already said a couple of times he's got a bug up his ass about this forum, this is just his latest criticism. I think it's completely misplaced.

is it ok to really like something a lot and dislike something about it too?
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:34 am

ShortFormMike wrote:is it ok to really like something a lot and dislike something about it too?

Of course it is. Don't let them bad boys pick on ya, Bubba. They're just jealous cuz you're able to see something in Yan's clips that they can't. ;)
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:31 am

There seems to be a pattern of people new to the forum as posters that make criticisms. I did it. It doesn't seem to have any effect to criticize the forum, but making good posts about specific topics does have an effect, IMO.
Michael

Postby Nick C on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:Because no one on here is ridiculously spamming Sam Chin clips every 5 seconds.

Like it's been said before, doing a blitz of Yan clips and topics in every forum is too much. If you guys would have acted normal from the outset rather than trying to use the forum to spam him and his methods/books/et all then more clips at a normal level would have been welcome.

Perhaps if people would actually discuss the contents of the vids, rather than spamming each thread with personal attacks on Dr Yan, the thread would remain in the video section. Then people could post additional videos in the same thread rather than new threads (spamming problem sloved!). Many people dont bother with BTDT, and there are no Dr Yan vids on the Video section. So people post new vids as new threads.

Along those lines, it is important to remember that two of the three vids that have been posted, were originally posted by people who have no association with Dr Yan - yet everyone here accuses them of being Yan clones. It seems to me that those that posted in the first page of this thread are just Dr Yan hater clones. I would be surprised if any of them even watched the vid before posting!

But whatever. The videos are there - the second one has some instructional discussion in it as well. I would encourage people to watch them. I know I watch as many videos as I can, as you never know what you may pick up. All videos have an element of 'self promotion' - simply by being posted on youtube. I dont see how these are any better or worse in that area than 90%+ of the videos on this forum. Dr Yan doesnt do seminars around the world, or tours, has no current book out to promote etc etc... But c'est la vie
Nick C
Anjing

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:01 pm

I think you had your chance at normal discussion. What you and others are doing amounts to SPAM. But hey, claiming that we are spamming your spam threads is a funny response.
Chris Fleming

Postby Nick C on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:I think you had your chance at normal discussion. What you and others are doing amounts to SPAM. But hey, claiming that we are spamming your spam threads is a funny response.

Have I ever spammed threads? I have contributed to existing ones - but did I start any of these? In fact I didnt respond to any until these was a discussion on which to have a response.

But I guess its easier to just throw everyone into the same box.. Did you even watch the vids? Was there nothing in there of value?
Nick C
Anjing

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Hey, Nick:

You offer some good points. As I stated earlier, I have no objection to the content of Dr. Yan's video clip at the beginning of this thread, and I understand a professional teacher's need to promote himself as an instructor, but I find the over-saturation of threads bearing his name quite annoying.

Nonetheless, Dr. Yan does demonstrate a number of credible neutralizing and following techniques ending in believable countermeasures. If anything, he would look more skilled if he demonstrated on a partner who was closer to his own skill level, a partner who also attempted to neutralize and follow in response to Yan's movement, evasively rotating from side to side and rolling around things to deny a straight entry to his center line, rather than always offering an unyielding, squared off upper body that is easy to push and pull at will.

If the demo partner showed better Tai-Chi Chuan skills, Dr. Yan would have an opportunity to demonstrate the ability to stick with his partner's movements and follow his defensive changes, but still eventually unbalance or uproot him. This requires sensitivity and timing which aren't necessary when pushing an overly compliant and unyielding partner, and also represents skill that not everyone has.

Lastly, the humor and criticism that I have presented on this and other threads bearing his name is primarily meant to be a commentary on the absurd number of Stephen Yan threads appearing here, rather than as a blanket criticism or condemnation of Dr. Yan himself.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Nick C on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi Doc,

No worries about the humour. When it is tempered by the fact that you actually did watch the vids :)

and I totally agree that personally, I would have preferred one thread - in the video section, where these vids were posted, and discussions on the actual vids contained within that. A whole page of abuse however and then the (in that sense) appropriate BTDT death prevents that from happening of course.

As for videos with higher level people - heh - I am sure there will be.... eventually. These are the first vids he has ever posted to youtube, so I thank you for watching them and apprecaite your comments and feedback.

Cheers
Nick
Nick C
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That