Strong Legs

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Strong Legs

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Scott P. Phillips wrote: (If you are a bit of a sadist and want to watch some people squirm, I’m about to post this at the unhinged Internet forum Rum Soaked Fist! check it out.)

I actually had to double-check that you really wrote this. Why would you phrase yourself like this?

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Scott P. Phillips on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Void, those are great quotes! No doubt people train hard. I'm looking back in time and saying--was it necessary for me to train that hard? Or was it just the result of my own aggressive view of what was necessary?
You've reminded me of common theme in Daoist literature called "The Dao of the left, and the Dao of the right." Scholars sometimes style this an anti-Buddhist doctrine because it goes: The Dao of the left is short, and the effects are immediate. The Dao of the right is the long road of suffering --sometimes requiring multiple lives. But both the Dao of the Right and the Dao of the Left lead to the same place eventually. I guess Cheng Man Ching was an advocate of suffering, the dao of the right. I'm not. But I'm not judging it either, that one way to go.
"The dao of the left is the dao of wuwei" Santian nei jia jing

Chi Belly:
Thanks for the great arguments. My expert (he runs a lab) on muscle chemistry tells me we are really at the beginning of understanding muscles, not at the end. Just an aside: I was short on money in my early 20's and I answered a call for medical experiments at the San Francisco VA, $60 for an hour. They were testing just what you described. They put me in an MRI device with a weighted pedal for me to push on with my leg. Then they charted the chemistry of maximum effort, peak performance and fatigue and then recovery after fatigue. They loved me as a test subject and invited me back for a second round because none of their other test subjects were willing to push their muscles as hard as I was. I was crazy.

I like the idea that perhaps the difference between internally trained muscles and externally trained muscles is that the internally trained ones have better access to oxygen. Internally trained muscles have more qi, perhaps we should just call qi: oxygen? Time for some more tests!

So OK, lets say that there are two types of muscle quality...strength and endurance (I think there are more actually). Why would internal martial artists prefer (assuming they do) endurance types of muscle?
You're probably right about the skinny guys carrying people up the mountain, It's like backpacking for 2 weeks.

I'm only asking the kids to demonstrate upward force against 150lbs for about 5 inches in a short burst. And that is enough for fighting purposes--throws and punches rarely need more than 5 inches of upward force from the moment of contact. Kids can do that and so can most adults without any training.
There is a heck of a lot more to training than what we are talking about here, and your argument about endurance is worth pondering. The idea I'm challenging is that we need MORE strength than what we already have naturally.

I don't think the video of Wu Qiuting I linked too shows a guy with big muscles...But If you think he does have big muscles I'm worried that others on this forum will look at my quads and think they are strong too. But I assure you I wear two pairs of long underwear, I don't think most people seeing my legs would think they look muscular by American standards, but perhaps martial artists would see some development. None of that negates the fact that I try not to let my muscle get bigger.
Scott P. Phillips

Postby Daniel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:42 pm

Daniel wrote:
Scott P. Phillips wrote: (If you are a bit of a sadist and want to watch some people squirm, I’m about to post this at the unhinged Internet forum Rum Soaked Fist! check it out.)

Why did you phrase yourself like this?

D.

Daniel
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Scott, I look forward to your video of Ji Bu.

Pain and fatigue are in the beginning until the legs get "strong" enough to support the pelvis and upper body in a relaxed and aligned way.

thanks for the tips.....widening the base would violate all the precepts of binding the crotch and walking upon a single line.....again, not sure what you know about xylhq, but seems to me you missed the foundation. There is no way around stepping low and long to develop this gong fu, the power is in the legs, without "strong" legs you have nothing. Strong does not mean body builer meat, it means nimble, powerful, agile and balanced, which is what comes from eating the bitter that is ji bu.
Last edited by somatai on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somatai

Postby blindsage on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Daniel wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Why did you phrase yourself like this?

D.

Because Scott is condescending, confused, and a bit of an ass. Not necessarily in that order.

The only thing I wonder is why he bothers, since we're all obviously lesser intellects than he is.
blindsage
Anjing

Postby Void on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Daniel wrote:

I actually had to double-check that you really wrote this. Why would you phrase yourself like this?

D.

Squirm: To feel or exhibit signs of humiliation or embarrassment.

Presumably Scott feels his point of view differs from the unhinged folk of RSF and that he will prove his view leading to said folk being humiliated and embarrassed ?

Personally I think there is some truth in what he said. The legs get tired as long as you continue to stand on them, once they become transparent to your weight and any externally applied they cease to become tired. However I developed quite strong legs finding that level of release.

What strikes me as most salient in this discussion though is that Scott seems to be come across has having a dose of hubris?
Void
Huajing

Postby somatai on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:13 pm

"However I developed quite strong legs finding that level of release."

this is the key, the ability to relax and release is part and parcel with the strength and power......in order to really "Kai" you must be able to really "He"

you cannot just find a one sided coin
somatai

Postby johnwang on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Scott P. Phillips wrote:If a kid that small is strong enough to lift a 160lb man,

If you weight 160 lbs, when you put leg on someone's shoulder, you are not putting 160 lbs on his shoulder. If you sit on his shoulder then that will be true 160 lbs weight. Can that kid bench press or lift 160 free weight over his shoulder?
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Also, those mountain dudes legs are huge.

The people are skinny as fuck alright...except for their massively disproportionate calves.

The guys I saw on Huashan would have put this pedicab driver to shame:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/__HKVaUYUxJg/Svqof ... 0_0795.JPG

Just sayin'
Last edited by bailewen on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:00 pm

If you think so little of this place, why don't you just go back to the KFM forum.
chud
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:30 pm

bailewen wrote:Also, those mountain dudes legs are huge.

Huge leg is not strong leg. A strong leg a leg that has nice shape, slim but not bulky.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm

johnwang wrote:
Scott P. Phillips wrote:If a kid that small is strong enough to lift a 160lb man,

If you weight 160 lbs, when you put leg on someone's shoulder, you are not putting 160 lbs on his shoulder. If you sit on his shoulder then that will be true 160 lbs weight. Can that kid bench press or lift 160 free weight over his shoulder?

well said uncle John. Like to see the kid squatt with 160lbs on him.
Areios
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Areios wrote:
johnwang wrote:

well said uncle John. Like to see the kid squatt with 160lbs on him.

lol
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby ChiBelly on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:32 pm

-
Last edited by ChiBelly on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
ChiBelly
Grandmaster of Mouth Gongfu
https://www.facebook.com/molingtaiji
ChiBelly
Huajing

Postby ChiBelly on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 pm

johnwang wrote:Huge leg is not strong leg. A strong leg a leg that has nice shape, slim but not bulky.

In my opinion, her legs must be very strong.
-
ChiBelly
Grandmaster of Mouth Gongfu
https://www.facebook.com/molingtaiji
ChiBelly
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That