Bad Taijiquan

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Bad Taijiquan

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:34 am

Doc, you really ought to stop trying to play chess with the tiddly winks crowd.
Michael

Postby fuga on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Michael, you are doing exactly what I have a problem with: not being polite to strangers just because you can hide behind a keyboard and do not have to face any repercussions.

Would you really say something like that to my face?

If you wouldn't, then don't say it online.

If you would, next time you come stateside, book your tickets so you stopover in San Francisco and you can insult me in person.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Bär
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 pm

QuaiJohnCain wrote:Who watches "American Idol"?

Not everyone likes Simon, but you can't deny the value of his style... That's all that's going on here...

Seriously? You're saying it's ok because Simon Cowell does it?

The fuck?

Oh please somebody just shoot me now. Is this what it's come to?
-whiteflag-

Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Michael wrote:Doc, you really ought to stop trying to play chess with the tiddly winks crowd.

Careful when you pick those pubic hair out of your teeth you might get one lodged in your throat....
;D

ps. honest to god I just saw an opportunity and went with it. That post was just a joke ok? You may now feel free to make fun of my manhood and any specific failing of mine you want :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Guess tai chi really does make you ghey. LOL. Never seen such over sensitive overreactions.
Chris Fleming

Postby QuaiJohnCain on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 pm

Got news for ya Graham, the world has always been like that. Actually, much worse until recent times...

Life is a whoopee cushion, man. You can always laugh it off. But it's the sour grapes that truly earn the Bronx cheer!
QuaiJohnCain

Postby Michael on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 pm

fuga wrote:Michael, you are doing exactly what I have a problem with: not being polite to strangers just because you can hide behind a keyboard and do not have to face any repercussions.

Would you really say something like that to my face?

If you wouldn't, then don't say it online.

If you would, next time you come stateside, book your tickets so you stopover in San Francisco and you can insult me in person.

-pete

Pete, let's both take a chill pill before this gets any sillier. My apologies to you and Doc for sticking my nose in. I'll pass on the pistols at dawn and say that neither of us can make others conform to our own standards of polite behavior. I hope if I ever do stop into SFO again, there wouldn't be any hard feelings if we were to meet face-to-face. -toast-
Michael

Postby fuga on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Apology accepted. No hard feelings if we ever meet. This thread just bothered me more than some of the other threads for some reason. I'll just let folks have their fun now that I have said what I wanted to say.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:17 pm

jeez.

okay, okay--i love to see people presenting taiji that's worse than mine. i am also profoundly pissed off when i see dumb people telling other people that 'this is taiji, so give me money!'. or whatever. i also find really bad taiji clips that people have chosen to post online, of their own free will, funny.

but there is such a thing as a spirit of positivity, and a spirit of negativity. and this is a place. and there is, if you ask me, no such thing as a youtube clip of someone doing bad taiji that's so valuable that it deserves to start fights here. in this place.

maybe someone didn't mean to piss anybody off. maybe somebody wouldn't have gotten pissed off, if they had better tao. who cares?

the shen of this thread was not entirely good to start with. kind of fun. but give me a fucking break. who really thinks there's anything here worth fighting over?

*challenges*? over this? good lord.

mend fences. go listen to the jam's 'that's entertainment,' and move on.

jeez.
johnrieber

Postby Dmitri on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:08 am

^^ well said; +1
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:41 am

Bär
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:41 am

Doc Stier wrote:OK, ask and you shall receive. Here's a few random 'Yang Style' TCC videos of varying quality for your consideration. Do you judge these as 'good' or 'bad' examples of tai-chi chuan, and why?

First one keeps getting errors.
Second one I would call bad. It doesn't seem martially oriented. If I had to guess I would say the practitioners are beginners or intermediate although they show surprising mobility. It seems to be missing what I consider important elements of taiji.
Third one is better, I am not familiar with that form but he seems somewhat stiff and mechanical.
Fourth one is kind of the opposite of the above where it is too relaxed, kinda limp noodle, but has some good things in it.
Last one I am not familiar with the move he is doing but he is demoing the move for teaching purposes so the obvious breaks are probably intentional but the posture seems stiff and his shen fa seems hard style kung fu just doing a taiji movement.

Or was I not supposed to actually remark on the videos?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:41 am

Simply couldn't resist posting this YouTube masterpiece. Do we have, here, the most self-righteous man in martial arts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YKz_APYYo0

A cookie from me for any clever chap who can find footage of the guy actually doing Taiji rather than talking about its (apparently) myriad secrets in his so-irritating-its-amusing manner.

And a million dollars for any man, woman or child who will publicly 'fess up to paying for his web lessons.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:36 am

ROFL laughing absolute classic Andy :) :) :)
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That