Sun Baguazhang

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Sun Baguazhang

Postby Abi Moriya on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:06 am

Hi All
Regarding Mike Gillespie: I am writing some memories from my studies in Taiwan during the 80's, including my training with Hong Yixiang, and so looked for Mike at the net. A short while after I started training with teacher Hong Yixiang at the Tang Shou Dao school, begining of 1987, I met Mike Gillespie at the Taipei hostel. To my suprise he told me he was searching for Hong Yixiang for months, but could not locate him, and that he holds a reccomadation letter to teacher Hong. To make a long story short - He joined the class, but after about 2-3 month, an argument broke out between Mike and the Hong family, and he was asked not to show up any more.
since the number of foriegners in Taipei was not that high at the time, I kept seeing him from time to time. He told me with great exitement he was learning Bagua Zhang with He Shunding at the Cultural University. I have no idea for how long he learned there. He was showing me some of the things he learned, but otherwhile it was very difficult to tell what was true or was made up. I remember at some stage he married a Taiwanese girl, and eventually (I am almost sure, but around the begining of the 90's) went back to England with her. My friend and fellow martial artist Ben Hazan met him twice in England, and was rather impressed with his skill. He was the one who told me about Mike's dissaperance. I also heard he preformed once in a martial arts event in London. Regarding the stories about him acting as a "special agent" or any other title, I do not really know, but at best it sounds very odd, though fits nicely to his colourful stories.
If he is indeed dead - may he rest in peace.
Last edited by Abi Moriya on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Abi Moriya
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That