Sun Baguazhang

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Sun Baguazhang

Postby Tom on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Abi, thanks for your reminiscences on this long-ago thread.

I remembered the name Mike Gillespie from my various wanderings through IMA literature. On checking, it seems that our own Alex Kozma (retreats108) spent five years training with Mr. Gillespie, as he recounts in Warrior Guards the Mountain, his 2013 book (which may be why his account did not come up in this 2008 thread). Alex's account can be found in a footnote at the end of the chapter on xingyiquan, preceded a little ways up by a photo of Mike Gillespie "swooping down" in the baguazhang form.

https://books.google.com/books?id=mC8TEqNUn5YC&pg=PT27&lpg=PT27&dq=He+Shen+Ting+baguazhang&source=bl&ots=RUnAuxzL9W&sig=aZjs7BhDESa4166TnIOwRPSGDVU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwimiv_X44HeAhVfJTQIHW01DQgQ6AEwA3oECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=He%20Shen%20Ting%20baguazhang&f=false
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

---Vernon Law
Tom
Administrator

Previous

Return to Been There Done That