Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby AllanF on Thu May 15, 2008 7:08 am

Greetings all, missed this thread in all the excitment.

Started out in Wu taiji of the Practical/Wudang variety before moving to China.
I am living in shenyang and studying yang taijiquan and wu xing tongbeiquan with Zhao Zhongchen for 3 years now.
AllanF

Postby Harvey on Thu May 15, 2008 7:46 am

Hi I'm Harold and I have an IMAddiciotn problem

Yang style small circle and Xingyi for 10 years everything prior to that was just pisch, had the misfortune of inviting Andrea Flak over for a seminar a few years back and now have the Magui bug
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby eddie mush on Thu May 15, 2008 8:00 am

I'm Martin from Denmark. I live in Hangzhou where I do a masters degree in acupuncture & tui na. I have done a lot of western boxing with a few fights in welter weight (10, 8 wins with 5 k.o's, 2 losses) I practice Ba gua Zhang and xing yi quan.
I post as eddie mush.
Martin Lund Rasmussen

In case you are unfamiliar with Eddie Mush, he was the character in the movie "A Bronx Tale" who was a total jinx. He had a perfect track record of losing every bet he ever placed as well as jinxing everyone around him.
eddie mush
Anjing

Postby JoseFreitas on Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 am

Hi everyone. Glad to be back here. I've been a member of the old EF since, I guess, 2005.

I'm from Portugal. Started MAs in 1983 with Shotokai Karate. Practiced without interruption from 83 to 92, and again since late 2005, with a few in-between moments. Started in the CMAs in 1993 with my current teacher, Sifu Wu Xuan. Study Yang Taiji, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang and some northern style sets and methods, as well as what I call Combined Xuan Wu Taiji (ie. the forms my teacher created, which integrate the various martial arts he learned). His lineage is from a man called Zhang Wenjun who was Jing Wu, I believe. His main styles in addition to the internals are Eagle Claw and northern Mantis. Zhang studied with Sun Lutang, Yang Chenfu and Jiang Rongqiao as well as others.

I am also a sometime student of Sifu James McNeil (when I can get to the US, which has been rare these last few years). I stayed with him for almost six months in 99 and went back a bunch of times. Studied the Chen style form, as well as Xingyi and some Splashing Hands and Neigong.

I used to be Mr. SeminarMan, since my job included traveling a lot and some free time. I did almost 100 seminars between 1996 and 2006 with the likes of Dr. Yang, Erle Montaigue, John Stevens, Liang Shou You, Hirokazu Kanazawa, Wong Kiew Kit, Soke Hatsumi, Li Qiao Ling, Dan Inosanto and many more I cannot remember right now.

Currently I am unemployed in a good way. I just sold my stake in a publishing company and I'm taking a couple of years away from the rat race, finishing my acupuncture certification. I have just started my supervised practice period and should be on my own next year. In the meantime I am setting up a chinese medicine clinic in Lisbon with some of my colleagues. Hobbies include comics, surfing (not much, unfortunately), reading all sorts of stuff and visiting the EF. I have a 4 year son, a wife and four cats and live in the fourth floor of a rambling old 1920 building in downtown Lisbon.
JoseFreitas
Anjing

Postby lide on Thu May 15, 2008 10:08 am

I'm Herb, pleezed to meetcha. Howyadoin?
Started MA in '73 with Kenpo, got BB in 77, did some work in Uechi and Meibukan Goju. Switched to CMA, and studied some Ng kuen, and eagle claw, but mostly Long fist, Yang TJQ, Bagua (Liu yun Qiao line)
Xingyi, and some mantis in the Lo Man Bui school. Discovered Chen TJQ in 80, played Hu Lei Jia for a while, then Beijing Xin Jia in the Kan Gui Xiang line. Started Chenjiagou line Chenshi in 1990, and have been doing that exclusively since.
lide
Santi

Postby jkuo on Fri May 16, 2008 9:02 am

I'm Johnny. Went by Qiang in the other forum(s). I'm usually a lurker, but do occasionally post.

As a kid, I did a couple of year of Yoseikan Karate. Went through a long dry spell of no martial arts after that.
Studied Chen Style Taijiquan (Zhu Tiancai line) for 6ish years while in grad school.
I then Met Sifu Sam F.S. Chin in 2005 and started training I-Liq Chuan. In that time, I found that ILC was working better for my personal training, so I switched to training ILC as my primary art.
jkuo
Mingjing

Postby superhypersam on Fri May 16, 2008 11:40 am

Hello all

names Sam Khorshid, im a Brit, but livin in LA for 17 yrs now
dont post much, but bin lurkin since 2005.

I have gone threw good periods of dedicated training, and piss poor periods.
after a year or so of the latter, have managed a year of the former, heh. -nunchaku- -break- -rock- -woot-

2-3 yrs karate. (as a kid)
4 yrs nother/southern Shaolin.
2 yrs bagua. Wei Zhong Tang (1 yrs)
2 yrs Tai chi.
1.5 year judo. Honjio G K
1 year MMA. (boxing, Thai Boxing, BJJ, and wrestling) ian Harris fight science at PKG gym
lots of dabbling in other arts.

currently trying to test myself in new arena's, with varying success.
hope to fight in a full contact MMA event by end of year.

cheers
Last edited by superhypersam on Fri May 16, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
superhypersam
Santi

Postby SquattingMonkey on Sun May 18, 2008 12:32 am

Hi all I'm Billy and I'm excited to be here!
My martial arts experance is as follows:

Shotokan and Shorin-ryu karate as a kid
Aikido as a teenager for a year
Wah Lum Praying Mantis in Orlando Fla. (Chan Pui) 1 year 1985-1986
Hung Gar (Tong Fong lineage) (Rik Kellerman) 4 years 1987-1991
Hung Gar (Tong Fong lineage) (MIke Manganella) 1 year 1991
Choy Li Fut (Chan Tai San) 1 year 1994-1995
Yang Style Taijiquan (Dr.Yang Jwing Ming) 2 years 1998-2000
Xingyi (Shanxi style-Che Yizhai lineage) Xinyi (Dai style- Wang Yinghai lineage) 1 month- currently studying with Master Li Tai Liang.

I have also taken seminars with such masters as Ren Guang Yi, Chen Zhonghua, Liang Shou yu and Yu Shao wen.
SquattingMonkey
Santi

Postby Butterball on Sun May 18, 2008 7:26 am

Hi,

I'm Josh. I trained some of BKF's martial arts and meditation under Frank Allen in New York for a few years and have been doing Brazilian Jiujitsu for the last four years. I practice Ashtanga Yoga and still practice the meditation and some of the Chi kung that I learned.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Morty on Mon May 19, 2008 12:33 am

It's been a while since I wrote one of these :)

I've been doing various stuff for 15 years or so, started Xingyi 5 years ago. Currently working on reconciling kungfu practice with marriage, and finding practice partners in Croatia.

Oh, and I'm a fervent follower of St. Sooty. Although monogamous since marriage. ;D
Last edited by Morty on Mon May 19, 2008 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The essence is shut the fuck up and train.
Morty
Mingjing

Postby yusuf on Mon May 19, 2008 12:19 pm

hmm

well... My name is Panchen Kimbo cornholio bungholis timmae, but you can call me Yusuf.. have done Iwama Aikido, a few years of amateur boxing, krav etc... but been studying CMA for a few years now.. area of speciality is knife ;D
Last edited by yusuf on Mon May 19, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue May 20, 2008 7:57 pm

started out with tkd, changed to yang taichi, changed to chen taichi, played around with a bit of karate, muay thai, judo, and bjj in uni, found systema. doing that exclusively now.
Ian

Postby bigphatwong on Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi! My name is... (what?) My name is... (who?!?) My name is -chicka chicka- Jules Shady! :D

You know the story... background in Ark Wong's Kung Fu & Chinese Kenpo, been sucking at Hsing-i on and off (mostly off, ha!) since around '02 when I got here. Began practicing Silat after suffering a significant sports injury, which taught me different and more efficient ways to move. Lately been investigating some of the pre-WW2 jujitsu stuff. I also enjoy Taoist chi gung, Zucker Bros. flicks and the occasional joint.

Christ, I feel like I just filled out one of RD's fucked up Match.com profiles. Yeesh.. :-X

Fabulous new place we got here. Love the drapes.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby dave on Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi,

I'm Dave, I've been doing Xinyi liu he, Yang taiji and Cha quan for a few (5?) years.
dave
Santi

Postby oskar on Wed May 21, 2008 3:22 am

Moi, everybody!

I'm Oskar, from Finland. Someone maybe remembers me (probably not) from the old forum as "Bayanbulag". I think i've been reading eF from 2004 but never posted much, but i really like this place! Didn't like the red leaves thing, but this new eF looks great! :)

I've been doing bajiquan from 2003. My teacher is Lü Baochun.
oskar
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan