Yahoo

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Yahoo

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 am

The following article may be a piece to fight against Icahn, but in my eyes he comes off like an asshole:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0805 ... ahoo_icahn

I mean, you start a company, bring to success only to have someone like Icahn force you to sell it against your convictions because he and a few other want to make some more money. There is nothing wrong with making money, but when the jobs and the mission of company is in jeopardy then I believe that selling it (to a competitor) is the wrong thing to do.

That and I also like my Yahoo Mail. -shrug-
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Re: Yahoo

Postby xxxxx on Thu May 15, 2008 8:16 am

Back to OTT with ya.
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Re: Yahoo

Postby Teazer on Thu May 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Darthwing Teorist wrote:The following article may be a piece to fight against Icahn, but in my eyes he comes off like an asshole:

I mean, you start a company, bring to success only to have someone like Icahn force you to sell it against your convictions because he and a few other want to make some more money. There is nothing wrong with making money, but when the jobs and the mission of company is in jeopardy then I believe that selling it (to a competitor) is the wrong thing to do.

Pretty much the entire goal for any company (at least in the US), and particularly for its board of directors is to "maximize shareholder value". If the current Yahoo directors think they can get returns higher than what was offered by the Msft deal, they haven't convinced anyone of it. Their 'success' looked pretty limp up until the merger offer was announced in February, having lost 50% of its value over the previous 2 years. Icahn is doing his bit as an investor to make sure the directors follow their stated goals. If you start a company, then the easiest way to avoid such a consequence is not to take it public. Alternatively, if Jerry Yang is that convinced of success, there's nothing stopping him doing a management buy out offering more than Msft and taking the company private again.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic