Singapore

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Singapore

Postby kreese on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:08 pm

What sorts of traditional arts do they have in Singapore? Modern (MMA, military, sport, etc.)?

Who are the best fighters/teachers in Singapore?
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Re: Singapore

Postby edededed on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Xu Jinge is a very skilled teacher of seven star praying mantis (Luo Guangyu lineage), Chen style taijiquan, and Yang style taijiquan (Dong Yingjie lineage). If I lived in Singapore, I think I would join one of his classes (would help if you can speak Chinese, however).

Zhu Tiancai (the famous Chen stylist) also of course lives in Singapore, although I don't know if he has ongoing classes or not.

Ge Chunyan (past famous wushu athlete) teaches Sun Zhijun baguazhang and xingyiquan in Singapore as well, if you are interested in that.

In addition, there are many less well-known Shaolin and other stylists that seem rather private; many do not teach, either (there isn't much market, anyway)...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:24 am

Thank you, sir.
I've always wanted to taste some mantis. I'll see what I can Google up about Xu Jinge. I am also a fan of Chen village Taijiquan having seen some firsthand recently. It would be an honor to meet Zhu Tiancai.
kreese
Great Old One

Postby RobT on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:01 am

Ge Chunyan teaches (used to anyway) on the top floor of the multi-story car park near Marine Parade HDB on the east cost. Friendly group - I simply went along to meet and ask if I could watch having met some of the students practising on the east coast in the morning. Was invited to join in the training (bagua jian form... didn't see any 2-man or application work).

A number of the folks who train there are recognised practitioners in their other arts (there was one pretty solid eagle claw guy that I remember).

There's also a guy teaching taiji out by Lavender street that has a good rep and mixes it up in push hands, though i forget the name.
"What can be said can be said simply - and whereof we cannot speak thereof we must be silent" (Wittgenstein)
"What we can't say we can't say, and we can't whistle it either" (Ramsey)
"Discuss less, practice more" (RobT)
RobT
Mingjing

Postby Mike Roberts on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Head over the bridge into johor bahru and you will find people like lau kim hong http://www.zhong-ding.com/lkh.html or
Master Lee Bei Lei http://www.zhong-ding.com/lbl.html

mike
"Real Taijiquan when looked at appears very simple, All of the gong fu, however, is on the inside."
Mike Roberts
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Isn't there also lots of lhbf out there?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Hmm - I guess Strange might know something about that...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:54 am

Lots of great ideas! Thanks! Keep 'em coming.
kreese
Great Old One

Return to Request a Teacher