Wholpin no. 4 (starring John Wang)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wholpin no. 4 (starring John Wang)

Postby bailewen on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:54 pm

I have been living in the mountains lately, building Avid's (professional digital editing equipment) for my stepdad and the other day I am fishing around for some media to test a system on and I grab thie DVD called "Wholpin". It's a collection of short films from independant filmmakers and there's a series of them, all very good. Pretty riveting actually.

Anyways, I throw one of them in the DVD and start digitizing a clip when who do I see on the screen but John Wang, hanging from a tree. What follows is about a 15 minute documentary on Master Wang and, I think it's Pat? Their demoing tree hanging and some really nice throws and the old healdlock special. Best demo footage I have seen from Mr. Wang actually. Probably because it was put together by a real film maker instead of some random dude with camcorder.

It's not listed on IMDB.com but I think we got our copy from cinefilevideo in West LA.

Very cool John Wang mini-documentary.

http://www.wholphindvd.com/

ps.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RJgEy34sZXQ

From the description:
lol. Katie attempting to try what that tree hanger guy does on the 5th Wholphin DVD :P
my camera eventually died for some reason though T_T
Last edited by bailewen on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Re: Wholpin no. 4 (starring John Wang)

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 pm

McSweeney's puts out high quality material, for sure. They have a great editorial staff, in my opinion.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:53 pm

I got it. I thought that there would be more brain-eating action going on, but it was cool to see John Wang on screen. The only problem with that DVD is the freaking menu. It is either the worse user interface known to man or they tried to make it a puzzle. I scrolled up and down for an eternity before I figured that to play John Wang's video I had simply to let the DVD play after the first or second screen (I don't remember). Weird!

Many thanks to John for the right click! ;)
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:30 am

yup! that was fun. the guy who made the short film, Dan, is a very great guy and lots of fun to talk to. he wanted to make a short film to enter into film competitions. it had to be a bio about people.

anyways, it was lots of fun. he did LOTS of interviews. he was very fun to hang with, but i must admit, i am not a huge fan of seeing myself on the screen. but it was fun!

i did not know how much brain smashing there might be, but Dan wanted to get more about John than about brains and proper technique to eat them :D
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan