Set Up

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Set Up

Postby johnwang on Thu May 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Most of the time, your opponent will escape out of your first attack. If you always depend on your initial attack then you will find out that your successful rate will be low. How do you train your set up? What's your favor set up? Do you have set up in your forms?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Set Up

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri May 16, 2008 6:57 am

feed a fake opening, step out and back in with a t-step and go!

never "depend" on anything.

always bear in mind that you are shit and could lose.

staying humble makes you stronger. and if you lose, you don't look like an ass. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri May 16, 2008 9:04 am

Something that i like to train is attacking high with my whole side of the body exposed (rib area), and as soon as i even think i notice some intent from the other guy to go for that area, i stall for a bit for it to happen and when it does try to hit again high (opposite hand) at the same time he goes low, while guarding my side with any piquan, chopping, or stepping aside/inside.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri May 16, 2008 9:05 am

I would love to hear some simple setups for SC throws.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby JuanM on Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am

Distract high to hit hard low. Distract low to hit high hard.
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri May 16, 2008 9:31 am

Juan, how do you make the distraction work? how do you know it worked, and youre free to go low?
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Fri May 16, 2008 9:34 am

Don't you think that the real key is to be ambiguous? Meaning to say... I have no set ups that can be recognized.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri May 16, 2008 9:46 am

A setup is basically making the other person do what you want them to do.

But, seeing Tim Cartmell o Leo T. Gaje move...they basically let you do whatever you want, cook it up and give it back to you on a silver platter.
Or maybe their setups are just so good they seem invisible?
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri May 16, 2008 10:10 am

Josealb wrote:I would love to hear some simple setups for SC throws.

If you are hooked up side to side with your hips slightly in front of his (both of you pretty much in horse stance) you can set up several throws by shooting your leg back between his legs so you go into a bow stance. The goal is to make him move his leg closest to you, when he does you can 1)use your leg to trap his posting leg and ankle pick him 2) step in front of his posting leg and use lower leg blocking.

Simple set up for chopping. If you want to do chopping with your right leg then pull him to your right side then step with your left and bring him back left and back as you chop with your right leg.

Set up for downward pulling, resist his press 2 times and when he presses the third time you step back and pull him down.

Is your opponent throws a right hook use a deflecting hand block with your left hand and step in with your right foot to his right foot while entering with your right arm underneath his right arm, change faces (spin 180) and use "overturning the sack"throw. You can do just about any basic hip throw from this set up and if you can pull your opponent into you as you spin it is even better.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 am

Here's one I learned from david chang.

Elbow to the face while stepping in
they block high
you change angle slightly and take his front leg with a knee seizing throw, continuing your own forward momentum.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby JuanM on Fri May 16, 2008 11:59 am

Jose keep hitting them with low kicks enough to have their mind think the next kick is going to be low and then hit 'em with the high kick. Alternatively, hit 'em with a quick one-two combo that has enough on it to make them cover up high and then unload with an inside thigh kick.

These are very basic se ups as I am just a beginner.
JuanM
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri May 16, 2008 12:15 pm

That works, Juan. But, you need to count on the guy to stick to defensive mode. What if he counters as soon as you do your feint? Its better to make him counter your feint, in a way that you know whats gonna come and how to deal with it.

Fong,
That sounds like something that can come out of Li Mao Shang Shu.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Fri May 16, 2008 1:56 pm

maybe. the thing is, elbow range = throwing range.
once you get into elbow range, you can change to the throw easily. you still have to set up the elbow. the elbow strike setup is a horizontal elbow usually.

li mao shang shu is usually a short kicking range/beng quan range, as I use it.
Last edited by nianfong on Fri May 16, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Josealb on Fri May 16, 2008 2:08 pm

im gonna mess around with it tomorrow...im thinking go inside the elbow range with li mao cross step, hitting high, and hooking the front knee with your front hand and advance cross step again, pushing/elbowing with the other hand.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby OldRed on Fri May 16, 2008 3:27 pm

I like a straight lead to the face. You find out right away if the opponent is a bridger, likes to cover up, or can slip and then strategies vary from that point. If they like to keep thier distance I might throw that straight lead with a front kick behind it to help cross some real estate.
OldRed
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan