New private sub-section for internal power discussions

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: New private sub-section for internal power discussions

Postby Daniel on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:52 am

phil b wrote:I would like to see a section where IP can be discussed with derailing every time.
I rarely post here, because most of the discussions quickly become pointless. There's a lot of bitching and I've been bitched at for giving my opinion. I've been bitched at by people who know fuck all about me and make dumb ass comments about me while talking like they're an expert!
I would support a section that was educational.
Let's face it, we don't have to agree, but why make it personal?
I've never met Dan, but his posts make more sense than 99% of this "internal" forum.

Phil

Invite or not, I´d like to join.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Sean on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 am

I think the proposal can do more harm than good. Something like that will just divide people even more....
Isn't the point of this forum to educate people about internal martial arts? How can you educate people who don't know what "internal power" is by excluding them from a special sub-forum on the subject?
Sean
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 am

Sean wrote:I think the proposal can do more harm than good. Something like that will just divide people even more....
Isn't the point of this forum to educate people about internal martial arts? How can you educate people who don't know what "internal power" is by excluding them from a special sub-forum on the subject?

Maybe a rule like "Please think through before posting?" 8-)

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby RobB on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 am

If there is to be an IP sub-forum (and I'm all for giving the knowledgeable space to write so the noobs like myself can learn) why not have one that is open to being read by all but posting is by invitation?

Cheers

Rob
RobB
Mingjing

Postby middleway on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 am

I'm all for it!

The forum has most definitely become one on 'Martial Arts and Fitness training' rather than Specifically IMAs. We have muay thai, MMA, Judo, BJJ, Silat etc threads on a regular basis as well as the semi occasional CIMA one! :D

However i am not sure it needs to be close.

After all, who moderates who should and should not post, what do they base that on etc etc. The moderators would have to have met everyone they invite into the close forum to know if they have one persons or another persons definition of internal power. Would it be IP from Dan's perspective, from Mikhail Ryabkos perspective through RobP, from Chen styles perspective though Andy?

The beauty of this forum IMO is that although there is often heated discussion, there is pretty rarely bad intent, bad feeling etc behind the posts. Certainly from my POV.

Maybe the answer is a IP subsection, which is heavily moderated. As such all off topic bounds are picked up on very fast and squashed :D

Dan i think you need to understand though that even if we get this sub forum, you may feel like your trying to convince people all the time unless you give a lot of detail.

As i say the issue is most definitely that we do not have an overarching DEFINITION of IP that everyone agrees on. Maybe you could pen one for a sticky in the subsection so everyone on the same page?

All the best.

Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Miro on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:55 am

There was an internal martial arts forum a few years ago, where everyone could read it but only invited could write into it - however, it did not last long... I also do not think it is good idea to do it here on RSF, it has stabilized membership and some people will be unhappy about it. Perhaps it is better to open a completely new forum... And because I was thinking about it quite a long time, maybe we should create a new website focused on internal training in following subsections:
- Chinese and Japanese Internal Martial Arts
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Taoist Alchemy
- Buddhist Meditation
- Yoga
- Christian Mysticism
and whatever other systems (or their parts) they work with practical internal development...
Would be an interest about such forum? Open to all but moderated, focused mostly on practice but also with translation of texts etc. Give me feedback, pls.
Last edited by Miro on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
We have entered a voyeuristic, or "phanic," era where esoteric ideas and methods are only unveiled and put within reach of everyone because they no longer have any chance of being understood. (Mircea Eliade)
Miro
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:56 am

AllanF wrote:i'm for it!

RSF should be about that as well as general discussion on CIMA. It was/is what drew me to the forum in the first place but sadly recently there has been little or no discussion on the subject.

Though i am not sure about the invite only part.

+1
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby chud on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:58 am

Bodywork wrote:Am I the only one who has checked in on this MMA fest that RSF has become and just left? I mean WTF?

Yes, I agree 100%. RSF has become an MMA-lovefest (specifically a BJJ-lovefest) lately.

Bodywork wrote:This used to be a great resource and I liked coming here. It seems all the good ones just up and left.

Or got banned. I can think of 3 right off the top of my head.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 am

my view is that if there is going to be a subforum for IP
then it should be open for everyone to post and everyone to read

to me this place is for people to come together and talk about what we love- MA
i don't come here to teach people, correct people, or learn from people
i come here because like it was described as from the early days- its like a bar where you can meet with your friends and talk

my observation- please no one get offended- i don't mean anyone specifically
is that this place can get kind of clickish-
i think a private section of the forum where certain people will decide who is qualified to post (who is right)
and also who can read will just make this worse in that regard

if anyone wants to start a private forum it is really easy
a domain name is like 7 buck and hosting space is very cheap
and to set up a forum to run on the server is easy- there are many free forum software applications
then invite anyone that may want to join the new forum to come on over
that way the owner of the forum can run it anyway they see fit

franklin

edit-
i am also curious to hear what people would have to share on a IP sub forum
my personal experience is that - talking about things like this are ok but you have to be coming from a place of personal experience
then you can talk and discuss stuff
i think for a beginner it would be better for them to learn some exercises and then go and practice
Last edited by Franklin on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:11 am

The main forum is for IMA. This should logically include IP. I see no reason to make a sub-forum, much less an private, invite only sub-forum. All that would do is create more drama and break this group up more. Lately the main forum has been about dead. I don't know why but I don't like it. If we create any new sub forums we should create one for all MA other than the big 3 and their related arts. That way no one complains about BJJ or boxing threads in the main section.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby liokault on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 am

I think a sub forum where no one is allowed to criticise or question Dan in a manner that could be perceived as negative is a great idea. I think it should be private and invitation only.

Proposed list of people to be invited into the "Don't question me" sub forum is as follows:

1/ Bodywork.

This is all
liokault
Great Old One

Postby junglist on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 am

Not to defend or anything but a statement like that is unfair, liokault. Most of the "criticism" against Dan really comes from the "ima is just good body mechanics--a mma guy demonstrates good ima principles" camp, people that probably do not have skills that Dan and others want to talk about..or have not even encountered it. Those people have no business getting into discussion about "internal martial arts"--even if they say they study tai chi, or baji, or shaolin long fist, it doesnt matter unless they have the understanding of skill in their bodies.
junglist
Anjing

Postby liokault on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:30 am

junglist wrote:Not to defend or anything but a statement like that is unfair, liokault. Most of the "criticism" against Dan really comes from the "ima is just good body mechanics--a mma guy demonstrates good ima principles" camp, people that probably do not have skills that Dan and others want to talk about..or have not even encountered it. Those people have no business getting into discussion about "internal martial arts"--even if they say they study tai chi, or baji, or shaolin long fist, it doesnt matter unless they have the understanding of skill in their bodies.

I think a person questioning this stuff is healthy. I think a closed arena where no one is going to really query anything is unhealthy.

We should also have a closed forum reserved for people who believe in Qi and one for Christians who are waiting for the rapture.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby junglist on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:53 am

liokault wrote:
junglist wrote:Not to defend or anything but a statement like that is unfair, liokault. Most of the "criticism" against Dan really comes from the "ima is just good body mechanics--a mma guy demonstrates good ima principles" camp, people that probably do not have skills that Dan and others want to talk about..or have not even encountered it. Those people have no business getting into discussion about "internal martial arts"--even if they say they study tai chi, or baji, or shaolin long fist, it doesnt matter unless they have the understanding of skill in their bodies.

I think a person questioning this stuff is healthy. I think a closed arena where no one is going to really query anything is unhealthy.

We should also have a closed forum reserved for people who believe in Qi and one for Christians who are waiting for the rapture.

Well, THAT'S the reason why he wants a private forum. He is NOT suggesting people to close their minds and to not question, you are free to do in the public forum.

But if you want to discuss some details about the process of learning bodyskill that's different from what modern Western athletics in an effort to progress, I also wouldn't want someone coming in with no knowledge or no skill to say "d00d, w3 d3w d4t in MMA cl4ss!".

" one for Christians who are waiting for the rapture." Why on earth would you want this. This is a frigging, read, INTERNAL martial arts forum. Dont be stupid.
junglist
Anjing

Postby liokault on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 am

junglist wrote:Well, THAT'S the reason why he wants a private forum. He is NOT suggesting people to close their minds and to not question, you are free to do in the public forum.

Look at the Shenfa thread, what Dan wants is to set the definition of IP. I don't see him wanting open discussion, I see him looking for more people who are prepared to listen to him.
liokault
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan