Dai Shi Xin Yi

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Dai Shi Xin Yi

Postby krisbowen on Tue May 13, 2008 12:54 am

Hello all,
My interest lies in Dia Shi Liu He Xin Yi.
I currently practice at home, constantly improving what I have been taught by Master Yan Long Chang and one of his students John Dyer (aka Dai Jer chang/ jaybee)

Just wondering how many of you are studying or have studied this style?
Also wondering how many persons would be interested in learning and where you are located?
John Wang said ; BJJ "mounting skill" is just one of the ancient China men's "raping" skill.
krisbowen
Great Old One

Re: Dai Shi Xin Yi

Postby I-mon on Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 am

hi Kris.

I learned a tiny bit one day from Jarek in shanghai (basic slow squatting monkey, just enough to spark my interest and work on without hurting myself), and then was lucky enough to meet and train for a couple of months with Evan Chen (another student of Master Yan) when he was in taiwan last year. we did the mojin, dipan spirally thing, spirally shoulder/elbow thing, 2 versions of squatting monkey, and yizibu.

if you're in melbourne we should hook up when i go back to australia, maybe early next year i'm not sure.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby krisbowen on Tue May 13, 2008 1:36 am

SimonT, definately! Let me know when you get back!
John Wang said ; BJJ "mounting skill" is just one of the ancient China men's "raping" skill.
krisbowen
Great Old One

Postby Mike_R on Tue May 13, 2008 2:49 am

If you ever swing by Canberra id be interested in seeing some for sure :)
Mike_R
Santi

Postby I-mon on Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 am

mike i'm sort of from canberra, so that's where i'll be going, at least to begin with.

who are you training with in canberra?
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Mike_R on Tue May 13, 2008 3:52 am

I train with Miles Henderson (Disciple of Liu Jing Ru) as well as other random stuff at any given time.
Mike_R
Santi

Postby krisbowen on Tue May 13, 2008 3:58 am

Mike_R,
Hello I am not familiar with who is who in Aus , what style does Miles teach?
krisbowen
Great Old One

Postby Mike_R on Tue May 13, 2008 4:01 am

In terms of IMA, Hebei Xingyi and Cheng Bagua.
Mike_R
Santi

Postby I-mon on Tue May 13, 2008 4:04 am

cool i know miles! (he does cheng style bagua, kris) we were classmates for a while when he was training with Fei, back when i was just starting IMA. Say hi from Simon (who went to tokyo, long ago).
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Mike_R on Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 am

Will do :)
Mike_R
Santi

Postby Craig on Tue May 13, 2008 5:43 am

SimonT = I-mon? If so hurry up and get yo ass back to Canberra, we need to share beatings ;D

Mike: gimme a buzz if you wanna organise something in the near future. I'm a little busy this weekend tho.

Bowen: If you're in melbourne you should give Guy (aka Mut_sao) a buzz. He's a champ and really knows his stuff (at least in theory, didnt get to cross hands yet cos he's a pansy and keeps running away from me bahaha). I'll let you know if I ever get to Melbourne (pretty keen on it but no funds), likewise if you come to Canberra you're more than welcome to join us for some traditional xin yi liu he.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Tue May 13, 2008 6:01 am

Hey Brothers,

Good to see everyone on the new board, I hope it brings all of us luck in whatever ventures we aspire to.

I am still here in Qi Xian/Shanxi, I have 2 more days of training and I will be heading back to NZ.

I hope to get my ass to Australia soon as my wife has never been there (neither has my daughter) and I want to go and check out the bro's stomping grounds (Melbourne).

Training in Dai Xin Yi Quan is not something to be taken lightly, it is a very hard and sometimes tedious journey. Today I had a shit of a day as I was finishing up (definitely not finished) the San Gun (3 Stick) form. The thing was driving me fucking insane as I have no translator here at the moment, I almost throwing the stick up on the roof, haha.

All I can say to anyone wanting to learn Dai Xin Yi Quan is to find the right instructor is very important, the you need persistence and the will to drive yourselves, especially if you do not have a instructor in your area to train with. There are times where you think you are going nowhere or you think you are going backwards in your training, but you need to keep your chin up and maintain focus and staying power.

The most important thing's of all is Shen Fa (Body Method), Bu Fa (Stepping) and Bang Fa (Shoulder Method). If you cannot form some type of foundation in these, then forget about Dai Xin Yi Quan. Because without these 3 gem's what you are practising is a dead art. Every technique in Dai Xin Yi Quan have these as a foundation.

First develop Shen Fa, now how you develop this? practice "dun hou shi" relentlessly, once you have ingrained some of the principles in your posture, then you start the footwork and after footwork you develop (shoulder skill).

Don't be in a rush to learn the forms or movements, they are useless without the foundation.

Got to go, if anyone wants to talk more about this stuff, I am more than happy to help (not that I profess to know much)

Jon. aka Dai Zhi Qiang
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Tue May 13, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Tue May 13, 2008 9:10 am

shenfa bufa bangfa

practice relentlessly

squatting monkey.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby krisbowen on Wed May 14, 2008 2:33 am

Jon,
Good to hear you are still in Shanxi, I will give a call when you get home. Maybe we can arrange some time for you to do an introductory seminar in Melbourne on Dai Shi....

BTW pretty much everything I know of Dai Shi (which is only scratching the surface) I learned from Master Yan and Jon so I take his advice on all things Dai Shi
Last edited by krisbowen on Wed May 14, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
krisbowen
Great Old One

Postby Mike_R on Wed May 14, 2008 4:58 am

Craig wrote:Mike: gimme a buzz if you wanna organise something in the near future. I'm a little busy this weekend tho.

No rush, im a bit sick at the moment anyways. Ill shoot you a PM at some point for sure though, as well as finally get around to attending some XYLH classes some time.
Mike_R
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan