trouble logging in?

Official postings from the admins and moderators. Report bugs and make forum improvement requests here as well.

Re: trouble logging in?

Postby taiwandeutscher on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:18 am

Oh thanks, never knew!
Angle from Heaven!
(Hermann in Taiwan)
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:15 am

Was I the only one? About 6 hours ago, after logging in successfully and reading/sending PM's, when I later accessed the OFF TOPIC forum, I got a "You're permanently banned, your IP address has been recorded." message.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:42 pm

I got the same generic page about being banned from 2 different browsers, even after clearing cookies, and also when using a proxy. And it didn't show on the main page, but only when I accessed the OFF TOPIC forum. Could it be related to the current spambot accounts?
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:07 am

So the spambots are smarta than captcha? Fancy algorithims.
Michael

Postby cdobe on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Since today I have to log in every time I visit the website, although I tick the "Log me on automatically each visit". Any ideas what the problem might be?
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Server update... See the Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rumsoakedfist/?fref=nf
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:54 am

Dmitri wrote:Server update... See the Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rumsoakedfist/?fref=nf

Thanks Dmitri. :) I have shut down my Facebook, so I don't follow these announcements.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby RobB on Tue May 05, 2015 5:00 am

Hi,

Since the upgrade I am having to log in each time I visit. IE & Chrome. Not a huge deal but I think something like this happened before and it got fixed.

Cheers

Rob
RobB
Mingjing

Postby chud on Tue May 05, 2015 6:40 am

kenneth delves wrote:It has started again, every time I post I have to log in again

Same thing happening to me: already logged in, but have to re-login to post.
chud
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue May 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Same with me have to relog each time
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Fri May 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Constantly having to re-login here. There's something a bit funny with the authentication that happened a couple of weeks ago. It's most a minor annoyance but I just lost an entire PM that I was writing to someone as a consequence of this which I couldn't recover, and I lost a post the other day as well.

Here's some technical info on what's going wrong in case it helps:

Whenever we log in we get a new "sid" associated with the user session which is passed in the url, and whenever we navigate to a new link that same "sid" has to be passed, otherwise the user is logged out. One side effect of this is that I can't use a bookmark to RSF without being logged out every time I click on it. Also if you have another tab open with a previous "sid" value then when you navigate to another link in that tab you'll get logged out again and all other open tabs will be "out of date" resulting in more logouts when you go back and use them.

This is a very unusual approach to authentication as normally user authentication is cookie based rather than passed as a url parameter, and it's no more likely to prevent spam/robots. I am sure this is why it was changed but it's very unlikely to work.

I know the effort goes into maintaining a forum and I appreciate all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes to keep it up and running, but if this issue could be resolved that would be amazing as right now I'm always worrying about the forum losing my posts/pms.

Thanks,

Matthew
Last edited by mrtoes on Fri May 08, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat May 09, 2015 7:30 am

mrtoes wrote:Constantly having to re-login here. There's something a bit funny with the authentication that happened a couple of weeks ago. It's most a minor annoyance but I just lost an entire PM that I was writing to someone as a consequence of this which I couldn't recover, and I lost a post the other day as well.

/SHORTENED

but if this issue could be resolved that would be amazing as right now I'm always worrying about the forum losing my posts/pms.

Thanks,

Matthew

Sifu Kelley wrote:i have added a new server node and updated to a new server version with many changes. rsf has been tested with no issues. let me know on rsf fb if you notice problems. also, i am implementing distributed memory cache which should speed things up as well as addressing the autologin issue.

fb = FACEBOOK

Current turnaround time for getting approved to join the RSF Facebook group in order to post these issues on the wall is unknown, but last year was running into months.

Reason for posting technical updateds on RSF but requiring people to respond about issues on RSF Facebook wall? unknown
Number of replies on RSF to this recent logout problem on RSF? None.
Michael

Postby chud on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 am

I'm still having trouble posting, get logged out and lose everything I typed, then have to log in a second time and try again.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm also having trouble posting.
The site says I'm logged in, but after writing up what I want to post, I'll try to post it but the site tells me to login and then I lose what I've just spent some time typing.
This double login garbage happens every time I try to login.
WHY IS THIS OCCURRING??????
This garbage has been going on for some time.
PLEASE fix it!!!

Bill Smith
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:49 pm

I suggest you also post this issue in the Facebook group.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Official News and Communication