bicycle question...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

bicycle question...

Postby ashe on Thu May 22, 2008 11:50 pm

so i'm looking at picking up a fast bike to replace most of my commuting but don't know much about road bikes.

i'd like to get something that i can average maybe 25-30mph on for short distances (less than 5 miles).

i'll probably pick up something used, so i'm looking to spend not more than $700, but i would think that i could probably find something in that price range that retailed for $3500.

so, who can help a whitey out?
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Re: bicycle question...

Postby nianfong on Fri May 23, 2008 1:06 am

my roommate's bf is a road-biker. you probably don't need shocks right? I can ask him what he recommends.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby ashe on Fri May 23, 2008 1:28 am

nianfong wrote:my roommate's bf is a road-biker. you probably don't need shocks right? I can ask him what he recommends.

sounds good. any help would be the cheese...
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Mut on Fri May 23, 2008 5:17 am

if it is relatively flat terrian most road bikes should fit the bill for that speed over such short distances. I would suggest you look for flat barred road bikes... or a road bike and have it converted to flat bar
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri May 23, 2008 7:24 am

I'm assuming that phoenix is still flat as fuck since the last time I was there....lots of goatheads everywhere if I remember right though. You might want to make sure you have all the flat protection you can get...plastic inserts etc.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Fri May 23, 2008 9:30 am

Dude, if it's less than 5 mi I would try and get a used beach cruiser. I prefer those to the racing & mountain bikes because they are solid have good suspension and you're sitting sttraight up instead of hunched over. You should be able to pick one up for under $200 on craigslist. I got mine for $50 at a pawn shop.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Fri May 23, 2008 11:37 am

bigphatwong wrote:Dude, if it's less than 5 mi I would try and get a used beach cruiser. I prefer those to the racing & mountain bikes because they are solid have good suspension and you're sitting sttraight up instead of hunched over. You should be able to pick one up for under $200 on craigslist. I got mine for $50 at a pawn shop.

i already have a nice jamis. (although it's a little too small for me)

i want something really fast and as effortless to ride as possible. i'm looking towards using this as a means of transportation so time is of the essence. i'm actually looking at distances of up to 20 miles one way (twice a week) but i'd probably try and catch the bus or the light rail (open att he end of the year, yay!) for the longest stretches of east/west and then just use the bike for the short north/south runs.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri May 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Just set your price and go out to your local bicycle store --not a K-Mart, but a real bicycle store. Tell the guy there what you want and he'll be sure to have something for you. If you can take it for a test ride, do it. If you will have to walk up lots of stairs with it, then maybe you might worry about the weight. Other than that, forget about it. The rider's more important than the bike. So, any bike that suits you will be fine.

Well, if you want to go "fast", the most important thing is aerodynamics (i.e., "your position on the bike"). So, if you give up hunching over, you'll also have to accept going slower. If you think you'll be going offroad or on rough terrain, then you'll have to use tires that will slow you down. It's always going to be a trade off.

So, imo, your best bet is just to follow your budget and find a ride you like. For 500 bucks, you can get something nice. Try here for an idea http://www.performancebike.com/shop/ite ... re_ID=1699 , but having a good talk with your bikeshop guy is better. Make it close, so you can take it back if needed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby BAI HE on Fri May 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Biking is rather addictive. You'll probably want to ride a lot more than you think.
My advice is get something in quality steel or Composite.
Aliminum bikes are nice but they telegraph the road into your body.
Then again, aluminum has come a long way since I've ridden seriously.

Get good bike shorts too. In AZ you will chafe in that heat.
BAI HE

Postby chud on Fri May 23, 2008 12:58 pm

I have a friend in Austin who's an avid biker, and he told me there's not much about bikes that you can't find on Sheldon Brown's web site: http://sheldonbrown.com/
chud
Great Old One

Postby BAI HE on Fri May 23, 2008 2:40 pm

Word that.

R.I.P. Sheldon
BAI HE

Postby ashe on Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 pm

chud wrote:I have a friend in Austin who's an avid biker, and he told me there's not much about bikes that you can't find on Sheldon Brown's web site: http://sheldonbrown.com/

thanx for the tip. i'll check it out.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 am

$700 for a new bike is not the best idea, IMO. It's enough for a starter bike, but if you end up liking it, you'll want to get something at least twice that later. I think $700 for used is an excellent plan. If you want to upgrade later, your web skilz for an ebay or craigslist ad will likely get you full return on your used bike, then you upgrade.

Now they have bikes in-between MTB and hunched over, Breaking Away, road racers: urban bikes of different names. I don't like hunched over and I must have a comfortable seat with lots o' padding, but then I'm kinda a puss that way. I would look for something that is fast and practical, something you wouldn't wear special clothes for and that's less likely to get lots of flats. And a cute little bell so people get out of your way.

Chris, thanks for that cycling link! :)
Michael

Postby Mut on Sat May 24, 2008 5:10 pm

ohh... and get cleets.... being part of the machine increases your power output by quite a margin!
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat May 24, 2008 5:56 pm

I did bike commuting for a while and found mini toes clips conveniet--adds a little power without trapping your foot.

http://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Bicycle-Half-Toe-Clips/dp/B000AO9K9S

With the price of gas doing what it's doing, I'm going to be using the bike more. My commuter bike is a cruiser type because nobody steals those and they are very comfortable to ride. Not as fast as what you are looking for, though.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic