UFO The Vatican says yes

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

UFO The Vatican says yes

Postby kenneth delves on Fri May 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Vatican: It's OK to Believe in Aliens news.yahoo.com — The Vatican's chief astronomer says that believing in aliens does not contradict faith in God. The Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, says that the vastness of the universe means it is possible there could be other forms of life outside Earth, even intelligent ones.
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Re: UFO The Vatican says yes

Postby Ian on Fri May 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Is it ok to believe they could be more intelligent than us, or are we still the center of it all?
Ian

Postby cerebus on Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Ian wrote:Is it ok to believe they could be more intelligent than us, or are we still the center of it all?

As long as no one claims that aliens are more intelligent than the pope, it's probably okay.... ;)
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat May 24, 2008 3:57 am

Oh, please! The creedal statement is that God is the creator of all things seen and unseen. Unseen includes one eyed one horned flying purple people eaters. I have never seen one, but if you have one, you may mail it to the Vatican in care of brother Fuentes.

The Vatican obervatory does hard science, with numbers and everything, They knock off to pray sometimes.
Last edited by klonk on Sat May 24, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat May 24, 2008 4:35 am

Someone's going to have to straighten out something for me 'cause I'm getting all confused in this big crazy world full of aliens and sexual rules.

Fact #1: Homosexuality is forbidden.
Fact #2: Aliens are now on the approved list.

I know it's an indelicate question, but where does that leave us on the topic of alien anal probes? If it happens to me, do I need to see a doctor, a G-Man (MIB), and a priest?

If the anal probe thing no longer requires absolution, then does chanting "Klaatu barada nikto!" make other stuff okay, too? It's not for me, you understand, just a general knowledge kind of question for the experts. I was waiting for meeks to ask this, but he's really slow today. ;D
Michael

Postby count on Sat May 24, 2008 5:12 am

kenneth delves wrote:Vatican: It's OK to Believe in Aliens news.yahoo.com — The Vatican's chief astronomer says that believing in aliens does not contradict faith in God. The Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, says that the vastness of the universe means it is possible there could be other forms of life outside Earth, even intelligent ones.

In the words of Stephen Hawking http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=64595, "If there is life elsewhere in the universe, Hawking asks why haven't we stumbled onto some alien broadcasts in space, maybe something like "alien quiz shows?"

Nice post Mike, real food for thought. ;D
Last edited by count on Sat May 24, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat May 24, 2008 6:25 am

It's funny when the Vatican says anything...as if they are some how in control of people's lives. It does point to their mindset, that they still believe they can tell people what to think. Catholicism may be large but the majority of Christians in this country are not Catholic, do not believe in the supremacy of the pope, do not believe that there is a headquarters church in the vatican, etc.
Chris Fleming

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat May 24, 2008 6:53 am

Chris Fleming wrote:It's funny when the Vatican says anything...as if they are some how in control of people's lives. It does point to their mindset, that they still believe they can tell people what to think. Catholicism may be large but the majority of Christians in this country are not Catholic, do not believe in the supremacy of the pope, do not believe that there is a headquarters church in the vatican, etc.

um, they do tell people how to act and think on a global basis and they also have a lot of obedience on a global basis.

have you ever seen the basillica on a high day.

Now, I can see how a some new jersey catholics might drift away from the holy see, lol, but RC as a church is huge and the Pope is pope to over a billion people.

Go check an italian catholic and see how they obey, or a south american one.

there is strong obedience in observant catholics and the pope does have sway over hundreds of millions of people.

believe it. If it wasn't true, there would be no papacy and it certainly wouldn't merit the level of attention that it gets (the RC church and pope in rome)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat May 24, 2008 7:00 am

...also, as you may well know, the RC view on other christian churches is that they are wrong in their interpretation and practice.

so, Anglicans who call themselves Episcopalians in America because the queen of england is head of that church and if that isn't an embarrassment to an American, then i don't know what is, as well as Lutherans and united churches and unitarians are all, to the last an offshoot of the Catholic church. They all came out of it and at their core they owe their systems and rituals to the ancient ways that preceded them.

there is a lot of good theological arguments against other churches that marks them down as schism.

Lets look at the real reason for the founding of the Anglican church.

I believe it was with King Henry the 8th who being denied annulments for his non heir bearing marriages is refused, had to resort to murdering his wives and finally just decided to lump it and head up his own church. Much like L Ron Hubbard did.

this makes the founding of the Anglican church morally suspect and a fallacy in the eyes of Catholicism on a lot of fronts.

Lutherans protested their way out of the catholic church because the Germans couldn't force favour their way from Rome.

It has been subject to schism after schism after schism. and here it still is with over a billion faithful worldwide. Pretty impressive even for a draconian backward way of thinking. IMO.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat May 24, 2008 6:45 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:
Chris Fleming wrote:It's funny when the Vatican says anything...as if they are some how in control of people's lives. It does point to their mindset, that they still believe they can tell people what to think. Catholicism may be large but the majority of Christians in this country are not Catholic, do not believe in the supremacy of the pope, do not believe that there is a headquarters church in the vatican, etc.

um, they do tell people how to act and think on a global basis and they also have a lot of obedience on a global basis.

have you ever seen the basillica on a high day.

Now, I can see how a some new jersey catholics might drift away from the holy see, lol, but RC as a church is huge and the Pope is pope to over a billion people.

Go check an italian catholic and see how they obey, or a south american one.

there is strong obedience in observant catholics and the pope does have sway over hundreds of millions of people.

believe it. If it wasn't true, there would be no papacy and it certainly wouldn't merit the level of attention that it gets (the RC church and pope in rome)

Not entirely sure why you wrote that... :-\ my point is that in this country, the majority of Christians are not Catholic, yet the "pope" still acts like this is not the case. It's sort of like when Great Britain made an announcement to their people back in the 90's if I'm not mistaken, announcing that they are no longer the world's leading super power. Duh! A little out of touch.
Chris Fleming

Postby kenneth delves on Sat May 24, 2008 8:46 pm

The pope is not the only world leader who believes in UFO's

bush 41 Jimmy Carter Targeted By Bush 41's Bizarre UFO ScamAfter Jimmy Carter won the presidency, he paid a visit to then-CIA director George H.W. Bush’s office and supposedly asked to see the agency’s UFO files — Carter had seen something weird flying around the skies back in 1969, when he was standing outside a Lion’s Club in Georgia, and had made campaign promises to open up the government’s X-Files.

Find out how the Bush Family protects the Alien Invaders from space, too, after the jump.

Poppy Bush refused, saying Carter didn’t have the “need to know” required to see the CIA’s apparently extensive Top Secret Space Monster Archives.

Instead, Bush suggested the new president ask the Congressional Research Service to prepare a UFO briefing for the new administration. Carter apparently did so, and through some convoluted process the young general counsel for the Jesuits in Washington was asked to get the Vatican’s secret UFO files for the White House … and the Vatican flatly denied the request. (The lawyer was Daniel Sheehan, who would become famous for investigating conspiracies such as Iran-Contra and the Karen Silkwood murder.)

Sheehan was eventually led to a secret Library of Congress vault with armed guards and a mysterious man in a suit. Sheehan saw remarkable (fake) pictures and film of crashed flying saucers; he wasn’t allowed to take notes or make copies.

According to some website claim that’s about as plausible as anything else these days, Bush 41 set up Sheehan so that Carter would launch a UFO crusade and otherwise act like a nut, which would discredit the new administration — all because Carter was going to shut down all the illegal CIA operations. But Jimmy didn’t take the bait, and Bush 41 got fired, but he soon got his revenge on Carter when Reagan/Bush won the White House back for the Team just one term later.
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat May 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Ken, where does that info come from?
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun May 25, 2008 6:35 am

The Internet, most likely. And the only good that information does is rile up people who hate masons, right? :)
Michael

Return to Off the Topic