Shooting of the Week

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Shooting of the Week

Postby grzegorz on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am

Since these random acts of violence are going to continue to be an American phenomenon and nothing is ever going to be done to reduce this we might as well have a thread for these events considering that we basically have a new one every week that is worthy of every news outlet's attention.

http://news.yahoo.com/cbs-journalists-s ... 23506.html
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Shooting off the Week

Postby yeniseri on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 pm

We should be looking forward to the increased incidence and frequency since that is the pattern and practice!
If you have a hammer then everything becomes a nail
Last edited by yeniseri on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:50 am

I had noticed the phenomena. Whereas the UK seems to have the most original murders, Crippen, Heath, top serial killer etc, the USA has cornered the market on bizarre shootings, from Lincoln to the grassy knoll, now on TV, I suspect thatJerry Springer et al have increased the security
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:03 am

Methinks you wanted to write "Shooting of the Week." Shooting off the week has a different connotation.

Unfortunately, it's true that these bizarre shootings seem to be happening on a regular basis. We'd be lucky if they were the only ones that happened.

This last guy was a loon, but the "disgruntled ex-employee" motivation is something that people can deal with. What is harder to comprehend is how the guy used a GoPro camera and posted a video of the killing on social media. He was clearly mentally ill, but he was rational enough to film and to kill himself before he was captured. Imo, I'd prefer to call him sick, rather than mentally ill.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:54 pm

well,
killing has the long tradition to be problems vanisher /strange `cause never worked in long run/,
but
using it, as the medicine for mental twist , looks like new XXI c, not only american fashion
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Steve James wrote:Methinks you wanted to write "Shooting of the Week." Shooting off the week has a different connotation.

Noted and corrected, thanks Steve.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Shooting of the Week

Postby warriorprincess on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:35 am

warriorprincess
Anjing

Postby Peacedog on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:40 am

The hard part for most people to get their head around is that the US is a country of 320 million people.

Murder rates are at historic lows nationwide.

The fact that a mentally disturbed homosexual killed someone else instead of himself is a little unusual, but the odds of this kind of thing happening are essentially margin of error for the general population.

Keep in perspective that more people die from prescription medication overdoses every year than violent crime.

At least this POS had the decency to kill himself so the taxpayers are not on the hook for his long term incarceration.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:25 am

True therefore it would be more accurate to look at rate per 100,000 people.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Problem one is that there are so many mentally ill people in the US who want to shoot up folks. Problem two is that it's so easy for them to obtain firearms. Solving problem two won't affect problem one. Fixing problem one would make problem two moot.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:56 pm

I thought 'shooting of the week' would a endless topic where people could post single and double leg takedowns (a shoot) and then endlessly debate the cma vs. mma.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:49 pm

D_Glenn wrote:I thought 'shooting of the week' would a endless topic where people could post single and double leg takedowns (a shoot) and then endlessly debate the cma vs. mma.

haha ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:33 pm

D_Glenn wrote:I thought 'shooting of the week' would a endless topic where people could post single and double leg takedowns (a shoot) and then endlessly debate the cma vs. mma.

Nah, it has to do with living in the States where random shootings is the cornerstone of our society and in which videos of the shootings is a new form of entertainment, reality TV people just can't resist

Watch "Nine-year-old girl accidentally kills gun instructor" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/oGCKFzGAfQ0
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Oddly enough...

There are countries with much higher rates of gun violence than the USA. Ours is too high, but the question is why some are higher, some lower. What can we learn from that question?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... death_rate

The homicide rate does not fully correlate to rates of legal gun ownership, in the sense that some of the worst places have very little private ownership. Go figure! And some of the countries with low gun homicide rates have plenty of guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of ... by_country

As I prolly said sometime already, America has its gun violence stats skewed all to hell by the presence of a smallish set of localities that are practically free fire zones. If you look at these hot spots in isolation from the rest of the country, the rest of it looks distinctly peaceful.

America is also home to a bunch of ranters who don't like your gun whoever you are. They are not always scrupulous about facts and statistics.
Last edited by klonk on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:51 pm

I do not think bizarre shootings are a distinctly American phenomenon. You could look for example to the Anders Brievik case in ordinarily peaceful Norway. Avoid conflating two things, America's gun violence rate in general and its rate from murderous lunatics. I suppose you could treat the two as indistinguishable, but I'm not sure that's convincing.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic