more advanced budo..

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: more advanced budo..

Postby Bodywork on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:35 pm

How is Johns insistence on skill vetted by rank, as an excuse to discredit opinion...any better or different than a statement of skill vetted by a couple thousand people OF rank, as a response?
I don't care about any of it. But I'll be damned if detractors get to play the rank card, and I am chastized for using the same argument as a response.
Trolling?
John went on and on about having me banned for not answering about rank while never offering any himself. I never brought it up and I could care less about his. I know his rank, his seniors and his teacher.
Of course I understand that saying multitudes of martial artists don't get high level skills is challenging to hear, but I also... put my knowledge and skills in the line, month after month in open rooms around the world. That presents its own very different and credible argument, then sitting behind a screen and being "offended" and never once showing up to defend your own counter point.
I am thus, highly credible where it counts. And any reasonable person in the arts knows what I say about lists skills is true. Budo has failed, either by intent or poor transmission to teach these skills.
Again, instead of attacking what you don't understand, why not go to one.... Just one... of the many posts I've made over the years discussing movement and respond intelligently to it. Most of the time they sit there unanswered. THAT... is why I lost interest in responding in detail. I suspect it is also why I get senior guys here writing me in PM's, and sympathizing.
I'm not your enemy. I'm no one's enemy. I don't love what the arts have become, I love what they used to be.

P.S.
No one is a convert. I'm not doing anything for someone to convert... too. That is also why people stay in their arts. Moreover, what I teach isn't mine. Therefore, I have zero ego about it. It is in several arts, some more than others and just not openly taught. That's why this work is making friends and equal relationships across so many ranks and arts.
Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:54 pm

And speaking of trolling
Why not talk about rank as an issue
Daito ryu as a koryu
Anything on topic other than... me
Bodywork

Postby mrtoes on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:47 pm

We have met Ben - I organised the Steve Morris seminar that you popped along to a few years ago. I also recommend meeting Lindon if you want an idea of what Dan teaches. He is a good guy.

Dan seems to rub you up (and others I dare say) the wrong way. He makes a lot more sense in person :D

I understand the request for online proof and demonstration, but it's just not how Dan operates. I doubt he will change, he seems pretty stubborn. Well worth checking out Chris's material to get a flavour (I subscribed to his introductory program and there's great stuff in there and some very similar exercises) but do note that despite some striking similarities there are also important differences in approach and material and it is ultimately not the same thing (neither should it be!!!)

The one thing I totally don't understand from anyone is implications that Dan's online rantings are some sort of marketing machine... His marketing sucks, period. He fills seminars to capacity but never beyond the point where he can keep quality. The prices are really reasonable for what you get. The return rate for newcomers is incredibly high. He could make way more money if that was all he cared about and he wouldn't need his brash online persona for that either. I have been to a TON of seminars with big name teachers over the years and I have seen halls filled with way more people who paid nearly twice what Dan charges who don't once get hands on with the teacher and who walk away having learnt nothing and they don't get bad press here.

I'd offer to catch up myself but I suck and anyway I'm 10000 miles away in a strange land :)

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:06 pm

When you know you know...you know, and so will everyone you touch! You know? ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Rabbit on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:43 am

Thank you both for the replies.
And the info. Appreciated

Just to be clear I have never said or thought that Dan is not a nice fellow orvthst he is not skilled. I am sure he is both. Nor have I mentioned marketing

I am guilty of veering off topic I admit, while enjoying learning about takeda
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:41 am

Yeah that bit actually wasn't aimed at you Ben, just addressing something I see repeated here quite a bit. I don't post often so I might as well say everything I have to say in one go.

Anyway I like it when Dan gets provoked, often it makes him say the most interesting things!

Good training,

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Doc Stier wrote:When you know you know...you know, and so will everyone you touch! You know? ;)

Perfect, Doc.
I say this at every seminar: "If I can go outside and get any person I find, to come in here and they feel just like you. What does that say about you?"
Even gym rats and kettle bell guys, once they touch me and I test them, and they see all their power...not helping them much to throw me... they get interested pretty fast. I really is just a different way to organize and work out the whole body.
The Asians knew what they were doing when they were wearing armor all day and both carrying and using long pole weapons. They were just distinctly uninterested in teaching foreigners. As Takeda said to Sagawa. "Your solo training is for you, don't show that to people! And NEVER to foreigners! They're too big already and it will give them too much of an advantage."

Your other point, Doc is pretty clear as well. Once you start to get this and you feel yourself changing? You know its different, and you know, you know. You don't really have to be told. Why? Because everyone else feels like you used to feel.
And I know, that you know, that you know, and I know it too! 8-)
Bodywork

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Bodywork wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:When you know you know...you know, and so will everyone you touch! You know? ;)

Perfect, Doc.
I say this at every seminar: "If I can go outside and get any person I find, to come in here and they feel just like you. What does that say about you?"
Even gym rats and kettle bell guys, once they touch me and I test them, and they see all their power...not helping them much to throw me... they get interested pretty fast. I really is just a different way to organize and work out the whole body.
The Asians knew what they were doing when they were wearing armor all day and both carrying and using long pole weapons. They were just distinctly uninterested in teaching foreigners. As Takeda said to Sagawa. "Your solo training is for you, don't show that to people! And NEVER to foreigners! They're too big already and it will give them too much of an advantage."

Your other point, Doc is pretty clear as well. Once you start to get this and you feel yourself changing? You know its different, and you know, you know. You don't really have to be told. Why? Because everyone else feels like you used to feel.
And I know, that you know, that you know, and I know it too! 8-)

Roger that! Thanks, Dan. 8-)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Rabbit on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:42 am

Thanks Toe's

That seminar was good, I could hardly move the next day - Steve is terrifying!

Dan - Sam Chin has students in my area. Is his method similar or comparable to achieving the kind movement / connectivity / power that you teach?

What are the similarities and differences, if any?
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Rabbit wrote:Thanks Toe's

That seminar was good, I could hardly move the next day - Steve is terrifying!

Dan - Sam Chin has students in my area. Is his method similar or comparable to achieving the kind movement / connectivity / power that you teach?

What are the similarities and differences, if any?

It's not up to Sam or I to compare our methods, nor our students either. You would have to know the full measure of what each can do and understand it.
I think it is far more important to decide for yourself what you want and go for it all the way.
Bodywork

Postby wiesiek on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:52 am

so
in our search for internal JMA
he is big "no no" master ?
https://youtu.be/S9wODMKiHAA
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Been There Done That