Anybody got a video of this Tai Chi developed by this Sifu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Anybody got a video of this Tai Chi developed by this Sifu

Postby Baguaplayer on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:49 pm

charles wrote:Zhang Xuexin has lived in San Francisco since about 1990. Li Enjiu has been to North America a few times to give seminars. In the two clips of Paolillo, there is zero element of either Hong's or Feng's style displayed, both of which have obvious, unique characteristics that make them immediately recognizable.

I had a conversation with this Paolillo back in 93 or 94. I also happened to be going to a Zhang Xue Xin seminar the upcoming weekend and offered to give my salutations for him to Master Zhang. His response was something like, well, please don't he wouldn't remember me or I didn't really get that much from him or something like that. The only reason I brought Zhang up to him is because he was listed prominantly on this Paolillo guys ad as one of his instructors.

That being said, doesn't mean the guy is or isn't good. I thought the first clip posted looked a lot more like bagua than taichi (Btw,Bagua was the original reason I contacted the Paolillo dude). Also, if this guy is the great grand student of the original teacher(Paolillo), well, who know's what the guy is learning. There can be a big difference in the quality of the material and teaching method going down the line that far.
Baguaplayer
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:10 pm

RE: Above comments
I am always go on what I can see of skill than what someone's lineage is. Looking at the guy in the clip, he can definitely move.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby goingthor on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:06 pm

I see that these posts are several years old, but I just wandered upon them and I would like to set the record straight. I'm a big believer in being objective as possible when describing chinese martial arts.

I studied with Frank for several years. He was my first sifu and introduced me to kung fu and taiji. I would like to address some of the questions I've seen in this thread.

First of all, to the original question. If you want the names of the postures, you need to ask Frank to teach you the traditional forms (yilu, erlu, etc). Traditional form postures are fairly well documented, but you need to look to the source in each case, i.e. where he learned them. IMO, the names of the postures are only important as a curiosity and in giving a little additional insight into the usage. However, If you're not learning the traditional forms, then you're going to have to know your stuff to be able to match the names, because he's making new sequences.

Let's get something straight. Frank's Chinese martial arts come from Chan Pui (Wah Lum). He was one of Master Chan's top students back in the day and one of the first teachers in Boston. However, for personal reasons, Frank decided not to open a Wah Lum school and instead opened his own school, promoting a new art called "Tao Style." This style is Frank's personal style.

Over the years, Frank became increasingly drawn to internal arts and added Yang, Chen, and Bagua to his list of practiced arts. But the Tao style and spontaneous, creative movement were always his overarching focus.

IMO, he is a master instructor and great martial artist. However, his Chen yilu comes from Kay-Chi Leung, erlu from Li Enjiu, and silk reeling from Zhang Xia Xin (I don't know about the Bagua). However, in each case, he learned the form in a few days (seminars or private lessons), and then converted it to his style, so IMHO these are actually Tao Style too and the movements are similar to his style and not to the principles of the lineages where he learned them.

When I was with him, it was a common case of learning CMA where you learn a ton of forms and training, but don't have real insight into usage. I understand that Frank was a good fighter back in the day, but I was an advanced student of his and received very little training of practical application with him. I had to find this through other teachers, my own research and training and teaching others.

I'm the one who posted the youtube video of him here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnhdD3b4Ro
This form is Erlu and came from Li En Jiu, however, it has been heavily modified from its original version. To me, it does not reflect the energy of the Hong lineage, and is more like kung fu energy. It's a good example of what I'm saying. Here you see agility, power and speed, but for instance there is some tossing you would not normally like to see in taiji, and I can tell that the applications he's thinking of are different than what is taught in the Hong lineage.

In summary, I have huge respect for Frank as a teacher, martial artist, athlete and person, however, what he does is his own style, which is based on Chan Pui's kung fu. Not a bad legacy actually.
goingthor
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:22 pm

That's some wild hippy shit
Saying that I like the way this guy moves
Better than most Chen I have seen
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:10 pm

Well it's certainly not Chen's Lao Jia form. It appears to be a mixture of taij and bagua.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby chud on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 pm

goingthor: he should be clear - both on his web site and in class to his students - that he is teaching his own system.
chud
Great Old One

Postby goingthor on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Replies:

@Ron Panunto: Li Enjiu's erlu is Lao Jia, he learned it from Hong Junsheng who learned from Chen Fake. It might not be Chen village "approved" but it is still Lao Jia. Anyway, that is a different discussion. Now, as I mentioned Frank changed what he learned...a lot. That is why you are seeing elements of praying mantis kung fu, other taiji and bagua in the movements of this form being called "cannon fist/erlu". IMO calling this form Chen is a bit of a stretch.

For an idea on how much he changed it, here is Li Enjiu doing Erlu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn3vMYPCBCU

@chud: Agree with you. If he is in fact teaching this version to a student (and I don't know if that is true), in the way shown in this presentation, then IMO I think it would be correct to tell them that they are learning a mix of taiji, mantis and bagua movement inside the frame of a chen form.
goingthor
Santi

Postby Greg J on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Gold star to Goingthor for resurrecting this thread after five years! It would be interesting to hear from the original poster (if he's still around) about how things worked out.

wayne hansen wrote:That's some wild hippy shit

I laughed very hard when I read this! And I too like the way he moves...

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby marvin8 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:55 am

Greg J wrote:Gold star to Goingthor for resurrecting this thread after five years! It would be interesting to hear from the original poster (if he's still around) about how things worked out.

wayne hansen wrote:That's some wild hippy shit

I laughed very hard when I read this! And I too like the way he moves...

Best,
Greg

I'll resurrect it, again. Since, I stumbled across this interview (posted relatively recently) on Frank J. Paolillo's youtube channel.

Tao Institute on Aug 19, 2018 wrote:
Sifu Frank J. Paolillo discusses a variety of topics related to internal martial arts and cultivation practice in this in-depth interview for the Balanced Warrior Podcast conducted by Red Foot in 2016. Sifu offers thoughts on morning routines, his personal journey in martial arts, what internal training is, moving from stillness, doing without doing, developing his own personal style called Tao Style, transcending the fight in internal martial arts, the importance of silk reeling spiral power qigong, and more.

Please visit http://taoinstitute.org for more information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUUbtzP5U4Q
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links