High Level Internal guys in Los angeles area?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

High Level Internal guys in Los angeles area?

Postby swaggyp.hk on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi all!

Who are some high level internal guys in the LA area? I'm in Pasadena, but I can travel around to nearby areas...Please list your top recs for chi kung, internal alchemy, tai chi, bagua , xing yi....

My ultimate goal is internal alchemy and cultivation, not really tai chi/ martial arts per say, but that would be cool too.

Thank you
swaggyp.hk
Santi

Re: High Level Internal guys in Los angeles area?

Postby 100kilos on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:19 pm

My Kung fu brother is teaching Serge Augier stuff if you're interested. His name is Steve and he is quite good. I will tell him to hit up the forum to reply to you.
100kilos
Anjing

Postby kshurika on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi and welcome to RSF.

In my humble opinion, for neijia, there is no one in Southern California more high-level than Tim Cartmell. He lived and studied intensively in Taiwan/China for almost 11 years and is deeply knowledgeable about many styles of taiji, xingyi, bagua, Xu Xi Dao and other internal methods. He also is steeped in the true (i.e. not fake) histories of those arts. Upon his return to the U.S., Tim continued his neijia practice and learned BJJ, in which he now holds a 3rd degree black belt.

Tim is best for those who want to learn martial arts to their fullest extent. Most MA teachers cannot properly teach applications because they have never fought. Tim is an exception to this norm. Also, because he is very intelligent, he is well-versed in the philosophy, psychology and the more esoteric aspects of neijia in which you have expressed interest. He has authored or translated a number of authoritative books, most of which you can find by entering his name on Amazon. You can read his (not very recent) bio on his website, shenwu.com.

Tim is out of the country currently, teaching in Europe. He'll be back the first week in April. He teaches his privates at a BJJ school in Orange County, south of L.A. (my beloved hometown). When he's in town, he hosts open-mat at the school on Saturdays, from 3:00 - 6:00. You might want to drive down to chat with him. I can't give you his phone number without his okay. He's a very personable guy and is always interested in people who are interested in martial arts. Many people drive or fly vast distances to study with Tim. Those of us who live in Southern California are lucky.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:09 am

kshurika wrote:Hi and welcome to RSF.

In my humble opinion, for neijia, there is no one in Southern California more high-level than Tim Cartmell. He lived and studied intensively in Taiwan/China for almost 11 years and is deeply knowledgeable about many styles of taiji, xingyi, bagua, Xu Xi Dao and other internal methods. He also is steeped in the true (i.e. not fake) histories of those arts. Upon his return to the U.S., Tim continued his neijia practice and learned BJJ, in which he now holds a 3rd degree black belt.

Tim is best for those who want to learn martial arts to their fullest extent. Most MA teachers cannot properly teach applications because they have never fought. Tim is an exception to this norm. Also, because he is very intelligent, he is well-versed in the philosophy, psychology and the more esoteric aspects of neijia in which you have expressed interest. He has authored or translated a number of authoritative books, most of which you can find by entering his name on Amazon. You can read his (not very recent) bio on his website, shenwu.com.

Tim is out of the country currently, teaching in Europe. He'll be back the first week in April. He teaches his privates at a BJJ school in Orange County, south of L.A. (my beloved hometown). When he's in town, he hosts open-mat at the school on Saturdays, from 3:00 - 6:00. You might want to drive down to chat with him. I can't give you his phone number without his okay. He's a very personable guy and is always interested in people who are interested in martial arts. Many people drive or fly vast distances to study with Tim. Those of us who live in Southern California are lucky.

Yep, +100000000.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby Fa Xing on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 am

I would also recommend Jason Tsou, both Tim and Jason are excellent teachers who are practical minded and can teach their arts fully. Jason Tsou teaches in a park on Saturdays in El Monte which is just east of Pasadena.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:17 pm

I've never studied with him, but Tim Cartmell without a doubt. You'd be making a huge mistake to not at least check him out.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:38 pm

greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Wuji on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Sudan is in that area, or right around it. He has multiple videos up online, some really good stuff. I don't think you'll find Sudans stuff easily outside of Ne York and Cali. I think someone teaches it up in Washington, so it's quite rare. On top of good stuff, he's also an awesome guy in general.
Wuji
Santi

Postby swaggyp.hk on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Any others?
swaggyp.hk
Santi

Postby gasmaster on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Hu yao wu in Monterrey park is about as good an internal martial artist as you'll find in la. http://www.xingyi-bagua.com

Not sure if stu charno is still in la, I think he moved.
Last edited by gasmaster on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Mr. Hu yao wu performing snake.(from his site)

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby gasmaster on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Yep, that's him. I should have said in full disclosure that he is my teacher. I mean, I figured it was pretty obvious, but just wanted to put that out there. He's a really cool guy, a strict teacher, and has an extreme depth of knowledge, with the ability to use it. It's pretty close to you in Pasadena, so I'd suggest checking out a class and see if if it's the right group for you.
Last edited by gasmaster on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:27 am

I'm going to stop by in the next few weeks. His class is 3.5 hours long, what does a typical class go through?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby gasmaster on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:43 am

Very cool bill, I hope I'm present, I'd love to put a face to the name after reading your post all these years. Generally it can depend on what he wants the days focus to be on. Generally though class starts with warm ups and some jibengong. Then we might do some form work bagua or xingyi. He might split off to teach spear work to people who have them. He might go off on teaching applications. Hes got a lot of knowledge and gets very excited to show people. Classes structure is fairly loose though. Hope this helps.
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby CheapBastid on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:00 pm

My ultimate goal is internal alchemy and cultivation

I'd have recommended Emil Rechester (who studied with Mark Rasmus), but he moved to Las Vegas a while ago.

For high-level, I've met and would echo Tim Cartmell (out of town as stated) and Sudan Jeffers (who's in NY but should be back in town in the next few months), along with the accomplished Jonathan Wang.

For Shanghai Wu (in the Ma Yueliang, 馬岳樑 lineage) you might visit Temple City Park and see about Yan Yuanhua's Yi Based push hands approach.

If you're up for a drive there's a monthly push hands meetup in Orange County that has some interesting characters.
Last edited by CheapBastid on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CheapBastid
Mingjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan