Qi Creation

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Qi Creation

Postby willie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Appledog wrote:
willie wrote:I decided to break up your statements and answer them separately.

Then why didn't you answer them?

I post a video of Richard Feynman and Trick asks if it is the dark side of the force.

I ask you a question and you ignore it, and give me the answer to a different unrelated question.

"I decided" -- Ahh, so why ask the question in the first place, if you already know the answer?

"Sure there are dozen's of people's opinions. I have found that those opinions vary to such a degree that most couldn't be correct, As they
contradict each other. Much like religion's."

Suit yourself, live in that world if you want to. I think of it like a test.

I'm not sure why you're getting so upset? I take all this with a grain of salt. This is lala land my friend. It's the net dude. I find that things go much smoother in person and that usually most people are much nicer than they appear. Have a nice day
willie

Postby willie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Oh and appledog feel free to add your input anytime you wish. Thank you
Last edited by willie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby willie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Dmitri wrote:Discussions of "qi" are like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you're gonna get, especially since the box has been kicked around mercilessly, alternately frozen-and-boiled repeatedly, and exposed to all frequencies of powerful EM radiation, various bio hazards and contamination with strong industrial chemicals for many, many years. If you dare open it, whatever you get is at your own risk. And putting that in one's mouth is a whole 'nother level of "risky"... :-X

This thread reads like it was meant for a religious forum. :)

Now that was good that was my first laugh all day. Thank you. Although all those things may be true. It hasn't been subjected to the disastrous effects of Obamacare, made to sit through a Hillary speech, and most of all it, has not been trampled on by an angry herd of stampeding elephants.
Last edited by willie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Appledog on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here.

Therefore my first response, many years ago, was editing all my old posts to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I did not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.

After some time I realized it was probably a technical limitation, and if not, that my protests over many years were in vain. Therefore I no longer have the illusion of control that someday I may be able to delete my posts. Instead, my massive ego has fooled myself into the illusion of control that I can enforce a sunset clause (expiry date) on my posts by editing them.

Hopefully someday I can get over myself and shed my massive ego and reach zen enlightenment, but it seems today is not that day. For this, I apologize.

And if someday you still feel sore about it.. I will be waiting.
Last edited by Appledog on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Apple Dog, no I did not kick the question down the road. If you would like to answer the question in a direct way, well then just answer it. if you've noticed you are the only one who did not attempt to answer the question directly. I'm just not into games or riddles. thank you
Last edited by willie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Appledog wrote:
willie wrote:I decided to break up your statements and answer them separately.

Then why didn't you answer them?

I post a video of Richard Feynman and Trick asks if it is the dark side of the force.

I ask you a question and you ignore it, and give me the answer to a different unrelated question.

"I decided" -- Ahh, so why ask the question in the first place, if you already know the answer?

"Sure there are dozen's of people's opinions. I have found that those opinions vary to such a degree that most couldn't be correct, As they
contradict each other. Much like religion's."

Suit yourself, live in that world if you want to. I think of it like a test.

Trick asked if you and you're answer or whatever it was is spawned from the dark side of the force 8-)
Trick

Postby amor on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 am

willie wrote:

Do you mean the time that you tried to tell me that people who are athletes or those who lift weights could never have no skill in taiji?
appledog I have spent a lot of time and money on these arts, and I'm sure that a good percentage of the other board members have as well.
No one is getting paid, It's all about being part of a community, that is your pay.

And Lastly
not a question, the answer.
internal power...
Helical gears, created by Yi, powered by dantian rotation.

what does this even mean Helical gears created by yi ( I think I can guess what dantien rotation means) ... I vaguely recall you stating this previously but you haven't explained what you mean by it. Can you please explain what it means?
amor
Wuji

Postby zhenwu on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:32 am

Question? .. If you look at the bird, you will see it..
If you "look" at chi, you will feel it. But.. Do you create, or just feel the chi??
zhenwu
Santi

Postby everything on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 am

you somewhat do 'tune in'.

you learn to "gather" and sink qi. after you get that, you try to 'store' it. if you can 'store' it, you feel "more"
qi flowing, so in some sense you "created" this increased qi flow. but not really.

I say "more" because I don't think anyone can measure it from a data collection and quantification point of view. From a subjective experience point of view, most (many? some?) on the board will have experienced all of that, though.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:06 pm

everything wrote:you somewhat do 'tune in'.

you learn to "gather" and sink qi. after you get that, you try to 'store' it. if you can 'store' it, you feel "more"
qi flowing, so in some sense you "created" this increased qi flow. but not really.

I say "more" because I don't think anyone can measure it from a data collection and quantification point of view. From a subjective experience point of view, most (many? some?) on the board will have experienced all of that, though.

Nice Post man., I absolutely agree. yes you have to tune in. No one will ever know how much Chi that you have gathered. But there will be a few that are at least on your level or beyond your level who will be able to see
willie

Postby willie on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:12 pm

zhenwu wrote:Question? .. If you look at the bird, you will see it..
If you "look" at chi, you will feel it. But.. Do you create, or just feel the chi??

I think that the proper word is gather.
Last edited by willie on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby willie on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 pm

amor wrote:
what does this even mean Helical gears created by yi ( I think I can guess what dantien rotation means) ... I vaguely recall you stating this previously but you haven't explained what you mean by it. Can you please explain what it means?

it's a level of integration which is necessary to power the drilling or boring requirements of Tai Chi
willie

Postby charles on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 am

willie wrote:
amor wrote:what does this even mean Helical gears created by yi...

it's a level of integration which is necessary to power the drilling or boring requirements of Tai Chi

I wanted to let Willie respond to your question before saying anything. Here's what I was taught.

A basic principle of Taijiquan is whole-body motion, often stated as "When one part moves, all parts move". (In Chen style, some say, "When the dan tian moves all parts move".) To illustrate that principle, people have compared the use of the body in Taijiquan to mechanical devices that demonstrate similar behaviour. One such device is a gear train.

In a gear train, there is one gear that drives the other gears. When the driving gear turns, all of the gears in the gear train must turn: it isn't possible that any gear does not move. There is [little] "slack" between gears as all of the gears in the train are engaged. Given that it is metaphorical, it doesn't really matter what type of gears are being used, spur, helical, rack and pinion ... So, the idea is that the parts of the body move, one "rubbing" on the other, with [little] slack between parts, driven by one part. There are other subtleties, such as different size gears (motions), different speeds of rotation and different directions of rotation, but that's the central idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_i3PJIYtuY

A mechanical device that behaves similarly is the "race" of balls in a ball bearing, where one ball in contact with the next rubs against and turns so that when one ball in the race turns, all of the balls turn. Feng Zhiqiang, for example, assembled his "18 ball" silk reeling set of exercises using that metaphor. (The 18 balls are the primary joints of the body, as he counted them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DDfdZFJ-7s

The concept is simple enough; achieving it is less so. In Chen style, silk reeling is, if well taught, the explicit method for doing so: one part rotating (twisting) causes the next to rotate.
Last edited by charles on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 am

charles wrote:
I wanted to let Willie respond to your question before saying anything. Here's what I was taught.

A basic principle of Taijiquan is whole-body motion, often stated as "When one part moves, all parts move". (In Chen style, some say, "When the dan tian moves all parts move".) To illustrate that principle, people have compared the use of the body in Taijiquan to mechanical devices that demonstrate similar behaviour. One such device is a gear train.

In a gear train, there is one gear that drives the other gears. When the driving gear turns, all of the gears in the gear train must turn: it isn't possible that any gear does not move. There is no "slack" between gears as all of the gears in the train are engaged. Given that it is metaphorical, it doesn't really matter what type of gears are being used, spur, helical, rack and pinion ... So, the idea is that the parts of the body move, one "rubbing" on the other, without slack between parts, driven by one part. There are other subtleties, such as different size gears (motions), different speeds of rotation and different directions of rotation, but that's the central idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_i3PJIYtuY

The concept is simple enough; achieving it is less so. In Chen style, silk reeling is, if well taught, the explicit method for doing so: one part rotating (twisting) causes the next to rotate.

That just aint true

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24085&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=backlash&start=90#p405092
Last edited by BruceP on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby charles on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:45 am

BruceP wrote:That just aint true.

Fair enough.

I don't think the fact that rotating systems have backlash diminishes the metaphor in any meaningful way. It should be clear that humans are not gears or ball bearings.
charles
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan