Wim Hof Method

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Wim Hof Method

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:28 am

Anyone tried this? I've been hearing good things, but not sure it's worth the cash. Been doing cold showers more or less daily since my 20s, and yeah they are great, but I am also hearing a lot of perhaps over exaggerated claims, in terms of recovery, immune system etc.

Would be great to hear some experiences?
Last edited by MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Re: Wim Hof Method

Postby RobP3 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 am

I'm sure it's all good stuff but what I have seen reminds me a bit of Portal. Material repackaged and priced up.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks Rob! Perhaps you can recommend something analogues, sans the marketing?
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby middleway on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 am

i have looked at it and did a stint of cold exposure stuff, I had done a few other methods previously but for me this was more useful. it helped me with some depression issues i have carried throughout my life. Its useful IMO and benefits are well documented and teted by the scientific comminity now which many other similar practices are not.

There is nothing new under the sun though, Cold water + breathing can be found all over the world.

When i got the Ap it was completely free.

I believe his son is now in charge of the marketing and promotion by the likes of joe rogan and tim ferris pushed him to create some courses. For sure nothing wrong with spreading knowledge that has helped so many people for a bit of cash IMO.

Thanks Rob! Perhaps you can recommend something analogues, sans the marketing?

Rob is well versed in the Russian versions of dousing and breath work. You can find similar practices in Japanese Misogi work too.
Last edited by middleway on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:24 am

Tried the Russian method, kept me clear of flu for a couple of years. Am looking into WH method, book does not describe breathing method too well
KEND
Great Old One

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:26 am

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

My main interest is more for speeding up recovery, I go through stints of a lot of travel, flights, etc., and now that I'm getting a bit older, the recovery time and lack of sleep often leave me in a less than optimal state, not an issue if I'm at home and sleeping, eating my own food, but on the road it's a real hindrance and leaves me feeling like garbage more often than not.

A friend suggested TRT, but I don't think that's the issue, I'm fine as along as I can control sleep and food.
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby RobP3 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:36 am

MistyMonkeyMethod wrote:Interesting, thanks for sharing!

My main interest is more for speeding up recovery, I go through stints of a lot of travel, flights, etc., and now that I'm getting a bit older, the recovery time and lack of sleep often leave me in a less than optimal state, not an issue if I'm at home and sleeping, eating my own food, but on the road it's a real hindrance and leaves me feeling like garbage more often than not.

A friend suggested TRT, but I don't think that's the issue, I'm fine as along as I can control sleep and food.

You would do well to start with the Vasiliev material - the Let Every Breath book, then there are some films on breathwork too. The work is very simple and presented in a straightforward way. I think in modern marketing terms that means it gets overlooked for something more "snazzy". But it is powerful stuff. A friend is teaching SpecOps guys this method, plus many of his colleagues with PTSD.
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks Rob! I'll look in to it!
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 am

If a Russian bathhouse, called a banya, is anywhere near you many of these have a cold water pool next to the saunas.

The one in mine is set to 7degrees centigrade or 42 degrees Fahrenheit. It is convenient for summertime practice or when the local lakes and rivers are too warm.

Overall I find Wim’s work to be a very well put together approach to the adaptation-recovery cycle as far as the circulatory and temperature management systems in the body are concerned.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:48 am

OK thanks! Perhaps I better try both and see what works for me.

Unfortunately, my work is mostly in temperate climates, even the cold water is often luke warm.. :(
Last edited by MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby RobP3 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:53 am

Peacedog wrote:If a Russian bathhouse, called a banya, is anywhere near you many of these have a cold water pool next to the saunas.

The one in mine is set to 7degrees centigrade or 42 degrees Fahrenheit. It is convenient for summertime practice or when the local lakes and rivers are too warm.

+1 to that, both the sauna and the pool!
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:26 pm

If you use the bathtub full of ice method make sure you have a safety/spotter with you.

It is really easy to go from freezing cold to warm to passed out and dead when going hypothermic.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Seems that there are two Wim Hof courses, an original one and a fundamentals one. I guess I will go for the latter. Also, order the book you mentioned Rob, read some reviews, looks good.

Now, hopefully, one of these will also help with jetlag, but it is nice to see the sun rising. :)
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Read somewhere a long time ago that the body produce more white blood cells if exposed to "prolonged" coldness. My father had a friend that in the summertime he would daily dip himself in ice cold water in his bathtub and in the winters do the sauna then icy sea dip, that guy passed away at 96 years of age living with good healt up till then. I often think about this and try from time to time to take cold showers, but damn it's not easy.
Trick

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:44 am

Came across this while researching this topic.

https://news.stanford.edu/2012/08/29/co ... ch-082912/

Pretty interesting stuff.
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Next

Return to Off the Topic