Wow- Yang taiji

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Wow- Yang taiji

Postby Rhen on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Something strange happened the other day, I was asking an expert why Yang Zhendou (3rd son of Yang Chenfu and former head of Yang Family) chose his grandson Yang Jun as the head of Yang Family association and why it skipped a generation and not an older person 5th generation not chosen. It was said that Yang Zhendou did not have an heir with his first wife as they were separated during Cultural Revolution and that he had re-married to his second wife who had child already and that Yang Jun was her grandson. So that means that Yang Jun, is not even a blood relative of Yang, just legal or adopted relative. It was said that the rightful heir is some guy born to one of the other sons (either Yang Zhenjie or Yang Zhenguo) who is pretty big and robust, but has only training in Taijiquan for a few years.

While bloodline does not guarantee skill, (as time, hard work, and effort DOES aka kung fu) this says a lot.

http://yangfamilytaichi.com/yang/tree/
Last edited by Rhen on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhen

Re: Wow- Yang family

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Bloodline has never guaranteed skill. The reason that skill sometimes does seem to get passed down in families in CMA is that in order to get good you need to be taught the 'secrets' openly, be supervised by someone to make sure you don't go wrong, and put in loads of effort yourself. Traditionally, Chinese teachers taught unreservedly to their own family members but were very guarded with their teachings to outsiders. Unfortunately, that mindset is still very prevalent, even nowadays.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Yang family has many well known relatives:
Fu Zhong Wen
Tian Zhaolin
Zhao Yubin
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 pm

yeniseri wrote:Yang family has many well known relatives:
Fu Zhong Wen
Tian Zhaolin
Zhao Yubin

Fu Zhong Wen married in to the family so his grand son ought to be a "rightful" heir...As I understand Tian Zhaolin was adopted in to the Yang family?....Zhao Yubin I don't know about......To the OP, interesting info.......I have com to understand that in China after YCF's death it was agreed on that Li Yaxuan would be the head representative of YTJQ, after his passing I don't know if the common agreement was that on any of YCF sons would be the sole head of YTJQ? ...As I understand FZW and his brother's teachings are quite strong in the Handan area.
Trick

Postby Rhen on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:37 am

Trick wrote:
yeniseri wrote:Yang family has many well known relatives:
Fu Zhong Wen
Tian Zhaolin
Zhao Yubin

Fu Zhong Wen married in to the family so his grand son ought to be a "rightful" heir...As I understand Tian Zhaolin was adopted in to the Yang family?....Zhao Yubin I don't know about......To the OP, interesting info.......I have com to understand that in China after YCF's death it was agreed on that Li Yaxuan would be the head representative of YTJQ, after his passing I don't know if the common agreement was that on any of YCF sons would be the sole head of YTJQ? ...As I understand FZW and his brother's teachings are quite strong in the Handan area.

So I've heard that the person who is with a Master when he passes gets the final transmission and is the "yuan". for example Yang Chenfu was the Yuan of Yang Jianhou. Fu Zhongwen was the Yuan of Yang Chenfu, Fu shengyuan was the Yuan of Fu zhongwen, etc. etc.

Also you can find who is a true disciples of Yang family are by who got the teachings the Yang saber. Saber was not taught to everyone, just the closest disciples.
Cheng Man Ching did not teach the Saber form.
Rhen

Re: Wow- Yang taiji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:27 am

The broadsword has always been a part of the Malaysian CMC tradition as was the pole and spear.
So many of CMC,s students taught parts that Cheng felt he could delete in later years
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Miro on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 am

I do not know if it is true, but I have heard that true head of Yang Family Taijiquan is Yang Zhenji, the oldest son of Yang Chengfu (after deceased Yang Shouzhong). Yang Zhenduo just made head of family by himself because of business and that the relationship of those two brothers is damaged because of that... Again, please, I do not know if it is true.
Last edited by Miro on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
We have entered a voyeuristic, or "phanic," era where esoteric ideas and methods are only unveiled and put within reach of everyone because they no longer have any chance of being understood. (Mircea Eliade)
Miro
Great Old One

Postby Rhen on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 pm

wayne hansen wrote:The broadsword has always been a part of the Malaysian CMC tradition as was the pole and spear.
So many of CMC,s students taught parts that Cheng felt he could delete in later years

The CMC guys I know who do saber and spear got it from elsewhere like Mainland China cause they felt the CMC system was incomplete. And guess what? those saber and spear forms look l far off versions. Very different from what the current Yang Saber forms coming from YCF's top students look like.

As for Yang Zhenjie, the story I heard was that Yang Zhenjie never renounced his older brother Yang Shouzhong who fled to Hong Kong in 1949. Zhendou was head because he did and became part of the wushu association. Yang zhenjie had to live in a small house and do factory work most his life but still trained hard what he learned from Yang Shouzhong under those conditions.
Rhen

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Miro wrote:I do not know if it is true, but I have heard that true head of Yang Family Taijiquan is Yang Zhenji, the oldest son of Yang Chengfu (after deceased Yang Shouzhong). Yang Zhenduo just made head of family by himself because of business and that the relationship of those two brothers is damaged because of that... Again, please, I do not know if it is true.

Hi Miro, the PRC chose Yang Zhenduo to be the representative of Yang style in the 80s, when the "standardized" reference works for the various orthodox styles were published. YZD looked more like YCF, so they used him in the books. Maybe Leroy or Louis would know whether the "family" was asked who would represent the style. I tend to doubt that they were asked. Anyway, iirc, Yang Zhenji passed away in 2007.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:33 pm

The CMC yang style broadsword was well established in Penang in 1973
That was before access to the mainland
It is the exact same sequence to the one now done in the yang family
However it is much more fluid and circular
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Rhen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:58 am

Last edited by Rhen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhen

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 pm

I hope that first clip is not meant to be an example of Malaysian CMC saber
It is sort of the same sequence but not done very well
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

I just looked at the first guy Julian Chu doing what he calls the CMC Jian
It does not follow the CMC sequence but the traditional yang sequence