Fish tank tai chi

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Fish tank tai chi

Postby .Q. on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:29 pm

:o
.Q.
Wuji

Re: Fish tank tai chi

Postby Dmitri on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:19 pm

At my first school one of the (very few) things we were told was to imagine balancing a book on the head when doing the form. I remember actually trying that at some point... certainly not easy.

However, later (in the other school) I've learned that it was a really bad idea for proper tai chi work, for a variety of reasons, primarily your intent being in the wrong (i.e. useless) place all the time. Kind of like when they train the form specifically for a forms competition, focusing on all the wrong details.

Looks neat though!
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 pm

She moves nicely but I think there is some form of trickery there
My student Geoff was training in Taiwan in the early eighties with Master Sung
It was raining one day and not enough for all the students to train under shelter
So Master Sung took a drinking glass full of water put it on his head and did the entire 37 step
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Dmitri wrote:At my first school one of the (very few) things we were told was to imagine balancing a book on the head when doing the form. I remember actually trying that at some point... certainly not easy.

However, later (in the other school) I've learned that it was a really bad idea for proper tai chi work, for a variety of reasons, primarily your intent being in the wrong (i.e. useless) place all the time. Kind of like when they train the form specifically for a forms competition, focusing on all the wrong details.

Looks neat though!

I have never participated in or witnessed any CMA tournament, but I actually thought that the (forms)participants in those tournaments follow the more or less correct teachingas as good as they can according to their personal physical/athletic level?
Trick

Postby Trick on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:01 pm

I do agree balancing something on the head while form practicing teach/show just that one is good at balancing something on the head. Although it would be really impressive if one could do it without break for a couple of rounds of boxing:)
Trick

Postby windwalker on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Dmitri wrote:At my first school one of the (very few) things we were told was to imagine balancing a book on the head when doing the form. I remember actually trying that at some point... certainly not easy.

Looks neat though!

If ones intent is in the wrong place doing this, what would holding bricks do to it as some advocate doing while playing the form.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 am

It's not that good if you can't make the fish swim in alignment... ;)
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:23 am

Actually, if you watch it in close up, you would see that in the end of each posture, he makes the fish bounce backwards hitting the walls of bowl.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:30 pm

bwahaha ;D
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic