Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg sweep

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg sweep

Postby Steve James on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 am

I believe it's a mistake to reduce anything as large as an entire taijiquan posture to one idea.

There's a saying: "Never let the guy who says it can't be done stop the guy who's doing it."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 am

I use applications as the imagination part of form practice. As I move I visualize what is happening to the opponent. I've got a handful of "standard" application ideas and some nonstandard that I work with and they are all fine. if I find something in real life I usually bring it back and work it in somehow.

But in regards the up and down, when you do your golden rooster form, are you saying that your hand travels in a direct path straight down? That seems very awkward to me and creates a lot of tension in the tricep. It's much more natural to me for the hand to move in an arc. That arc forward is the push, the leg wrapping and dropping is the pull. It works.

Reaching for what exactly? Conversation. Considering the different ways the split energy can manifest in the variations of this sweep. Cultivating a deeper understanding of movement and the art I study. That's all.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 am

It appears as though a response was deleted. :/
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 am

yea sorry..

like I said if the techniques - whatever they are - are working for you, then it's not really important in my eyes what you choose to connect them to and how.
In the form, for me, there are clear things that you can do with each limb or the torso, according to how they move and how they take shape.

The better tools for the job (technique highlighted in the OP) are right there within the next posture movement - whatever way round your RM form is. The components parts needed exist in both versions. Changing around which hands pull or push IMO is an acceptable variation - a principle that can apply all through the form with various tools. "No fixed technique".

Why reach for things that aren't really there (and serve a better purpose in rooster as they are), when you don't actually have to.

Rooster transitions from snake creeps down. My forward hand can parry or pull down as my rear hand comes up together with the rear leg. There is no push/strike in a forward trajectory to help the opponent over the sweep in the opposing direction. In the transition to execute the opposite side rooster the hands simply swap places in an up to down trajectory - more or less.

Again I have to use the clip for reference of what we're discussing. If you have some other type of takedown in mind then I need some clip for reference to give an opinion on that as it might or might not relate to rooster.
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links