Facebook group: Dumb ass martial arts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Facebook group: Dumb ass martial arts

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:25 am

Don't worry - I know exactly what Facebook is there for. LIke I know exactly what beer is for. I'm not giving up beer. Both have their dangers and uses to me.

Facebook is essentially, "bad". So is beer (or weed, or, whatever), but if you have enough self-discipline then you can use both.

Edit: If you want to talk about it in addictive terms, or dumbing down of society terms - I fail to see a difference between Facebook and RSF, and you still post here?
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 am

LOL!

Right because RSF is selling my and family's info and algorithms as we post what we are eating for lunch to buy a house in Orinda or Palo Alto.

Sorry mate, no comparison. I pick and choose what I read and debate here no one is trying to influence or sell me anything.

As I recall you wanted to move to Scotland because of Brexit. You do realize that faceboom was instrumental in flipping that vote, don't you?

Yet some still use it.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 am

If RSF were selling our info and or algorithms from surveys and posts and through data mining then I wouldn't be here.

Brexit was just the beginning, because Brexit worked out so well it is being used for propaganda on people all around the world.

https://youtu.be/dmOlX0KbT4A

10 years ago Joe Rogan used to talk about imagining if Google used their powers for evil. Guess what? We are now there.

Facebook was smart how they did it. They started out as new and improved classmates.com and slowly but surely they stomped out their competition, won the public's trust and decided to cash in on everything they could knowing that one day their empire will come to an end. Can we blame them? Probably not.

But I am certainly not going join in the scam and continue to make money for them. Like it or not each and every time you log in you are essentially a facebook employee making money for them.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:26 am

It is true that "they" know a lot about you, but have you ever tried using it from the other side (as a Facebook/Instagram customer)? It's about as good as you might expect. Let's say I want to offer whatever service. You can get very specific with your targeting, like:

- 30-50 year olds interested in martial arts
- located near Los Angeles.
- likes TV shows a, b, c.
- whatever.

As a (fictitious) small business advertiser I don't want to target anyone else because it's just a waste of time and money. If you happen to see my ad, at least you're likely in some kind of interest group (in the aggregate) so you might get a reasonably "interesting" ad, rather than, let's say, yet another GEICO ad.

But if we're talking about "Big Brother" surveillance, I don't really know. My FB activity and feed is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly boring. Friends/family's pics of super mundane stuff. Middle-aged people like food, babies, kids, pets, hobbies, travel. So boring. I think FB is in negative growth because people have gotten too bored. Young people right now seem to like Instagram (still owned by FB) and Snapchat (who over age 20 understands that). Slack is a really interesting "social network" though, at least for business-related things.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Greg, you’re sounding a bit hysterical - maybe try a bit of offline time?

I’m well aware that Facebook is run by people trying to make money, thanks.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:39 pm

GrahamB wrote:Greg, you’re sounding a bit hysterical - maybe try a bit of offline time?

I’m well aware that Facebook is run by people trying to make money, thanks.

When you question religion are you angry? To me facebook ia the new religion.

I am relaxed even without the Stoic forum any longer in my life. You are confusing facts with anger and hysteria. The fact is you are all getting screwed over by facebook with the fantasy that it is all free.

Good for you for being happy with your sitaution. So you are willing to leave your country but not facebook? That is the world we are living in.

I believe you know this stuff. I have known about it for years because my wife is an engineer but didn't take it seriously until it became an instrument of propaganda and not to mention all the other horrible things happening to teens and young people in that toilet.

Do as you wish G. I am not really addressing you as much as anyone willing to listen. I stand up for what i believe in and will always stand up to facebook.

I and many others, especially in China, cancelled our yahoo accounts once yahoo turned in Chinese activists and look at Yahoo today. Perhaps when facebook starts doing the same once China lets them back in more and more people will wake up.

You may and probably won't be one of them but the fact is if just a few people shut down their accounts then as Everything says it will be so boring that facebook will go myspace and I am looking forward to that day and will smoke fat blunt and enjoy a glass wine knowing I may have helped in some way to expose some bullshit that most people never consider.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Anyway thanks for the lively discussion. If the language offends you then I should remind you that I am basically a lorry driver. So...

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:31 pm

ads targeting you: that isn't really facebook, it's all business. we all want to reach our relevant audience. but it's not fb, it's all the major ad networks know all your behavior if you're logged into google, fb, etc.

if it's "big brother" especially in certain countries, no idea. would like to hear more. how can everything just happen on wechat.

The problem of idiots being manipulated and that being an actual threat to democracy and elections?
this one is the most shocking to me right now.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:09 pm

There is not a single method of communication that has not been abused. It's not as if a new medium will be invented that won't have the same issues. However, the individual's participation in or response to the issue is purely a personal decision. Personally, I don't get upset either way. I'm sure that they're using my information to target me with ads and news. But, I don't pay attention. To me, Facebook is like Facetime, just a way to communicate with friends and family.

What I hate most, though, are appeals for me to share "If you believe in Jesus" or "support our first responders." I just don't, whether I agree or not.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm

the ads don't really personally bother me, either. plus I use an ad blocker so I stay blissfully ignorant.

the societal problem. not so sure.
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:36 am

I don't use Google either. Both companies have priced many people out of the bay area who have lived here for decades. Don't expect it to bother others but it does bother me.

Another reason fb is a waste of life is if you like something you are essentially unliking everything else. So a long distant friend's posts won't appear on your feed unless you keep liking them. What a waste of life and time.

I don't use fb because my time it too valuable.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 am

grzegorz wrote:I don't use Google either. Both companies have priced many people out of the bay area who have lived here for decades. Don't expect it to bothers but it does bother me.

Another reason fb is a waste of life is if you like something you are essentially unliking everything else. So a long friend's posts won't appear on your feed unless you keep liking them. What a waste of life and time.

I don't use fb because my time it too valuable.

I find your post to be both depressing and motivating. I don't use FB much, mostly for the reasons you said. However, I am heavily using Google and Amazon. I don't like what happened with the Bay Area real estate (looking at it from afar and only having minor, minor versions of it). I think in the bigger picture the general issue of the rich getting richer is intertwined with this issue. For me, we all want this automation that "AI" gives us (sitting around watching netflix), but it temporarily makes the automaters rich. It really just makes the wealthy people rich (money makes money much faster than labor makes money). Some of us are way down the ladder but "on the take" in some sense. I don't really know what to do about that, or what if anything can be done.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 am

What makes Facebook commercial is the fact that it gives an individual to instantly share his thoughts with everyone he's connected to. The desire to do so means that a large network is created that can then be mined for data that encourages advertising, etc. The problem has always been how to monetize the internet, and selling stuff has been the answer.

To me, however, the negative part is how people use FB to promote dissension. The internet has always been a place where there'll always be someone to piss on sunshine. Nowadays, it seems that FB is used as a way to make sure no one can agree on anything.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:27 pm

Forums are fun for talking trash, which I take great pleasure in, I have norhing against G or anyone else who likes or even loves FB.

I also think that perhaps it is more of a mirror than anything else. Just as CNN has become more interested in opinion, click bait, decisive topics and people getting slammed for their views over reporting headline news (following FOX's model) perhaps facebook is just giving the public what the public wants while pleasing its shareholders I personally think as internal martial artists and meditators that it is good to question and raise questions about the addiction that is social media.

We are well aware that FB aims at giving us an endorphin rush so we keep checking our phones. The question is at what costs? What I find most interesting is that even though I am not in FB I still get updates on family and friends from other family and friends because they check facebook. I believe we have lost that personal connection although perhaps FB isn't the only cause of this I do believe it has pushed things even further.

As someone who believes in mindfulness I think FB is just anotber distraction that is filling our lives
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Steve James wrote:What makes Facebook commercial is the fact that it gives an individual to instantly share his thoughts with everyone he's connected to. The desire to do so means that a large network is created that can then be mined for data that encourages advertising, etc. The problem has always been how to monetize the internet, and selling stuff has been the answer.

To me, however, the negative part is how people use FB to promote dissension. The internet has always been a place where there'll always be someone to piss on sunshine. Nowadays, it seems that FB is used as a way to make sure no one can agree on anything.

Yes, I agree. Again as someone who talks trash out of humor. To me a heated discussion is a fun debate between friends having beers. Saying that FB thrives on our divisions. I have seen many a heated argument promoted to the top of feeds as soon as certain words are used and a back and forth begins. You can even experiement for yourself. Find a topic everyone agrees on, start a war and suddenly it will viewed by thousands. The fact is that which offends gets the most views.
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links