Facebook group: Dumb ass martial arts

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Facebook group: Dumb ass martial arts

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:07 am

Something we see more and more of is the police using social media to make arrests in essentially victimless "crimes."

Here 10 foreigners are facing a year in jail for dancing in Cambodia with the police using social media photos as evidence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cambodia-cha ... 56328.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:27 am

The idea of Buddhism as a "science for happiness" and the focus on sati, or mindfulness that has come directly out of that is really just a watered down and McDonaldization of traditional practices that completely miss the point. No, more than that, they completely invert the goals of early Buddhist practices and traditions. So, it just seems silly that someone who thinks he is so much better than everyone because he is not a slave to Facebook should tout such things.

From the minds of mediocrity: those who are so far behind in the race that they think they are ahead.

I wasn't going to bother responding at all, but then I had two friends and colleagues have a very constructive and heartwarming exchange of ideas and sources on my page today and it really highlighted what I pointed out earlier but which clearly went over Greg's head.

Facebook is what you make of it. It probably is really bad for some people. For others, it is without a doubt very useful. It goes without saying that this is completely separate from the problems of privacy which are real, but also probably more problematic for people such as the ones arrested in Cambodia--or course, they are living in another country with complete cultural insensitivity and will likely get away with a slap on the wrist.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 am

there are some individual issues, sure. the social, societal, surveillance, legal, political issues are bigger than that (almost by definition).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:00 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:The idea of Buddhism as a "science for happiness" and the focus on sati, or mindfulness that has come directly out of that is really just a watered down and McDonaldization of traditional practices that completely miss the point. No, more than that, they completely invert the goals of early Buddhist practices and traditions. So, it just seems silly that someone who thinks he is so much better than everyone because he is not a slave to Facebook should tout such things.

From the minds of mediocrity: those who are so far behind in the race that they think they are ahead.

I wasn't going to bother responding at all, but then I had two friends and colleagues have a very constructive and heartwarming exchange of ideas and sources on my page today and it really highlighted what I pointed out earlier but which clearly went over Greg's head.

Facebook is what you make of it. It probably is really bad for some people. For others, it is without a doubt very useful. It goes without saying that this is completely separate from the problems of privacy which are real, but also probably more problematic for people such as the ones arrested in Cambodia--or course, they are living in another country with complete cultural insensitivity and will likely get away with a slap on the wrist.

McDonaldization? Over Greg's head? I love it.

So what year did you first spend in a zen monastery? For me it was 25 years ago when I spent month doing nothing but zazan and sitting. What zen training were you doing? Since you are an expert on all things Zen?

I know Ian, you have some strange obsessions with me because somehow we have managed to move in the same martial art circles and I have invited you to meet up but it never happened so don't pretend you know me because you don't.

Good for you feeling soft warm fuzzy feelings through facebook.

I think you are missing the point. Humankind in all its existence has somehow managed to live together and stay in touch with each other long before the invention of facebook some 12 or 15 years ago without people selling your personal information, tracking you go online and using your every like to classify in one of 28 types of people.

The fact that people get offeneded and try to personally attack me tells me that they don't want deal with the truth. You don't have to deal with the truth but I am still going to speak about it. Much like a union shop steward, it is a dirty job but someone has to do it.

Yes, blame the foreigners for not knowing they can a year in jail for dirty dancing while spending a few days in South East Asia.

Have a nice day.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 am

everything wrote:there are some individual issues, sure. the social, societal, surveillance, legal, political issues are bigger than that (almost by definition).

And despite some stranger throwing my ideas of mindfulness under the bus the fact is as a UPS driver I see people everywhere always staring down at their phones wherever I go. Being present here and now is not only important behind the wheel. I have been to many parties and children's play areas only to find people separating themselves siitting alone, living online and staring down at their screens.

In fact I decided to completely close my account when on a lunch break two parents were sitting on facebook instead of engaging their five year old kid while waiting for their food. I have done it, we all do it but I choose to lessen it instead of getting warm fuzzy feeling from friends and family I have all over the globe. Sure there are times I miss it (like any addiction) but books and actually engaging with who is right in front of me is much more interesting and the fact that I don't have to concern myself with a bunch of information which doesn't concern me (such as what a colleague ate for lunch) is freedom.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm

So as UIs become screen-less (aka voice), does AI-Elmo count as screen time?

What are we doing to our children? Ourselves? I don't think anyone really knows, do they? But interested to read what RSF people say.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:05 pm

I notice that even with google that if I search for something like pomegranates for example or write an email about them. Pomegranate banners will appear on my screens. I prefer duckduckgo.

Seems to me that all these tools are used to marketing purposes which is no surprise and I don't use them. I have a microphone for my Nexus or Google TV remote which I don't use. Some say it can still be accessed even when I don't use it which would not surprise me. I use the remote just not the mic.

In this sense although I dislike it I can see where defenders of social media are coming from even though I strongly disagree. But now that it is for fake news and political propaganda (among other things) I do have issues with it.

Speaking of McDonald's, the have it your way facebook news feed which is how most Americans now get their news (even though supposedly they never wanted to be in this situation) I believe is why we have a break down in trying to communicate with someone with different politics because we are getting completely different news feeds.

Just look at this Canadian couple who were shot and survived in the Las Vegas massacre only to receive death threats through social media.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3591391

“You are a lying piece of s--- and I hope someone truly shoots you in the head,” one person wrote to Matejka on Facebook in the days after the worst shooting in modern U.S. history.

Yet, I like your thinking Everything. If they use your information from these devices and your internet footprint for "marketing purposes" then it should go without saying that they can this information for anything. Looking at that way all this should have been predicted long ago. I think what was wasn't predicted was how easily the public would go along with everything. I hear even Zuckerburg was shocked how easily people are willing to give up their personal info online.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:28 pm

It's not so much advertisers that bother me. Trying to sell me something is kind of the least "evil", especially since we all need to buy/sell.

What if some hacker gets your info?

They can steal your identity, open credit cards, etc.

To prevent that there is more we have to do, since even without social media, we can get our devices hacked and even if we don't use devices, companies like Equifax can get hacked.

Social media safety is part of that though.

One interesting link:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ntity-safe
Last edited by everything on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm

P.S. if you work for UPS you are kinda on the payroll of all this.

Amazon is the fifth biggest advertiser without really even trying.

They have one massive advantage.

Actual sales data. 44% of all ecommerce in USA.

Yikes.
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 pm

grzegorz wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:The idea of Buddhism as a "science for happiness" and the focus on sati, or mindfulness that has come directly out of that is really just a watered down and McDonaldization of traditional practices that completely miss the point. No, more than that, they completely invert the goals of early Buddhist practices and traditions. So, it just seems silly that someone who thinks he is so much better than everyone because he is not a slave to Facebook should tout such things.

McDonaldization? Over Greg's head? I love it.

So what year did you first spend in a zen monastery? For me it was 25 years ago when I spent month doing nothing but zazan and sitting. What zen training were you doing? Since you are an expert on all things Zen?

I know Ian, you have some strange obsessions with me because somehow we have managed to move in the same martial art circles and I have invited you to meet up but it never happened so don't pretend you know me because you don't.

Good for you feeling soft warm fuzzy feelings through facebook.

I think you are missing the point. Humankind in all its existence has somehow managed to live together and stay in touch with each other long before the invention of facebook some 12 or 15 years ago without people selling your personal information, tracking you go online and using your every like to classify in one of 28 types of people.

The fact that people get offeneded and try to personally attack me tells me that they don't want deal with the truth. You don't have to deal with the truth but I am still going to speak about it. Much like a union shop steward, it is a dirty job but someone has to do it.

Yes, blame the foreigners for not knowing they can a year in jail for dirty dancing while spending a few days in South East Asia.

Have a nice day.

so far behind in the race that they think they are ahead.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:41 am

grzegorz wrote:So what year did you first spend in a zen monastery? For me it was 25 years ago when I spent month doing nothing but zazan and sitting. What zen training were you doing? Since you are an expert on all things Zen?

There are many ways to come to a balanced mind, perhaps martial arts is one of them? When zen was mentioned I wikied it and followed some words, Zen-Dhyana-Equanimity,""evenness of mind, neither elated nor depressed." In Christian philosophy virtues of gentleness, contentment, temperance, and charity.". I agree that non virtue seem to have a lead over virtue on the Internet maybe that's what makes the net interesting 8-)
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 am

grzegorz wrote:"in a zen monastery? For me it was 25 years ago when I spent month doing nothing but zazan and sitting"......"Yes, blame the foreigners for not knowing they can a year in jail for dirty dancing while spending a few days in South East Asia.

Not that I think you would have had to do jail time, but if you did "dirty dancing" in that monastery wouldn't you been thrown out then?....Here is probably another problem with the Internet many people probably spend too much on it with an attitude of "I do and say whatever and do not have to face consequences" then somewhat confuse that reality with the real reality, Maybe those foreigners are such people so could be blamed for not being careful of what reality they where in.
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 pm

Trick wrote:
grzegorz wrote:"in a zen monastery? For me it was 25 years ago when I spent month doing nothing but zazan and sitting"......"Yes, blame the foreigners for not knowing they can a year in jail for dirty dancing while spending a few days in South East Asia.

Not that I think you would have had to do jail time, but if you did "dirty dancing" in that monastery wouldn't you been thrown out then?....

No.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm

so far behind in the race that they think they are ahead.

I love seeing how emotionally attached some are to FB.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:34 pm

everything wrote:P.S. if you work for UPS you are kinda on the payroll of all this.

Amazon is the fifth biggest advertiser without really even trying.

They have one massive advantage.

Actual sales data. 44% of all ecommerce in USA.

Yikes.

I agree.

But UPS has been around for over 100 years or so. Even without Amazon we will and would still be around. I would not he surprised if they decided to buy out UPS but more than likely they would proabably by FedEx Express because it is non-union although I don't believe it is necessary.

Amazon is building centers an hour apart and contracting their own drivers of course it is a flat rate of about $15 an hour for 10 hours but once you are done you done.

Although we still have Amazon packages on our trucks eventually once they expand enough they probably won't use us expect at times of high volume and for heavy weight and large packages.

As a UPS employee Amazon is a threat even though they put money in our pockets they are cutting into the package industry and paying some of the lowest wages amd not giving any benefits.

Once when I was laid off I went to an interview for an Amazon delivery driver and there were no vacations, no benefits and the contractor offered an expensive healthcare package. Your van said Amazon and uniform said Amazon but you were not an actual employee of Amazon.All of this is the exact opposite of a UPS driver which can make enough in money and benefits to support a whole family and have a good pension. Often spouses of UPS drivers do not work so they can raise the kids which would be impossible as an Amazon driver.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links