XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Let’s see the smooth Pi johnnie boy ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 pm

...or gongli eats "technique" or "understanding" for lunch
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:24 pm

johnwang wrote:
Wanderingdragon wrote:Any time that I believe I have something correct to speak of, I will always give visual demonstration to invite observation and critique.

What if people have done it wrong for generations.

The XingYi Heng Chuan is another example. When my teacher was still alive, he kept telling people that the big fist eye of the Heng Chuan should point upward instead of to point side way.

The Yang Taiji double pulling is another example. He should have 1 palm facing up and another palm facing down.

Interesting! I have never seen hengquan with the "eye" pointing up, but perhaps it was practiced that way in the past, etc.

Double pulling (lu?) is often practiced with 1 palm up and 1 palm down in Wu style taiji - which comes from Yang style; perhaps the current way (both palms down) is a later development, or a certain frame.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Pi Chuan vs. Rhino Guard: Which technique wins?

johnwang wrote:
Ba-men wrote:- everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face.

This is why all your "plan" will require that your opponent cannot punch you in the face.

If your

- right hand can control your opponent's left arm,
- left hand can control his right arm,

you will be safe from your opponent punch when you enter.

If you use "rhino guard", you may still get punched on your body, but it's very difficult for your -opponent to punch on your face. That will be another good "plan" too.
johnwang wrote:
Ba-men wrote:And as u stated trapping is difficult when the opponent is moving...

If your opponent can move back faster than your advance, none of your technique will work on him. When your opponent jumps into you, you jump into him at the same time,

your opponent's right hand punches at your face, your left arm extend between his right arm and his head, your left arm will make contact on your opponent's right arm. Unless your opponent pulls his punch back half way, you will always get a successful "trapping" (or clinch if you prefer to use a different word).

When your arm makes contact with your opponent's arm, if you pull your arm back, you will lose that "trapping". If you move forward, you will enhance that "trapping". The question is what will you do with it. If you have no use for that "trapping", there is no reason for you to obtain it. One reason you may want to obtain a trapping is to get into a full clinch.

marvin8
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 am

marvin8 wrote:Pi Chuan vs. Rhino Guard: Which technique wins?

;D ;D i just think this line of thinking is as funny as feck, but dun mind me please continue ;D ;D
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 am

i would like to see Pi Chuan by the author of this thread before I can debate the efficacy of its use. I am still not convinced that all it takes is repitition to develop technique to a level of practical understanding.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby AJG on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Repetition is one of the keys to success in most physical pursuits. Of course you may not get all 1000 perfectly right, the first time it may be only the first 100, the second time the first 200 and so.
Most people in general are afraid of hard work, and it shows when it counts.
AJG
Anjing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:12 pm

If the first one you learn is improper , 1,000,000 repetitions will not make it correct
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby AJG on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:34 pm

The Pi Chuan you thought you learned correctly turned out to be incorrect once your long continuous practice showed otherwise.

The body learns from doing. The teacher provides guidance only. You need to find your own way.
AJG
Anjing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 am

Teacher provides guidance .if you teach yourself as some believe they can do you have no guidance, the prodigies are few, to non-existant. Wang Xiangzhai evolved his art , bruce lee only created shortcuts. There is a substance to tradition. If one does not know it, it should be something one would pass off as knowledge.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Just finished my 1000 Pi about 1 hour ago. It took me 43 minutes. I don't have a personal clip yet. I'll share my clip when I make one. The only difference between what I do and what the guy did in the following clip is when I pull back my Pi, my leading leg is pulling back and off the ground. I then step in after that. I did my way for the following reasons:

I can

- coordinate my hand with my foot (idea from XingYi 6 harmony).
- move my leading foot from my opponent's front door and step into his side door, or the other way around (idea from long fist).
- use my body weight to pull (idea from SC).
- train how to pull my leading leg back when my opponent shoots toward my leading leg (idea from SC).

IMO, something that can belong to you only when you have put your personal understand into it. Otherwise, that move still belong to your teacher and not belong to you yet.

My old XingYi form.

Last edited by johnwang on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 am

johnwang wrote:Just finished my 1000 Pi about 1 hour ago. It took me 43 minutes. I don't have a personal clip yet. I'll share my clip when I make one. The only difference between what I do and what the guy did in the following clip is when I pull back my Pi, my leading leg is pulling back and off the ground. I then step in after that. I did my way for the following reasons:

I can

- coordinate my hand with my foot (idea from XingYi 6 harmony).
- move my leading foot from my opponent's front door and step into his side door, or the other way around (idea from long fist).
- use my body weight to pull (idea from SC).
- train how to pull my leading leg back when my opponent shoots toward my leading leg (idea from SC).

IMO, something that can belong to you only when you have put your personal understand into it. Otherwise, that move still belong to your teacher and not belong to you yet.

A lot of these sound similar to how one of my grand-teachers does his piquan, too!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 am

Look forward to the clip. :)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am

This is a vid that is a little old now, but I learned how to Pi Quan from Tim with pulling the foot back.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby Fa Xing on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 am

Here is a series about the various Shanxi branches, if you go to about 29 minutes into the video it will different versions of Pi Quan.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan