Shooting of the Week

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shooting of the Week

Postby klonk on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:04 pm

I renew my hat in hand appeal for nut control.

When we had state hospitals for the obviously deranged we had a layer of protection. But then those hospitals were thought inhumane (and some of them were pretty shabby and rank). Rather than improving the hospitals we let the inmates run free, with new and improved sanity pills.

Basically, we did not want to pay what mental health care costs.

Today it is nearly impossible to commit someone long term. With the near-elimination of nuthouses, we now have nowhere to put them.
Last edited by klonk on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:11 pm

So how many of the recent alt-right killers had exhibited enough behaviors to be committed?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm

oragami_itto wrote:So how many of the recent alt-right killers had exhibited enough behaviors to be committed?

That would appear a non-sequitur. The standards for long commitment are party neutral and apply to very nearly nobody.

If you are referring to that Norwegian, I doubt even he had a clear grasp of his political thinking.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 pm

I was talking with a retired cop (to do him every benefit of the doubt, he is 75 years old, retired, and still carries his gun under the grandfather rule).

"If only I'd been there, Kenny. Damn. If I'd got at him with my .38 you would hear aye no more about this than you hear about the Navy Patunxet business with the Russians in seventy-four."

"What? I never heard about that."

"Exactly."
klonk
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 pm

klonk wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:So how many of the recent alt-right killers had exhibited enough behaviors to be committed?

That would appear a non-sequitur. The standards for long commitment are party neutral and apply to very nearly nobody.

If you are referring to that Norwegian, I doubt even he had a clear grasp of his political thinking.

There have been dozens of attacks by right wing terrorists in the united states in the past few years. None of them exhibited behavior worth committing them. There has been, to my knowledge, only one attack in recent memory by an ostensibly left wing perpetrator and that was levied directly against right wing politicians, not random innocent civilians. Personally, if we're going to have mass shootings, I prefer the targets be congressmen.

I really don't feel like dragging up THE LIST, but I will.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:29 pm

While it is to be applauded when conservatives recognize how terrible it was for Reagan and the Republicans to throw the severely mentally ill out on the streets, I'm not sure what that has to do with mass shootings. Mental illness is certainly not the primary or constant factor (as has been pointed out).

Clearly, other countries have problems with mental illness, yet no other country has anything resembling our mass shooting problem. There is only one constant.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:While it is to be applauded when conservatives recognize how terrible it was for Reagan and the Republicans to throw the severely mentally ill out on the streets, I'm not sure what that has to do with mass shootings. Mental illness is certainly not the primary or constant factor (as has been pointed out).

Clearly, other countries have problems with mental illness, yet no other country has anything resembling our mass shooting problem. There is only one constant.

Actually, the heave-ho onto the streets predates Reagan. Nice try.

If you are looking for a constant, it is insanity of a particular, homicidal kind. Google Anders Brevik Norway
for a foreign example.

For a while, I kept tabs on events of the kind and noticed a similarity. It goes beyond nationality and race.

http://shootery.blogspot.com/2014/05/ma ... -eyes.html
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:49 am

:) Yeah, just look at their eyes.

Yes, there are mentally ill everywhere. There are homicidal maniacs everywhere. But, you have to Google to find the last mass murder anywhere but the US and a war zone. It is definitely a national problem.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 am

Steve James wrote::) Yeah, just look at their eyes.

Yes, there are mentally ill everywhere. There are homicidal maniacs everywhere. But, you have to Google to find the last mass murder anywhere but the US and a war zone. It is definitely a national problem.

You need to google it because you read the American newspaper that gets thrown at the puppy each morning.

I have a joke about news reporting. In this timorous age, I should be politically correct and say this joke was told to me by a rabbi. That way I do not sound racist.

A Jew is riding the bus. He is reading an Arab newspaper.

Someone reading over his shoulder says, "Why are you, a Jew, reading the Arab press?"

"When I read the Jewish paper, Jews are being murdered and oppressed. We are dwindling as a race because of secularism and intermarriage.

"But in this paper, Jews control the press and Hollywood. We own all the banks. We are going to take over the world. This news is much better."
Last edited by klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 am

There were extensive discussions about Brevik here when it happened. He belongs to the grievance society that feels Jews and Muslims are taking over Europe. So, he set off a bomb in Oslo, and then went to a youth retreat and shot 70 "liberal" Norwegians. He's a murderer, but not insane.
Last edited by Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 am

He's a murderer, but not insane.

Look at the eyes, Steve. I have seen that look in real life. If that is not crazy, what is? How is it sane to kill children?

The occasion was that I had been sworn and called for jury duty, but I was a little bit late. Coming up the stairs was a man in an orange jumpsuit with shackles that fastened his hands to a fat leather belt. He had a cop linked arm in arm on each side. His feet were handcuffed (footcuffed?) with just enough chain to manage the stairs.

On that day I redoubled my unarmed practice, for in the courthouse you leave any weaponry at the door. Dude scared me. I did not sit on his trial, I drew a drug bust trial instead, but even that he was chained and shackled, I felt the hate.
Last edited by klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 am

Uyghurs in China. Any news on that front? Terrorist activity has either lessened or been underreported.

Ah. I see. When a Chinaman does not want to say anything, the sure sign is he does not say anything.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:29 am

Insane is when a person doesn't know what he is doing, or can't tell the difference between right and wrong. Brevik [damn autocorrect] is as insane as Dylan Roof or Adolph H. Iinm, Stalin said something about the difference between killing one and killing millions.

Anyway, I'd say that an insane person is as much a danger to himself as to others. I think a suicide bomber is more insane than the guys here who try to escape, or who give up and explain their reasons.

I agree that murderers are mentally disturbed. I think racists and anti-Semites who kill for their beliefs are mentally disturbed. That covers Brevik, Roof, and others, no matter what their eyes looked like. That doesn't mean they were insane.
Last edited by Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 am

That doesn't mean they were insane.

Wear it. It now becomes your burden to show that mass killers are rational choice makers. Lots of luck.
klonk
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic