Shooting of the Week

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shooting of the Week

Postby klonk on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 am

God wrote:Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:21 am

I have too many Norwegian friends not to wear it. But, as usual, in fact:

A Norwegian court has found that mass killer Anders Behring Breivik is sane and sentenced him to 21 years in jail.

Breivik, who admitted killing 77 people when he bombed central Oslo and then opened fire at an island youth camp, told the court he would not appeal.

He insisted he was sane and refused to plead guilty, saying last year's attacks were necessary to stop the "Islamisation" of Norway.

Prosecutors had called for him to be considered insane.
Breivik was convicted of terrorism and premeditated murder, and given the maximum sentence of 21 years' imprisonment.
However, that can be prolonged at a later date if he is deemed to remain a danger to society.

Delivering the verdict, Judge Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen said that the court considered Breivik to be suffering from "narcissistic personality characteristics" but not psychosis.

She imposed a sentence of "preventive detention", a special prison term for criminals considered dangerous to society.

She set the minimum length of imprisonment to 10 years.

Afterwards Breivik said he did not recognise the court, which he contended had "sided with the multicultural majority in parliament", but said he would not appeal as this would legitimise the proceedings.

Prosecutors - who had argued the defendant was insane - also said they would not challenge the verdict.

Some of the survivors and relatives of his victims welcomed the verdict and the end of the trial.

Now, afa narcissistic personality disorder ... ahem ... nuff said. Google the characteristics. Ok, time saver https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20366662
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

The Uyghurs are being interred in massive numbers, hundreds of thousands at a time in re-education camps to cure their Islamity the way that Buddhists were cured in Tibet. Same PRC dude who whipped the Himalayas into shape is in charge of Xinjiang. Lots of technological surveillance involved as well. Don't think it's going to play out quite the same, but the mass knifings don't make it into the mass media all the time. Guangzhou has had its share, underreported as they may be.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am

Chris Rock makes a terrible joke when he says that "If a guy with a knife can kill 100 people, then 97 people probably deserve to die." A better way to put it would be that the only way mass murderers succeed is if people do nothing.

Afa Uyghurs and other oppressed groups, we know about them as is published in the news. However, if anyone suggests giving aid to those groups, he'll be labeled as a soft-hearted liberal.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am

I used to think the sanction against Cuba were ridiculously cruel. Why does the hammer and sickle get play while the swasticka is pure evil? Both are wrong.

There is no "profit" to aiding those groups. Their oppression is the result of massive social trends that pre-date Mao. If Western corporations, who know full well the situation in the PRC, the tens of millions murdered, still do business here because no one has come up with a reason why not that will satisfy stock holders, then it's a problem the West can't solve yet, just like Marxism.

The end game is clear: move the factories to a place where the govt is not hindered by shit like rights, then transition those factories to robots. Voila! It's happening.

Oh, look, Elon Musk is shooting some shit into space. Wow.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Hmm, was it smart to undo Obama's order to include "mental illness" as a category in background checks?
http://fortune.com/2018/02/15/trump-sho ... l-illness/
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Steve James wrote:Hmm, was it smart to undo Obama's order to include "mental illness" as a category in background checks?
http://fortune.com/2018/02/15/trump-sho ... l-illness/

The groups most affected seemed to be the ones asking for the roll back.

To be clear, the rule had opponents. It wasn’t just the NRA that wanted the rule rolled back.

Disability rights groups also objected to the bill. The American Civil Liberties Union joined the protest and in a letter to members of Congress, urged for its repeal. “We oppose this rule because it advances and reinforces the harmful stereotype that people with mental disabilities, a vast and diverse group of citizens, are violent,” the letter says. “There is no data to support a connection between the need for a representative payee to manage one’s Social Security disability benefits and a propensity toward gun violence.”
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:44 pm

The same argument can be used for Muslims. But, that's not why even people on the no-fly list aren't prohibited from buying AR-15s and similar type weapons. Not sure that you really agree with their argument, but the people with "mental illnesses" are right. They rarely go on school shooting sprees. Not even the insane do that.

Mental illness is the current excuse for something that is much harder to explain. It can't be just mental illness. Too many other countries with people who have far greater issues to confront. The only difference is the access to weapons of mass killing.

It's also true that we may have no way to cure mental illnesses. The first reason is that the illness may be chemical or biologically based, so drugs may work. But, many people with mental illnesses don't think they have them, or they don't like the effects of the drugs. Very few of them will commit murders, one way or the other. The second reason, and the one that goes back to horror shows like Willowbrook, is that it's a mental "Health" issue, and there's no way to separate the two. We also put people on the street who are physically ill, too. It's a money (or profit) issue, and fixing mental health isn't going to be cheap. That's if this particular form of American disease can be treated at all.

Still, I don't think Trump changed the law out of concern for the mentally ill. There's no increase in funding for the issue in his budget, not even as much as for his parade.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 pm

I thought the point was those it affected didn't like the law and so wrote to their representatives to have it changed. Trump signed it.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:34 pm

"The only difference is the access to weapons of mass killing. "

Care to name some of those Weapons of Mass killing
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

I thought the point was those it affected didn't like the law

Didn't like? Obviously, people who are affected by laws may want to have them changed. But, laws are created for several reasons; one of them is deterrence. There's a law that an individual can't drive a tank on the highway. It's not just because people don't like tanks. It's because it's not safe for everyone. Do ya think that tank owners might want that changed? I bet some might. But, should the law be changed because some people want to drive their tanks? Rhetorical question. I don't think so.

Still, the people who represent the "mentally ill" are arguing that the law is unfair or treats them unfairly. I agree, in principle, with that. It's unfair because "mental illness" covers too broad a spectrum. Yet, even if it's unfair, if a guy says he wants to blow his or his mates' heads off, it makes sense to keep guns out of his hands. If he says he wants to shoot up a school, it makes sense to investigate. Even though, nine times out of ten, he might not mean it.

I know teens who like to cut themselves. It's not a suicide attempt, but it's scary enough that I wouldn't mind if they were prohibited from buying a firearm.

"If" a law would have prevented or discouraged Cruz from buying a firearm, it might have saved some lives. It is absolutely true that any gun restriction will affect gun owners more than non-owners. Any restrictions on AR-style weapons will be damned by most AR owners. Since that style is now America's gun, I doubt that much will happen to curtail their misuse. Hey, everybody knows that AR-s are great for killing hogs. No doubt. They do very well on people too.

There is one guy on the internet who destroyed his AR in order to make a point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQX3RsAXN88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQX3RsAXN88
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:46 pm

ya I guess he has a point...this guy has a point also.
The kid had issues,,,The FBI did not follow its own protocol

The kid could have used any thing to act out.......it happened to be a rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSvbjLZoUfM&t=313s
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:52 pm

Do you agree with him? On what point? Did you listen? Or, is he just another point of view among many?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 am

There is one guy on the internet who destroyed his AR in order to make a point.

Steve James wrote:Do you agree with him? On what point? Did you listen? Or, is he just another point of view among many?

Did you ? do agree with the clip you posted, did you listen ? no comment other then it was one guy on the internet.

Not into Mr Weaver's religion, but do agree with his main point about taking care of ones own kids
the what, who, and why certain values should be taught.

The kid had issues and was out of control long before this.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 am

Did you ? do agree with the clip you posted, did you listen ?

I think I've already said in this thread that I don't think anyone's right to own a gun is worth a child's life. I didn't say that I'd saw my AK in half 'cause I don't have one.

but do agree with his main point about taking care of ones own kids
\

Um, his "main" point concerned why kids were bypassing malls and other places to shoot up their schools. He talked about why counselling didn't work. Yep, then he got into his religious pov. Home is where values need to be taught.

But, in fact, several of the latest mass shootings took place at concerts, in clubs, malls, movie theaters, and churches. Even so, the question "why schools" is valid. Schools are where kids get bullied, etc.

Anyway, I agree with the guy in the video I posted; there will always be madmen. And, every criminal or mass murderer was a law-abiding citizen until he commits a crime or a mass murder. As I said, it's inevitable that people who haven't committed murder will be restricted --unless we wait until after the fact. For ex., does Cruz still have the right to bear arms? Did he lose it when he started shooting? Did he give it up when he wrote about shooting up a school? Or, if he writes that he wants to start a violent revolution?
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic