centre organisation in aikido self defence

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

centre organisation in aikido self defence

Postby emptycloud on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:25 pm

emptycloud

Re: centre organisation in aikido self defence

Postby Interloper on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:44 pm

What he is doing isn't "internal," but rather a coordinated use of external movement and timing. Open-close (kai-hei) of the hips to rotate around his vertical access, in rapid synchrony with his partner's attacking movements.

An internal version of this would be to first make a "Yin"/"In" absorbing of the attacker's force, in and down to the ground, which would draw the attacker in and uproot him; then, kai-hei to take him off line and lead into a take-down, throw, or whatever. Or, to use the "Yang"/"Yo" to repel the attacker's force, which would propel the attacker away (and, if desired, downward) and break his structure backward, then collapse him to the ground, or use kai-hei to offline him first, etc. There are a bunch of variations on this theme, and there are many more options when you have an internal methodology.

If his students knew how to absorb or repel incoming force, their bodies would not break/curve backward or stagger backward on impact. They instead would remain unmoved, channeling the incoming force to the ground like a "lightning rod." But they will learn the "external" response of timing the opening/closing of their hips, rotating around their vertical axis, and remaining relaxed, and that should work just fine for them, too.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:25 pm

External Aikido or internal Aikido, either works just fine :) ....Well I know there is the Ki-Aikido group but otherwise I didn't know Aikido was divided into external vs internal, just understood it as one develop "skill" along the practice
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:25 am

If this teacher wants to teach self-defence, he should teach his students to not just stand there passively having their arms hanging dow to the sides when there's an imminent threat against them. External or internal doesn't matter when you are going to get killed regardless what. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 am

Yes i agree, standing there fumbling about whether to use "internal lightning rod power" or external "good sense of timing" won't work ..
Trick

Postby Interloper on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:10 am

Trick wrote:Yes i agree, standing there fumbling about whether to use "internal lightning rod power" or external "good sense of timing" won't work ..

I agree, too. They are not conditioned martially... which is often the case in aikido (though not across the board, as there are aikido systems such as that of Steven Seagal, that are combative). It's possible that they are being "cooperative" for their sensei so he can demonstrate his techniques, but from the way they carry themselves, it seems more that they are not trained for a martial response. I wonder whether this is a seminar and that these students are not his regular ones?
Last edited by Interloper on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby G. Matthew Webb on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 am

From viewing some of the other videos that he has uploaded, I would say that they are his regular students.
G. Matthew Webb
Anjing

Postby Bhassler on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Nice find. This is one of the better self defense videos I've seen from a martial artist.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:30 am

emptycloud

Return to Video Links