Yang Zhaopeng

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yang Zhaopeng

Postby Shinobi on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:20 pm

I recently found a couple of photos of Yang Zhaopeng (good looking man!), son of Yang Banhou. Is there much known about him on here? Who was mostly responsible for his training? Was he a known fighter like his father and grandfather? It'd be good to know more about him; I like reading about the first three generations of the Yang family.

Another name I was wondering about is Yang Zhensheng, son of Yang Shaohou, although unlike Zhaopeng I'm not even sure he was involved in Tai Chi at all.
Shinobi
Santi

Re: Yang Zhaopeng

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Could you add a link to the photos
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Shinobi on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:09 pm

https://sites.google.com/a/ottawakungfu ... ntDialog=1

He's the one below his father on the image of all 6 Yangs
Shinobi
Santi

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Have not come across much information about them except for a section in an article written by Zhao Youbin (son of Zhao Bin, who was YCF's disciple and also his grand-nephew). In the article Zhao mentions that both Yang Zhaopeng and Yang Zhensheng learned their family's taijiquan. Although Zhaopeng was Banhou's son, he actually learned his taiji from Yang Chengfu, as by the time Zhaopeng was born Banhou had passed away (died at the age of 55).

In Zhensheng's case he learnt both from YSH but also from his uncle YCF. The Zhao Youbin article mentions that both Zhaopeng and Zhensheng followed YCF when he moved south to teach in the Shanghai / Zhejiang area. Zhaopeng later was introduced to a teaching job in Guangxi province.

The article also mentions that Zhensheng smoked opium (as did YSH), and was introduced by a friend into a job teaching in Kunming (Yunnan province). Recent efforts by the Yang family to renew contacts with more distant branches has shown that Zhensheng has many descendants still living in Yunnan, but none of them practice taiji unfortunately.

See link to the original chinese article here: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_cd1d0ae601018xpb.html

IMHO people looking for 'old' Yang style should concentrate on the Tian Zhaolin / Ye Dami lineages, which have preserved a much more comprehensive training syllabus than 'modern' Yang style.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Ozguorui on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 pm

"IMHO people looking for 'old' Yang style should concentrate on the Tian Zhaolin / Ye Dami lineages, which have preserved a much more comprehensive training syllabus than 'modern' Yang style."

Or....they could just learn Chen
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby Shinobi on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks for the information. So the year given for Zhaopeng's birth (1872) must be incorrect if his father had passed away before his birth? I did wonder why Zhaopeng had learned from Chengfu if he was 11 years older than Chengfu and had access to Banhou, Jianhou and even his older cousin Shaohou!

It's unfortunate that none of Zhensheng's descendants practice Taiji. I didn't know Shaohou was also an opium smoker although I'd read on here that he committed suicide. Perhaps Banhou did the same! Seems like Jianhou had the best life, dying older than any of them (and a good death if the story is true) and living with a better temperament!

I'll look into Tian Zhaolin and Ye Dami lineages. I hadn't heard of Ye Dami but I had heard of Tian Zhaolin and the red lanterns story when he was dying in hospital.
Shinobi
Santi

Postby Yuen-Ming on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Yes, Yang Zhaopeng learned mainly from YCF and his line is very much gone.
Yang Zhengsheng also did not really learn much, if anything, and did not really teach since he was sent to Yunnan early where he passed away also quite young. I think some of his descendants went back to Yongnian and are now learning the family arts there.

Most of the sources that refer to these gentlemen as experts in the arts do that very much out of a traditional form of respect.

YM
Last edited by Yuen-Ming on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:03 pm

nicklinjm wrote:IMHO people looking for 'old' Yang style should concentrate on the Tian Zhaolin / Ye Dami lineages, which have preserved a much more comprehensive training syllabus than 'modern' Yang style.

I read somewhere that Zheng Manqing initially learned from Ye Dami but later was introduced to study with Yang Chengfu ?
Trick

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:01 am

Trick wrote:
nicklinjm wrote:IMHO people looking for 'old' Yang style should concentrate on the Tian Zhaolin / Ye Dami lineages, which have preserved a much more comprehensive training syllabus than 'modern' Yang style.

I read somewhere that Zheng Manqing initially learned from Ye Dami but later was introduced to study with Yang Chengfu ?

Zheng studied first with Ye Dami and his training partner Xiao Zhongbo and was later introduced to YCF by his teacher Liu Yongchen (student of YCF). So probably Zheng was originally introduced to the Jianhou/Shaohou tradition before he went on studying with YCF.

Edit:

You have a long thread about this subject with good sources in the Yang Family Discussion board: http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/phpBB3/ ... ?f=1&t=183
Last edited by Bao on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:15 am

Shinobi wrote:I recently found a couple of photos of Yang Zhaopeng (good looking man!), son of Yang Banhou. Is there much known about him on here? Who was mostly responsible for his training? Was he a known fighter like his father and grandfather? It'd be good to know more about him; I like reading about the first three generations of the Yang family.

Another name I was wondering about is Yang Zhensheng, son of Yang Shaohou, although unlike Zhaopeng I'm not even sure he was involved in Tai Chi at all.

The Banhou lineage seems to have been passed on to students in his hometown and the remaining lineage was passed on via his student Li Wancheng and ultimately reached this guy, Jia Anshu, who is supposedly the only one who has the original complete system:

Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:

Zheng studied first with Ye Dami and his training partner Xiao Zhongbo and was later introduced to YCF by his teacher Liu Yongchen (student of YCF). So probably Zheng was originally introduced to the Jianhou/Shaohou tradition before he went on studying with YCF.

Edit:

You have a long thread about this subject with good sources in the Yang Family Discussion board: http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/phpBB3/ ... ?f=1&t=183

Thanks for that link, interesting it says that Tian Zhaolin too was a disciple of YCF.
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:34 am

[quote="Bao"]
The Banhou lineage seems to have been passed on to students in his hometown and the remaining lineage was passed on via his student Li Wancheng and ultimately reached this guy, Jia Anshu, who is supposedly the only one who has the original complete system:
I have this " hunch" that the YCF linage(s) is as original and complete as I gets and I don't mean that I a bad way
Trick

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:54 am

Trick wrote:Thanks for that link, interesting it says that Tian Zhaolin too was a disciple of YCF.

Tian was publicly a well known guy as he had won fights and a prestigious competition. He studied with Jianhou and Shaohou for many, many years and only briefly with YCF. He continued as a student of YCF, but his position in the organisation was probably more a matter of branding. YCF wanted that name.

(Don't take it too seriously though, just my speculation ... ;D )

I have this " hunch" that the YCF linage(s) is as original and complete as I gets and I don't mean that I a bad way

I have never seen the very low ("large") frame, small frame or "lift leg" frame from any direct YCF lineage. Well, he might have been all too fat for the "below the table" frame... :/ (In fact, he became too fat to perform "reach for the needle at the see bottom", which is the very reason that many YCF style practitioners never reach their hands below the knee in this posture as they see photos of YCF's posture.)

The Yang family today focus almost only on the YCF tradition and seems mostly to be concerned about continuing to popularise Tai Chi. Most of what is taught as YCF Tai Chi seems to me rather shallow and simplistic compared to a lot of other Tai Chi traditions.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:25 am

Bao wrote:

I have never seen the very low ("large") frame, small frame or "lift leg" frame from any direct YCF lineage. Well, he might have been all too fat for the "below the table" frame... :/ (In fact, he became too fat to perform "reach for the needle at the see bottom", which is the very reason that many YCF style practitioners never reach their hands below the knee in this posture as they see photos of YCF's posture.)

The Yang family today focus almost only on the YCF tradition and seems mostly to be concerned about continuing to popularise Tai Chi. Most of what is taught as YCF Tai Chi seems to me rather shallow and simplistic compared to a lot of other Tai Chi traditions.

One of my Taiji teachers here in China sometime goes throu the postures in that "under the table" manner, he studied some with Yang Zhenji but primary he learned in the Li Yaxuan's tradition but I don't know if he learned the "low" frame from them or if he just "experimenting" on his own....however he's thin as a Kuaizi the very opposite "frame"of YCF 8-) .......About that link to the Yang family Taiji forum, what I felt stuck out is how it seem to somewhat highlight that ZMQ received oral instructions from YCF(which of course is an important aspect in any tradition) So an overweighted YCF could of course transmit the full curriculum of Yang taijiquan
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:47 am

Since Yang Lu Chan learned from Chen Chanxing, isn't the "original and complete" style, actually, Chen style?

Whats the point of arguing over the crumbs spilled from the table? ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan