Matt Polly interview. American Shaolin

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Matt Polly interview. American Shaolin

Postby GrahamB on Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 pm

http://tma4mma.com/shaolin-sanda-mma-matt-polly/

Interesting stuff.

"As I mentioned in American Shaolin, the idea of chī kǔ (吃苦 ), eating bitterness, is central to the Chinese understanding of learning martial arts, and the value of suffering. And the way in which that contrasts with the western idea of trying to avoid pain in any way. We have an entire society built around the idea of alleviation of pain. We have an opioid crisis because we’re trying to avoid all sorts of pain. I admire progress and evolution in the way mixed martial artists do, but I have a nostalgia and sentimentality for tradition and the way that old man practised the same form for 60 years. There’s something beautiful about that and a sadness in seeing that wiped away as MMA goes like a bulldozer through the traditional kung fu and karate world."

Review of American Shaolin:

"Feeling insecure about his manliness, the book's author decided to drop out of school and go and train Shaolin Kungfu at the Shaolin Temple in China. After arriving in China he did not know where the Shaolin Temple was, asking the locals, they gave him conflicting statements, including it no longer exists, he turns out it had been destroyed but was now rebuilt and he managed to find it. After doing traditional Shaolin for three months he switched to Sanda (Chinese kickboxing) because they seemed to be much better at fighting.

If you are looking for Kungfu stuff, there is a explanation of how Iron Body (body toughening)techniques such as Iron Forearms and Iron Crotch are done along with some basic Sanda theory. Some Iron Body techniques can cause deformitys, Iron Fist causes oversized hands, Iron Spear Hand results in all fingers been crushed to the length of the pinky and all the Iron Head practitioners had knots on their head and spoke with stutters. Amazon has restrictions on what can be said in reviews so all I will say about Iron Crotch is that it sounds very painful to practice!

The book claims that the two finger handstand some monks can perform is only possible for teenagers, adults have greater bone and muscle density making them too heavy for two fingers to support.

A lot of the book is about Chinese culture, the current economic changes and what it is like to be a white man there in the 90's.

I found this book is be a fun and informative read."
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Matt Polly interview. American Shaolin

Postby windwalker on Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 pm

GrahamB wrote:http://tma4mma.com/shaolin-sanda-mma-matt-polly/

Interesting stuff.

"As I mentioned in American Shaolin, the idea of chī kǔ (吃苦 ), eating bitterness, is central to the Chinese understanding of learning martial arts, and the value of suffering. And the way in which that contrasts with the western idea of trying to avoid pain in any way. Has he trained in any western marital disciplines, military, mma, boxing ect I think he would come to understand what eating bitterness means. We have an entire society built around the idea of alleviation of pain. We have an opioid crisis because we’re trying to avoid all sorts of pain. I admire progress and evolution in the way mixed martial artists do, but I have a nostalgia and sentimentality for tradition and the way that old man practised the same form for 60 years. There’s something beautiful about that and a sadness in seeing that wiped away as MMA goes like a bulldozer through the traditional kung fu and karate world." seems confused between cultures and effective marital disciplines .

Use what is effective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S845Rn-K6Q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfNi0l-VupE

I found this book is be a fun and informative read."

good write up
windwalker
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Great interview, thanks for posting! Loved American Shaolin when it came out, will have to read tapped out as well. Think he has a very balanced view, having trained both TCMA and MMA.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sat May 12, 2018 1:26 am

A Singaporean friend of mine trained a bit at Shaolin temple in the 90s, I will have to recommend him this book
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan