Bought a new Ford Fiesta

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Bought a new Ford Fiesta

Postby Peacedog on Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Purchased a commuter car for work today.

It is a Ford Fiesta. While these are quite popular in Europe and the UK, they are currently on sale for below cost in the US as Ford has announced it is getting out of the passenger car business in the US.

I paid roughly $10K USD for a brand new 2018 base model with 14 miles/22 km on it.

It is actually quite pleasant and a real surprise. Decent power, excellent gas mileage and the ride is quite smooth.

If anyone needs a commuter car in the US, I highly recommend buying one. I paid roughly $6k below MSRP.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Re: Bought a new Ford Fiesta

Postby aamc on Mon May 21, 2018 3:55 pm

aamc
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon May 21, 2018 5:33 pm

would love to try the ST version. there aren't many really hot hatches any more. 200 hp for 2700 lbs isn't that great on paper, though, but the price is pretty right. unless you are sufficiently gear headed to get a 2200 lb civic and tune it.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Mon May 21, 2018 5:46 pm

While that sounds like a good deal, I'm guessing maintenance would be more expensive since it's discontinued?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon May 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Nice car! I just test drove one.

Congratulations!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 am

Actually, Ford is continuing the car in Europe/UK as it is apparently a big seller over there. So, parts shouldn't be a problem. The engine is the standard I-4 1.6L that has been around for ages and no availability issues will come with that either.

I think you would be okay buying one.

The dealership I dealt with also mentioned that it is one of the lower volume warranty work cars as well, which is a fancy way of saying that while under warranty they don't tend to break very often. Apparently 150,000 to 200,000 lifetime miles is pretty common.

Similar discounts are out on the higher end models, so if you ever wanted an ST now might be a good time. Since this is a commuter, I needed an automatic. But the ST looked really nice.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed May 23, 2018 4:23 am

Automatic? That's a paddlin'.

;)

Nice tout, gonna check it out.
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Wed May 23, 2018 4:38 am

It has a six speed automatic and is surprisingly peppy for such a basic car.

At 2600lbs curb weight it is only slightly heavier than my first generation RX-7 at 2300-2500lbs. Yet the Fiesta has 120hp vs 105hp in the RX-7.

The Fiesta is front wheel drive though versus the RX-7s rear wheel drive.

Overall, great fit and finish.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed May 23, 2018 4:42 am

Was just reading some online reviews that the 6 speed automatic has a double clutch that slows it down compared to the smaller engine with a 5 speed manual.

Ten grand for a new car seems like a bargain.
Michael

Postby everything on Wed May 23, 2018 8:40 am

peacedog, what else did you look at? 10k is amazing.

on a tangent, it's hard to believe Ford is giving up on cars in US! This article says it will only have two models: Focus Active, and Mustang. Everything else is trucks, SUVs, etc.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/ford-is ... ehind.html
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed May 23, 2018 10:44 am

Everything else was several thousand more.

Even a Honda Civic was significantly more. Including the Toyota Yaris, which was my second choice.

For the price nothing else was even close. I'm just really happy it ended up being such a nice car.

Ford has never really done well on the smaller cars. In general, outside of a few very densely populated areas like NYC and Chicago small cars are more of a loss leader in the US than anything else. My guess is that Ford did a calculation of the penalties for not meeting the imposed fuel economy standards across their product line versus the loses they were taking on carrying cars that didn't really sell.

The number one selling vehicle in the US is the Ford F-150 and has been for a long time.

Outside the two before mentioned cities and the specific need for a commuter car, as in my case, smaller cars don't really sell in the US.
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed May 23, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Good score!

Hard to believe Ford is abandoning the market that made them great, but times change.

https://youtu.be/8OjQlnE6zBg
Last edited by klonk on Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed May 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Michael wrote:Automatic? That's a paddlin'.

;)

Nice tout, gonna check it out.

During something uncomfortably close to half a century of driving I have had fewer repairs needed with automatic transmissions. One man for datum does not an argument make, and it is possible that when you give me a stick shift I am a bit of a Mario.

The quaint idea of downshifting for corners and rocketing out was obsolete with BMW's invention of the antiskid brake. You are not going to lock a wheel, because the computer won't let you do that, so you can brake while you corner, no problem.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed May 23, 2018 9:26 pm

It's not about technology, it's about user experience and enjoyment, control and skill. Otherwise soon we can just use self-driving mode.
everything
Wuji

Postby klonk on Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm

everything wrote:It's not about technology, it's about user experience and enjoyment, control and skill. Otherwise soon we can just use self-driving mode.

Truly said. I really liked dumping a sports car into a corner in third, so the rear wheels were slowing the car from behind, rather like a parachute behind a jet airplane.

You gain nothing by that exercise unless you are driving a car that has no skills of its own. If you have antilock brakes, simply stab the brake and turn.
Last edited by klonk on Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic