The secret of Tai Chi is not transmitted! 99% don't know

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The secret of Tai Chi is not transmitted! 99% don't know

Postby marvin8 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Videos Worth Watching
Published on May 30, 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbkoRXo23CY
marvin8
Wuji

Re: The secret of Tai Chi is not transmitted! 99% don't know

Postby charles on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:51 am

Who's statement is it, "The secret of Tai Chi is not transmitted! 99% don't know"? Is that stated in the video or is that your comment regarding the video?
charles
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:56 am

it's the title of the vid
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:00 am

Nothing secret or even unusual is transmitted in that vid, so as far as the title, the vid certainly makes a point... :P ... -toilet-
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:11 am

charles wrote:Who's statement is it, "The secret of Tai Chi is not transmitted! 99% don't know"? Is that stated in the video or is that your comment regarding the video?

The poster titled it. Then, I used google translate. Could be just click bait.

I thought it showed some timing, angles and english subtitles. So, I posted it.
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby charles on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:41 am

Okay. Thanks. It does show some timing, angles and English subtitles.

My take-home message was that the secret of Taijiquan is to push your opponent away.
charles
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 am

My take-home message was that the secret of Taijiquan is to push your opponent away.

hahaha. I thought the same.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:17 am

That is the secret. Now we have to kill you. By pushing you. You are warned.

Fear us!
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:05 am

The mechanics of a good push are the same as a strike
Pushing is just another method of strike training
Increase the speed and deliver it from a point off the body
This guys applications are mediocre at best but give a classical perspective
The first application shows his understanding is rudimentary at best
Yet it is better than a lot I see
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby charles on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:16 pm

wayne hansen wrote:The mechanics of a good push are the same as a strike
Pushing is just another method of strike training
Increase the speed and deliver it from a point off the body

There's "long power" and "short power". Pushing is more or less long power. Short power is different. At least in my experience.
charles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Yes a push is long power even though it can also be short power
In a long power movement there are various short movements
However I admit that most people don't know to apply short power
I prefer to call them prolonged energy and abrupt energy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 pm

If a push (‘long power’) is more like a shove forwards then it’s difficult to translate this into short power. (Not too sure about the quality of the man in the video here...). But if the push is based on a sinking of the body and a relaxing of the arms, then in my experience the transfer to short power is a lot easier. I like to train/teach a push as a partner exercise where the ‘dummy’ (B) stands in a moderate bow stance and the pusher (A) stands in a parallel stance relative to the partner. If A can then project B backwards with a clear push and maintaining relaxed arms without A himself falling (or swaying) forwards or backwards in the process, then I find this translates quite well into short power. The time span is then much shorter, the vectors more convergent and the mind more ‘severe’ in intent, but the ‘relaxation’ (or ‘song’ or whatever) remains.

If your experience is different, Wayne or Charles, then please tell !
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 am

There are other methods, but this is one brief way, to distinguish one type of short power from long power, while maintaining whole body movement coordinated with reverse breathing:

Short Power:
Use of centerline: The body turns around the centerline. A fast, sharp movement.
Use of Dantian: A sudden expansion of the dantian stabilize and make the movement sharper, coordinated together with the sudden body movement upon impact.
(here the rules is "when one part moves, all of the body moves, when one part stops, every body part stops together.")

Long Power:
Use of centerline: The whole body including the centerline follow through the movement. Usually through weight/stance shift or following step.
Use of Dantian: The Dantian doesn't settle, or complete expansion until the body has followed through the whole movement. The body is already returning and contracting when the Dantian complete it's expansion.
(Here, the body doesn't need to stop together, but the whole body must be in movement and continue the movement after the contact with the opponent is broken.)

Again there are other ways of describing and also different methods of generating long and short power.

And of course, this is not meant as an intellectual description. It's the exact way you need to physically use the body, something you need to learn how to do.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 am

I can go with what you describe there, Bao. Although IMO the turning around the centreline in short power is an amplifier of the technique, kind of the cream on top of the cake, not an essential component for generating the power. In practice it will indeed usually happen simply because one hand is striking and the waist/hips are relaxed. The centreline turning normally wouldn't happen if you get the opportunity for a short-power double palm strike to the face/chin or the heart.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:54 am

Giles wrote:But if the push is based on a sinking of the body and a relaxing of the arms, then in my experience the transfer to short power is a lot easier.

One can generate force - "long" or "short" - by expansion/opening or by contraction/closing. In both of these there is sinking of the body, but at different points in the sequence. The arms should always be "relaxed", but not limp, regardless of opening or closing. So, your description doesn't, for me, isn't what distinguishes long from short power.

In some styles, the entire body doesn't do one thing. That is, parts of the body do one thing, open or close, while parts of the body do another, open or close, but in a coordinated way. In that case, some parts open, some close, some expand, some contract. That can be done while shifting weight or not.

If A can then project B backwards with a clear push and maintaining relaxed arms without A himself falling (or swaying) forwards or backwards in the process, then I find this translates quite well into short power.!

The salient point of the exercise you describe seems to be that there is no linear translation of the centreline, per Bao's point. There are probably lots of ways one could describe the distinction between long and short power. Bao's description captures some of that with his stating that long power involves follow-through and a translation (weight shift between legs) of the centreline, while short power doesn't. That distinction works for styles that do shift weight while pushing, but doesn't include those that don't (e.g. Hong style). In other words, its possible to push (long power) without necessarily shifting weight.

As you pointed out, duration of force transfer is one of the distinctions between long and short power. Another is that in long power, the object is to move the opponent through a distance; in short power the object is not to move the opponent.
Last edited by charles on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links