RIP Anthony Bourdain

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:18 am

R.I.P. I'm sorry to hear it was suicide. In a way, I wish it weren't true. He seemed to love life too much to give it away.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 am

Goddamnit. This makes me really sad - he seemed like a great guy and I was looking forward to reading more about his adventures in Jiujitsu.

Fuck.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:44 am

Very sad news. I have long been a fan and will fly tonight to his favorite place and try and have a bit of a foodie adventure to honor him.

R.I.P.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Tragic loss!

I loved everything he did. It always reminded me of my own traveling days.

So full of life and adventure and started training bjj just a few years ago which at his age is saying a lot!

He had something for everyone.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:27 am

"The Renzo Gracie Academy lost one of its most beloved members today. Mr Anthony Bourdain was an enthusiastic student of the art and loved by all for his kind and quiet demeanor that made it a joy and privilege to share the mats with him. He was a gentle soul and traveler who traversed borders and generations bringing the gift of conversation and story telling - gift wrapped in cuisine - but whose real effect was to make listeners from every strata of society, from the greatest to the least, reflect upon themselves in ways that when the talk ended, you knew yourself a little better and felt a little wiser. In a harsh, competitive and divided world he was a spokesman for the power of simple joys to bring people together, initially at the table, but ultimately at the mind. Food was just the medium - not the message - the deeper lesson was always harmony based around the insight that the pleasures of the dinner table are the same for one and all, and thus that division can be broken down by the simple joys of life that can make us see what is the same in all of us instead of what is different.

Peace to the departed and strength to those who remain"

John Danaher

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby KurtRobbins on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:22 am

What an amazing and inspirational individual. Mental health needs to be given more precedent, attention, and empathy in the world.

Rest In Peace Anthony
Forever student and forever beginner as my life passion.
KurtRobbins
Santi

Postby yeniseri on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:19 pm

He will be sadly missed!
I got more interested in him due to his Gracie affiliation but mental health is not on the list where one spends money to rehabilitate those who need help.
The Reagan administration initiated this policy and it has been downhill ever since due to many sources of funding disappearing and mental health institutions closing.

Defense budget, yes, Mental health, No
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:25 am

They have been showing a Parts Unknown marathon on the CNN this weekend.

It is unfortunate that people are not more like Anthony Bourdain in trying to understand different people from different parts of the world who hold different views.

We need more of that in this world instead of what we have which is just me, me, me...
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic