North Korea South Korea Sitting in a Tree

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: North Korea South Korea Sitting in a Tree

Postby grzegorz on Sun May 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Oh! Trump changed his mind....again....
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun May 27, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu May 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Kim's busy, yesterday held a meeting with Lavrov. Could he be fishing for the best deal for NK/himself, who will it be US or China or Russia or maybe all of them. Will Kim be the mediator that bring the superpowers closer to ...............? Maybe a peace price to Kim :)
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu May 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Or a Peace Prize :)
Trick

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu May 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Something I haven't looked into, but which I think is very important, is whether or not sanctions can be overcome or circumvented without US approval. Can the rest of the world work around the US, who has already demonstrated that they will not honor denuclearization deals? If so, that would likely be the best way for N. Korea to proceed.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 am

It is funny. We could have peace with the Norks and we had peace with the Iran. The economy is strong (thanks Obama!) and although we still have some issues (number of Americans who died in PR are now listed at over 4,000, thanks to president Propecea) I continually hear from Trump supporters on the mainland how screwed up everything is. Well I suppose there is always Trump University to improve their lives...

Deplorables? Probably not but Trump supporters are just miserable people.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:04 am, edited 8 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 pm

So the NK & US meeting came to reality and some agreement have been signed, so far so good. It's a really big historical meeting that no other president and chairman managed to pull off, hope good things for all parts will come out of it.
Trick

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:09 am

Seems like a positive meeting. I hope things continue similarly.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:51 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Seems like a positive meeting. I hope things continue similarly.

Seems like it went reather well

"Kim Jong-un Commits to denuclearization: ‘We Have Left the Past Behind’"

"The pair signed documents which vowed to establish diplomatic relations between the two countries with a commitment from North Korea to denuclearize the Korean peninsula."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4uVe9NEKs
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:24 am

This interview with America's greatest diplomat (among active contenders) is worth a look.

The Worm turns and saves the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npqGpLR-Ooo
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 am

I'd like to see something come out of this.

But given the fact that the Norks have burned every US presidency that tried to negotiate with them verification is going to be key.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 am

Michael wrote:This interview with America's greatest diplomat (among active contenders) is worth a look.

Yeah, I've watched it. No surprise that Obama didn't even want him to meet with anyone from the White House. Obama is one of those who Kim spoke about who breaks promises. The former president is the very reason for the escalating problems and NK's rage against the US. Not a big fan of Trump as a president or as a person, but for dealing with the problems right here, he certainly does better than any of the former ones.
... But about Rodman's part of it I have great doubt about ... and do not to forget that Xi Jiping has done far more as a diplomat than the Worm.

Peacedog wrote:But given the fact that the Norks have burned every US presidency that tried to negotiate with them verification is going to be key.

US have never tried to negotiate, but instead tried to control with threats and got the whole world together to punish them with sanctions. The US have caused the vast majority of NK's problems and poverty. And have never ever showed any will to listen. Oh, well, The Obama administration had a deal going, but they ripped it up in the last second. So who burned who can be disputed.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:19 am

I thought it was hilarious in that interview with CNN, after Rodman was done, James Clapper comes on and starts talking about how doing business with a brutal dictator like Kim is wrong, their human rights, blah, blah, blah, but it's pragmatic to talk to them, or somesuch horseshit. Hilarious.

IMHO, in regards to "human rights", or even common sense for not getting cheated, China is infinitely worse than NK to do business with, or have diplomatic relations with, but powerful people in the West dearly, dearly, deeply love how the Chinese government gets things done. And geez, if we don't trade with the Chinese, the other guys will, so our hands are tied. Gotta do what's best for the stockholders.

Before the West started trading with China, North Korea was richer and NK people on the border gave food to starving Chinese, or sold black market goods to them. Now the West gives everything to China and puts sanctions on NK, who are destitute, and then we blame the NK govt for being despots. But the Chinese aren't because their literal slave labor, as well as sweat shop factories, give the impression of increasing profits.

If there is any moral principle being applied by the USA or the West to China, besides the profit motive, I certainly can't find it. What's really hilarious is that the foolish Trump seems to have actually made a series of deals with Xi that require NK to give up it's nukes and Trump to help China do bidness in America, like clearing the ZTE deal, which the Senate appears to be ready to squash. Thank Ford that multiple dunderheads working against each other are right twice a day like a broken clock.
Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 am

But given the fact that the Norks have burned every US presidency that tried to negotiate with them verification is going to be key.

And the Chinese? Certainly beyond reproach. lol

And yet there seems to be only one powerful country that seems to have been trustworthy with for weapons reduction agreements is Enemy Numero Uno, those dastardly Rooskies.
Michael

Postby BruceP on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Michael, stop being so miserable
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Michael,

Unelected governments in general have a bad track record with this.

The Soviets violated every arms agreement they ever made.

My issue with NK negotiations is that any US government activity should be centered on actions that collapse that odious regime. Anything that extends it's lifespan, I'm not in favor of.
Peacedog
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic