some of the old timers

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

some of the old timers

Postby everything on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm

man it seems like some of the long-time posters left. :-\

either not posting or their name has turned to one of those non-linked usernames.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: some of the old timers

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 am

Welcome to a-few-years-ago... :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 am

Quite a few are still lurking or at least many visit occasionally. But so many things have already been said and discussed over the 20 :o years since the old EF started. I am very pleased that so many are still visiting and contributing, even if it happens not so often. I can still learn new things and hear other people’s perspective. The RSF is a rare place, well worth to keep running. And in fact it’s a very well visited place, though only a few care to get into the discussions.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Dmitri wrote:Welcome to a-few-years-ago... :)

haha yeah
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Bao wrote:Quite a few are still lurking or at least many visit occasionally. But so many things have already been said and discussed over the 20 :o years since the old EF started. I am very pleased that so many are still visiting and contributing, even if it happens not so often. I can still learn new things and hear other people’s perspective. The RSF is a rare place, well worth to keep running. And in fact it’s a very well visited place, though only a few care to get into the discussions.

yeah all our normal discussions do get a bit old. tjq vs. mma what is internal, etc., etc.. maybe those guys just got tired of it. I only was on the old ef a little. I know reddit has great forums for every topic, but I like the RSF take on the OTT and miscellaneous MA and non MA subjects. I also like the longevity of the crowd of all you "familiar strangers". I don't know those guys who aren't here but it still seems weird some people aren't here that often. if there were a way to search the "Great Old Ones" category, I'm sure a lot of people aren't posting.
everything
Wuji

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:13 pm

I think that a lot are still here, but they are just a lot less vocal (and sometimes under different names).

As for the others - where did they go? ;D (Maybe Facebook?)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:09 am

edededed wrote:I think that a lot are still here, but they are just a lot less vocal (and sometimes under different names).

yep kind of bullshit if you ask me...

Why not just be upfront about it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rumsoakedfist

the official rum soaked fist facebook group! is on Facebook.
To connect with the official rum soaked fist facebook group!, sign up for Facebook today.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:11 am

windwalker wrote:
edededed wrote:I think that a lot are still here, but they are just a lot less vocal (and sometimes under different names).

yep kind of bullshit if you ask me...

Why not just be upfront about it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rumsoakedfist

the official rum soaked fist facebook group! is on Facebook.
To connect with the official rum soaked fist facebook group!, sign up for Facebook today.

I don't use and understand facebook as much. What is the purpose of having two separate places (forum and facebook page) to post information? Why do some post there and not the forums?
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:18 am

I don't know for sure why the Facebook page was created, but I know that it helps when this website goes down. I can't say why some decide to post there and not here or vice versa.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 am

Oh, and many of the old-timers are actually old-timers with other things to do. Many of the most typical "martial arts" threads are just beating horses that were well beaten decades ago. It's not a bad thing, just not interesting. It's why I tend to post more about contemporary topics that have nothing to do with martial arts.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 am

Steve James wrote:I don't know for sure why the Facebook page was created, but I know that it helps when this website goes down. I can't say why some decide to post there and not here or vice versa.

The question should be when was it created, and why was it not announced here.

A bad move, not making people aware of it....not honest :-\

Do you post there?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:55 am

I have no idea when it was created. But, you could always ask.

Well, whoever started it could have announced it on this board. Then again, if this board being down was the reason for starting a Facebook page in the first place, how would he or she have let everyone know. I can't even remember how I found out except that I have a Facebook page. Anyway, I don't think it's anyone's responsibility to announce the creation of a page.

Do you post there?

:) I'll check. I know that I did post there once ... that the RSF site was down. But, other than that, I think I have to say that I don't post there. I do read the posts whenever I look at Facebook. Hmm, ok, I just looked at the page. There are a lot of people whose names I've never seen here, but I see a few old names. Everyone seems to use his or her real names, too. Some of the subject threads are on non ima-related martial arts subjects, btw.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am

Oh, now I remember. I found out about it because I was trying to find a way to contact Kelly because RSF was down. In fact, he doesn't get enough credit for keeping this site running. So, a Facebook page would take a lot of responsibility off his shoulders. Not that I'm suggesting everyone to go to Facebook. I think this is a better vehicle for discussion. Facebook is, imo, better for simply sharing -which has its good and bad points.

Hey, there might be Instagram and Twitter accounts, but I'll never know. And I won't be offended if someone starts one. ;)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 am

Steve James wrote:

I have no idea when it was created. But, you could always ask.

Well, whoever started it could have announced it on this board. Then again, if this board being down was the reason for starting a Facebook page in the first place, how would he or she have let everyone know. I guess posting a link in the header wouldn't work I can't even remember how I found out except that I have a Facebook page. Anyway, I don't think it's anyone's responsibility to announce the creation of a page.

When it uses the same name and subject matter as many post here, I'd say its dishonest
apparently since you and others knew about it, it didn't matter. Wonder why ?

Do you post there?

:) I'll check. I know that I did post there once ... that the RSF site was down. But, other than that, I think I have to say that I don't post there. I do read the posts whenever I look at Facebook. Hmm, ok, I just looked at the page. There are a lot of people whose names I've never seen here, but I see a few old names. Everyone seems to use his or her real names, too.
How do you know its their real name, is this in an issue.

Some of the subject threads are on non ima-related martial arts subjects, btw.

So in other words, you and some others including the site creators knew of this but choose not to say anything here until someone brought it up.
If the issue was about having a back up site which I dont buy,
it would seem like it would have been announced here to give people an option, the same option could be used
if this site will be shut down or went off line for an extended period of time.

It just seems like a BS move.......
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:36 am

:) Whine on. I could care more. Do you have a Facebook account? If not, why are you calling anyone dishonest? If you do, go to the site and see how dishonest it is. Nobody's dis-invited you. Like I said, I don't know why the FB page was started or who started it. I don't think anyone was trying to hide anything from you.

How do I know if it's a real name? I don't. But, I assume that people will be honest. I can certainly be wrong. All I know is that I use my own real name (except that I cheat by not using Stephen and leave out the middle name).
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic