Tai Chi Notebook course

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai Chi Notebook course

Postby I-mon on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Have you considered putting in some sort of structure testing with a partner to help people understand the concept of "root"?
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:22 am

I-mon wrote:Have you considered putting in some sort of structure testing with a partner to help people understand the concept of "root"?

Well, that's an interesting question. If we unpack it a bit it assumes there is a concept called "Root" which we can agree on and we can test it with "structure testing".

Hmm...One of the things I've noticed and come to understand about martial arts over the years is that a lot of people substitute "structure" instead of creating a proper connection to the ground. These are two different things in my opinion.

What I'm trying to show in week 6 was how to work on developing that connection to the ground - basic jin - from an incoming force without using "structure" or a "frame" to support it. Obviously there needs to be some substance to the body (Qi) for this to work - you can't be just a sloppy bean bag (weak qi!) but the usual reaction is to try to do too much with the structure - creating a frame to support weight, rather than letting it drop to the feet (ground). This is working with gravity, not against it.

Sure, there are lots more exercises that could be done to support this, but it gets too far away from the basic course I'm trying to present.

Good question.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:30 am

Sounds good man. Language is difficult, we could say "developing peng", or any number of other things, and we'd still struggle to agree on what we were even talking about a lot of the time I'm sure.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:59 am

edit
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:19 am

I think you're pretty far off the mark Bao, but I don't want to get into a fruitless discussion of what rooting means. It's hard to get a discussion out of that wormhole once it's gone down there, so here's something else - part 7 of the course. Let's get back on track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Dw0pDADkA

This week we look at the negative circle, and experiment with different sizes of circle.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:59 am

Speaking about my own personal experience only... things you appearently don't share.

... Not in the mood to quarrell...

Watched your vid, the new and others again. Your legs and knees are not very stable. ... So appearently you don't understand what I am speaking about ... :P
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:55 am

And here's the last part. Looking at the back bow, which takes us full circle.

https://youtu.be/LFhv5ZiIRD8

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links