World Cup

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: World Cup

Postby KEND on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:33 pm

England has easier route to final, looks like France as I predicted shoul be a strong contender. Curious that Ronaldo and Messi arguably the two best players in the world failed to score in the world cup
KEND
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:04 am

Definitely easier now with Spain out!

2014 champs, 2010 champs, 2016 Euro champs, 2014 runners up all out!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Glad Crotia won because they worked harder.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:44 pm

same here.

it's either a cinderella story, or a bit unfair, because the better teams can crash out. my favorite sport, but hate the PK endings. if you are the lesser team, you should love it.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:12 pm

I have Japan and Belgium left to root for...so either way I am winning today!
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Wow, that was some game. This has become one of the best WCs that I've watched. Every game has been interesting and exciting.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 am

Eng vs COL rough game, I felt COL had a slight edge but ENG made it through, lots of yellow cards, surprised there weren't some red cards ENG will have to up its game to get to the final, not enough passion at the moment
KEND
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 am

all my English friends have taken up the familiar refrain of 'this is our year!' I'd say it could actually be the case this time
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:09 pm

very good odds that Croatia or England from the weaker side of the bracket will be in the final!

lower odds that either could defeat Brazil or France, but you never know!
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:51 pm

All the remaining teams are pretty good. Don't count Uruguay out. And Russia is a big question mark because they are the home team and the crowd support will be tangible. They're not better than any of the remaining teams, but ya never know, especially if it comes down to a shootout.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Definitely.

The number crunchers at five thirty eight predict the four favored teams to have 64ish% chance to progress to semis. Not that their predictions have been coming so true.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/
everything
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 am

England should get past Sweden but I don't see them beating Brazil or France either of which should be the eventual winner
KEND
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Yow!!!

Can't believe the Brazil Belgium game. Just one somewhat random deflection can be so game changing. That is one thing that irritates me about soccer. It seems to have more randomness than other top team sports.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Brazil had chances, but blew 'em. Luck was not on their side; Belgium had a good defense, and kept Brazil chasing.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:50 pm

I still can't believe it. Brazil had something like 40 shots. Courtois did well to deflect Neymar's good shot. Coutinho should've hit the target when Neymar cut it back. Perhaps Marcelo should've gotten a tiny bit closer to De Bruyne. It's hard to say because he could blow by you if you close the space too much or with bad timing.

Now France looks like the "best" team, but it doesn't seem likely the "best" team will win (normally). Still, France is ranked #2, and Belgium #3 in Elo ratings (nevermind the stupid FIFA rankings which will change to Elo soon), so these are the top two teams in the world, about to play a semi-final. Hopefully the best team wins, and the final is as dramatic and exciting as it should be, and not some kind of letdown.
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic