Sink the shoulders

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Sink the shoulders

Postby littlepanda on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 am

littlepanda
Anjing

Re: Sink the shoulders

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:53 am

Interesting, I'll have to play with that, thanks for posting.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby charles on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:33 am

oragami_itto wrote:Interesting, I'll have to play with that, thanks for posting.

What he has described, though not very explicitly, is one part of the "opening" (kai) of the torso found in Taijiquan body mechanics.
charles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 am

Taijiquan, what's taijiquan?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Is this you little panda
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Sigh, it's called "relax the shoulders and sink the elbows"...this is basic kung fu overly explaned.

If the power is correct out to the finger tips (thus your extremities) then it goes without question that the basics are there...you just need to test it from one perspective and from the user pov is it comfortable and pain free?

This video is wrong imo....it's not only about keeping this scapula blade sunk and flat (not winged) = its about relaxing and letting the humerus bone out of the shoulder joint.

(!) When the humerus bone is relaxed properly, there will be a divot or shallow cavity at the top of your shoulder. Think of the bone either grinding in the joint or held out away, as if being held by bungy cords.
I've pretty much said or written this a bunch of times on here and i know others have chimed in about it in a very similar way.

In his example, raising my arm...I can keep my scapula flat but still have my humerus bone grinding (incorrectly) not relaxed from my joint.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Bhassler on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Subitai wrote:Sigh, it's called "relax the shoulders and sink the elbows"...this is basic kung fu overly explaned.

It's nothing to do with kung fu, per se. It's just a basic physical therapy/movement education video, not MA specific. As far as it goes, it's pretty much in line with the "sound bite wisdom" that's prevalent... everywhere. It's okay advice if your shoulder girdle is otherwise working properly, but if someone has other restrictions, it's just as likely to damage soft tissue as to protect anything.

I really think folks could benefit from expanding their understanding of their arms to include not just the scapulae, but also the clavicles, sternum, first ring of the ribs, and first thoracic vertebra. Once that all gets differentiated and coordinated, a lot of other conversation becomes moot.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby littlepanda on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:01 am

wayne hansen wrote:Is this you little panda

No

Here's Part 2 :Train the shoulders

littlepanda
Anjing

Return to Video Links