The Energy Foundation of BAGUA Circling — Scott Meredith

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The Energy Foundation of BAGUA Circling — Scott Meredith

Postby marvin8 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:18 am

Scott Meredith
Published on Sep 2, 2018

This video teaches the 3 key training points of traditional Ba Gua circle walking. These are essential for developing the internal power of the art. Check out 8 Vimeo full-length instructional films on Tai Chi, Xingyi, and traditional weapons for internal power development: https://vimeo.com/user41495533/vod_pages
This Ba Gua Circles video is free, if you want to tip head over to: https://www.patreon.com/arc_
There is another, additional 2nd layer of advanced practice of this same basic circle walk and single change, which I may cover in a "Volume II" at some future time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEW6hDBfd34
marvin8
Wuji

Re: The Energy Foundation of BAGUA Circling — Scott Meredith

Postby everything on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:30 am

Super helpful thanks. Ironically, unlike even xyq and tjq, baguazhang came in part directly from qigong (according to stories of Dong meeting Taoists in the mountains), yet no videos ever seem to cover this aspect, so good to hear some of this instruction.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:31 am

p.s. 1: what happened to the person in your avatar pic hahaha
p.s. 2: you must have the best MA subscriptions on youtube and look at them 15 hours per day hahaha
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:02 pm

everything wrote:p.s. 1: what happened to the person in your avatar pic hahaha

Panda using ling kong jin, flashing right hand and foot points to victim at the right time and distance causing the reaction. Panda should have finished by helping her up and getting a phone number.

everything wrote:p.s. 2: you must have the best MA subscriptions on youtube and look at them 15 hours per day hahaha
No subscriptions. But, spending more than ample time on youtube. :)
marvin8
Wuji

Postby edededed on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Could a kind person post some of the main points discussed in the video? ;)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:52 pm

paraphrasing
- the outer form stuff looks cool yeah.
- sweeps and trips are super cool and fun yeah.
- that's not what I will talk about. I'll talk about the energy work
- bagua is the best for working on this.
- sweeps are super cool but if you don't work on this you got the present but didn't unwrap it. why? why not? do it.
- what are the basics that I talk about in my books? "ARC" (his vocabulary)
- accumulate/activate - energy in dantian
- rebound - energy down and rebounding up from feet/earth connection
- catch - energy is flowing, felt in forearms and palms
- all of the lesson material is really in the first lesson. in this case, single palm change.
- single palm change details and posture relationship to work on the energy. rewatching this part so will try to summarize later.
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Is this the mud step or not.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27299&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

He seems to have a lot of bouncing in his stepping movement.
Is that normal.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:46 pm

windwalker wrote:Is this the mud step or not.

Is that normal.

No it's not mud steps, he use natural or plain steps. This is more the way you walk in Sun style Bagua. Cheng style primarily use mud steps. Other styles might have more varied use of different types of footwork.
This is mud steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t29SuJ_0-8c

Toe meet the ground first. Then you slide with the foot. The whole foot should be as close as possible to the ground all of the time. You can see that there's some shift of height due to the footwork, but other than that you should try to keep the same height as you walk.

Don't know from what tradition this gent have learned Bagua. It seems Sun style from the footwork, but not from the positioning and alignment of the hands. Many Sun Bagua stylists tend to walk a bit bumpy because they are more or less just taught to walk like they always do. This is wrong though, there should still be sinking, both a sinking of posture and internal sinking. One should also try to keep an even height while circle walking.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:34 am

Mr Meredith nicely presented important points,
but
I`m not quite satisfied from his turn,
I learned circle walk with more tie and visible figure 8 step, and closer to body + higher hand change /hidden lotus /
but
I`m not Bagua teacher.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:16 am

Bao wrote:
windwalker wrote:Is this the mud step or not.

Is that normal.

No it's not mud steps, he use natural or plain steps. This is more the way you walk in Sun style Bagua. Cheng style primarily use mud steps. Other styles might have more varied use of different types of footwork.

Many Sun Bagua stylists tend to walk a bit bumpy because they are more or less just taught to walk like they always do. This is wrong though, there should still be sinking, both a sinking of posture and internal sinking. One should also try to keep an even height while circle walking.

Curious, when doing the BGZ “natural/plain” step does it require any other specific awareness visualization than just sinking in the stepping ?
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:08 am

Depends on who you ask. Some teachers say that not even sinking is required. Some others put a great deal on bringing twisting energy all the way up from the foot.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:18 am

Trick wrote:Curious, when doing the BGZ “natural/plain” step does it require any other specific awareness visualization than just sinking in the stepping ?

Yes. It is a very specific training method with many difficult postural and movement requirements.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:51 am

I-mon wrote:
Trick wrote:Curious, when doing the BGZ “natural/plain” step does it require any other specific awareness visualization than just sinking in the stepping ?

Yes. It is a very specific training method with many difficult postural and movement requirements.

Maybe there should be one specific methods... But there's not "a very specific training method". There are few different. Just one difference is about hips. Some teach that you should turn the hips slightly towards the center of the circle and not twist your waist too much. Some others says that the hips should be kept straight and turn the waist only. The different methods have very different impact on the knees, so how you place the weight in the steps must be adjusted accordingly. Different teachers also teach less or more curved spine which has an impact on the height of the stances/footwork. There's no real standard.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:58 pm

True. Just trying to clear up any ideas people might have that it's "just walking in a circle".
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:56 am

So how has it been cleared up ? Peoples/teachers ideas on the topic seem to vary(on the stepping, not the circling)
Trick

Next

Return to Video Links