Wang Rengang

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Wang Rengang

Postby SCMT on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:53 am

Anyone know who was Wang Rengang's Dachengquan sifu was?
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Re: Wang Rengang

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:24 pm

According to a Chinese article written by one of Wang Rengang's students, WRG studied Dachengquan with Wang Xuanjie himself. However, I cannot find Wang Rengang's name in lists of Wang Xuanjie's disciples, so it is an open question as to how long and how much of Wang Xuanjie's system he learnt.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby edededed on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:53 pm

To be fair to Wang Rengang, though, whether or not he will be written in any lists will depend on a lot of factors - whether other disciples liked him or not, and so forth. It is certainly tough to get to the heart of the matter in CMA sometimes, though! CMA seems to be 50% about martial arts, and 50% about hiding things.

(It's all hearsay in the end - for example, I've heard stories of so-and-so bagua guy (a fairly young guy still active now) easily defeating Wang Xuanjie back then... but I dunno, I wasn't there :D )

On the other hand, since most guys seem to get bad flack from everyone, I wonder about people like Ma Yueliang, who I have not heard much negative stories about (except from the Wu family in Hong Kong, of course)... What does one have to do to be respected by most of the wulin?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby SCMT on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 am

Thanks, I had a chance to meet him and do a little push hands with him and I was impressed. I thought he said he trained with his sifu in the 50s when he was a teenager and I thought he said "Wang Xuanjie". But looking at him and watching him do a Taiji a Mantis demo I found it hard to believe he was pushing 70 or in his 70s, so I thought I heard wrong. But if that is the case he is damn impressive
Last edited by SCMT on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby Bob on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:54 am

Wang Rengang is one of the finest martial artists I have ever met (he came to a number of our tournaments in Akron). He was well-respected by Master Sun Deyao of the taiji meihua mantis line. He demonstrated Yi Quan on numerous occasions and everyone I knew was quite impressed. I also saw his mantis and felt it was excellent.

Good guy!!! A real gentleman.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:16 pm

I met him once, and he was very nice, and very skilled. I was still a beginner in bagua/xingyi back then (and knew almost nothing about mantis or yiquan), and showed him a little - he thought my bagua was okay, but my xingyi needed work :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby SCMT on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Well, he impressed the hell out of me. And he was a real nice guy too. Very approachable. If i lived closer to his school i would go train me some yiquan
Last edited by SCMT on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby CrushingFist on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Been hearing about Wang for about a decade now!
CrushingFist
Santi

Return to Request a Teacher